Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM introduces Smart Boarding on EU flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bobsmo
only people making good from this is the Lean Six Sigma Black Belt from Accenture or alike firm who came up with the idea......
So true!!!

With regards to the overhead bin space, I've taken a couple of flights to LHR from AMS over the last couple of weeks (BA) and on both flights the overhead bins above CE were shut during general boarding. Anyone seated in CE had to open a bin to store their bags.

Last Thursday's flight had only 5 in CE so there was plenty of space above their seats but because the bins were closed those travelling in econ (and boarding afterwards) didn't use them - perhaps they assumed they were already full?

Anyway, it worked so there are perhaps ways around this issue. But I agree the CC need to be willing to police it (which on both BA flights they were, so it can be done)

Overall, for me this is just one more way to make flying even more like an unpleasant trip to the (UK) post office....("cashier number 4 please"....)

Horrible.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by Fly Baby
...With regards to the overhead bin space, I've taken a couple of flights to LHR from AMS over the last couple of weeks (BA) and on both flights the overhead bins above CE were shut during general boarding. Anyone seated in CE had to open a bin to store their bags...
Actually, I've occasionally seen this (closed EBC bins) on KL flights, and it mostly works (there are always one or two DYKWIAs that will open them anyway and put their bags in before marching away aft).

And it suggests to me a possible solution if/when Smart Boarding is implemented: if (one or two of) the FAs on board are somehow 'synchronised' with the Ticket-Issuing Robot, then all bins could be closed before boarding, save those over the very last rows, and the FA(s) would move forward as boarding proceeded, opening more forward bins in line with the current boarding sequence number. Anyone caught opening a 'forward' bin (who is NOT an FA) would be shot immediately!

Oh, but then what happens to J-Pax and Elites (boarding 'out of sequence', as is their right)? Well, they would approach the Purser on entry to the aircraft, for permission to open a bin with impunity!

Of course, this would mean slightly more work for the Cabin Crew ...

-- Henry
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:04 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
This sounds like Southwest's boarding system, where everyone gets a number, and there's an opportunity to "buy up" to a lower number if it's available.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: Many
Now I am waiting for the same scheme to be implemented for deboarding
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PTahCha
This sounds like Southwest's boarding system, where everyone gets a number, and there's an opportunity to "buy up" to a lower number if it's available.
I bet this will be possible for non-Elites in the future too on KL.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
I see this topic has made it to "The Gate" - Comments must, of course, be given in strict, numerical order!

-- Henry
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Well, to be fair, as it is currently described, as a SkyPriority pax, it tends to make me want to avoid connecting in AMS (which I used to love). I wish they would just copy DL's boarding system, which works well, IMHO. I even recently had a few flights on IB: they use boarding by zone, well enforced, and even though for some reason my elite status wasn't reflected properly on the boarding pass*, I was able to use the priority lane showing my card to the gate agent -who otherwise actually tells the passengers trying to cheat to wait for their turn.
*BTW, same has happened to me on KLM in the past. How do they deal with that in the new system?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Oxymore
*BTW, same has happened to me on KLM in the past. How do they deal with that in the new system?
You will be able to board as soon as you self-scan your boarding pass to generate your boarding sequence number. The system knows that a SkyPriority pax is in the house (!!) and will part the waters so you can board without getting your feet wet.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I agree that SP pax should be able to board at their leisure without having to wait or queue for a ticket dispenser.
They should make a priority lane for SP passengers to get to the ticket dispenser first :P and also an option for normal passengers to pay to enter this line also :P!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: Many
Yesterday the boarding process was a real mess on my European flight (no smart boarding). Every BP was scanned at the entrance of one of the D gates, only one scanner was operating. Then everyone standed for several time inside the waiting area. Then they called for boarding :
- Skypriority pax first
- then general boarding

As no control was made at the entrace of the jetbridge, everyone rushed in the ususal zoo...

So any initiative (SkyPririty, Smart Boarding) is welcome as long as it is enforced...
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Originally Posted by florin
Another note: if you have a carry on then you have to pick a window seat at the back; an aisle seat towards the front guarantees zero overhead bin space.
Great!

I'm all for a boarding system that rewards those who travel light, and punishes those who take everything and the kitchen sink as carry-on. Dump 'em in the back of the bus near the toilets.

If your carry-on doesn't fit under the seat you shouldn't be allowed to board until after you've walked all the way to the Polderbaan. Doubly so if you're in front, because with the empty middle seats you already have 50% more floor space than the cattle behind the curtain.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: KL Platinum
How will families travelling with small children accomodated? I used to appreciate priority boarding when offered; to a small extent it helps to mitigate an already stressful experience. However on our last intra-European trip we were entitled to priority boarding on the basis of Elite Plus status, and not the pram that we had in tow.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly Baby
With regards to the overhead bin space, I've taken a couple of flights to LHR from AMS over the last couple of weeks (BA) and on both flights the overhead bins above CE were shut during general boarding.
That was certainly not the case on the flight I took a few days ago. The bins were crammed full, one pax even rammed in a bag between two others, leaving half of it sticking out so the bin could not be shut. He (rightly) assumed the FAs would sort the problem out later.

The cabin crew did treat us to more announcements than I could count on how our hand luggage should and should not be stowed.

Johan
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:19 am

Smart Boarding was in place on my flight from AMS to HEL this week. I felt like it worked really well and forestalled the usual crush of pax at the front of the line.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
That was certainly not the case on the flight I took a few days ago. The bins were crammed full, one pax even rammed in a bag between two others, leaving half of it sticking out so the bin could not be shut. He (rightly) assumed the FAs would sort the problem out later.

The cabin crew did treat us to more announcements than I could count on how our hand luggage should and should not be stowed.

Johan
Has it got worse since they started charging for checked bags?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.