Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM "Bid for your upgrade".

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:04 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Fail - keep on trying to use it and errors out at the end with 501. Tried calling the diamond desk, KLM service desk, twitter - ALL FAIL.

I want to give them my money and they won't take it apparently. Tried on over 3 computers 3 different browsers from multiple IP addresses.
Originally Posted by scottinaz
I have the same problem. Did you come up with a solution to this problem? I called KLM customer service but got a Delta person who was not familiar with the KLM bid for upgrade.
I had the same problem. KLM twitter support could not help. Then I solved the problem myself. Seems the API details sent over (flight booked by Delta but KLM flight #) included my KTN. Once I cleaned up my API with only applicable information (such as my passport, since a KTN is not necessary ex-AMS) it worked.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
I don't recall putting in my known travel number and when I checked back today there is no longer a selection for upgrade yourself. Perhaps it is under maintenance or perhaps there is a time limit on bidding (my flight is over three weeks away).
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
I don't recall putting in my known travel number and when I checked back today there is no longer a selection for upgrade yourself. Perhaps it is under maintenance or perhaps there is a time limit on bidding (my flight is over three weeks away).
There have been problems all day today. I was able to get on once, and not the other times (different itineraries).

In my case (mentioned above), the KTN came from my Delta profile since it was a Delta booked (006) ticket with a combination of KLM (longhaul) and Delta metal.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:57 pm

So you deleted your KTN from your Delta profile and it worked? I can try that. thx
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:14 am

So you deleted your KTN from your Delta profile and it worked? I can try that. thx
NOOOOOOOO!

When/if Delta booked a ticket with KLM metal flights (for me, it's usually a mixture, like the AMS-ATL might be KLM-metal but the return SEA-AMS is Delta-metal) Delta will transmit your API details to the KLM PNR. This is when your KTN might wind up in your KLM PNR. When reviewing your record on KLM.com you can "clean-up" your API and remove your KTN. (which, is not necessary for an ex-AMS flight anyway). On my last AMS-ATL flight the API details were causing the error, so after I "cleaned it up" (the KLM PNR on klm.com under my user ID) corrected one other thing (don't remember) and removed the KTN it allowed me to use the bidding system.

FWIW, once you bid, there is no good reason to keep going back to check. Perhaps, check a few days before to see where you stand. The KLM systems are very buggy and you are just going to "drive yourself crazy" if you are checking on a daily basis (and, quite frankly, this is totally not necessary).

The best link to use to check on your bids or place bids.

GOOD LUCK!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
The KLM systems are very buggy and you are just going to "drive yourself crazy" if you are checking on a daily basis (and, quite frankly, this is totally not necessary).
I believe the proper FT term is to "fly oneself crazy"
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
NOOOOOOOO!

When/if Delta booked a ticket with KLM metal flights (for me, it's usually a mixture, like the AMS-ATL might be KLM-metal but the return SEA-AMS is Delta-metal) Delta will transmit your API details to the KLM PNR. This is when your KTN might wind up in your KLM PNR. When reviewing your record on KLM.com you can "clean-up" your API and remove your KTN. (which, is not necessary for an ex-AMS flight anyway). On my last AMS-ATL flight the API details were causing the error, so after I "cleaned it up" (the KLM PNR on klm.com under my user ID) corrected one other thing (don't remember) and removed the KTN it allowed me to use the bidding system.

FWIW, once you bid, there is no good reason to keep going back to check. Perhaps, check a few days before to see where you stand. The KLM systems are very buggy and you are just going to "drive yourself crazy" if you are checking on a daily basis (and, quite frankly, this is totally not necessary).

The best link to use to check on your bids or place bids.

GOOD LUCK!
Well, I checked my API and there was no KTN or other odd information but I did delete those documents even though they were empty and when I attempted to bid I was successful. So even if you have a blank KTN entry it may block you from bidding. thx
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
It seems people have had difficulty with even placing a bid. I managed to get one go through. does anyone have any experience with success rate?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: LH (SEN), IHG (Plat Amb)
Just as a data point:

I managed to place a bid for an upgrade on DXB-AMS, for 359 EUR, I was the highest bidder. Y was overbooked, with 3 C seats left. The bid was refused and I got op-upped at the gate 30 hours later

The did not last long because after 2 hours trying to take off, the flight got cancelled and I was rebooked on an economy middle-seat at Emirates. Thank you KLM ^

Last edited by jochen_vdk; Mar 12, 2015 at 7:43 am
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Ouch!!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: FB Plat
I am surprised that only 3 c seats were available. emirates has excellent planes and prices for business class - well below klm. I'll be flying to dubai in July and am considering purchasing economy ticket, hoping for the ability to upgrade during check-in for miles or cash.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:08 pm

Well, I checked my API and there was no KTN or other odd information but I did delete those documents even though they were empty and when I attempted to bid I was successful. So even if you have a blank KTN entry it may block you from bidding. thx
I was able to bid for an upgrade on one flight of my trip but now I cant figure out how to bid for the outbound flight? When I click on the link baccarat_king provided and enter my reservation info it takes me to my existing bid. I no longer see a link to bid for an upgrade in my reservation trip details. Is there any other way to submit a bid?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Klmdwsq
I am surprised that only 3 c seats were available. emirates has excellent planes and prices for business class - well below klm. I'll be flying to dubai in July and am considering purchasing economy ticket, hoping for the ability to upgrade during check-in for miles or cash.
AMS-DXB seems to be a good route for KLM,
I see C full regularly, and also Y was full on my flight. I booked KLM because they were much cheaper than Emirates, and I get the eco comfort seat for free, lounge access and so on. Whereas with Emirates I am still a nobody. For a 6h flight, I do not necessarily need C seats.

But indeed, Emirates C is superior and also the Y product is better imo: much better IFE, more legroom, power sockets at all seats...
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:35 am

I was able to bid for an upgrade on one flight of my trip but now I cant figure out how to bid for the outbound flight? When I click on the link baccarat_king provided and enter my reservation info it takes me to my existing bid. I no longer see a link to bid for an upgrade in my reservation trip details. Is there any other way to submit a bid?
Not all flights are eligible, this is managed by KLM rev management. Sometimes only one of the flights in the itin is upgradeable.

And sometimes there is no link in My Bookings, but through the upgrade yourself website, it is still possible to place a bid. And the 30h limit is also not too strict, I could place a bid until 22h before the flight or so.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jochen_vdk
Not all flights are eligible, this is managed by KLM rev management. Sometimes only one of the flights in the itin is upgradeable.

And sometimes there is no link in My Bookings, but through the upgrade yourself website, it is still possible to place a bid. And the 30h limit is also not too strict, I could place a bid until 22h before the flight or so.
Does KLM ever accept any bids after T-30 hours? The webiste might enable you to bid, but it could be the case that KLM doesn't look and decide to accept some of these bids, preferring instead to just sell upgrades at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.