Search

New seats on F70, new EC, less EBC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
New seats on F70, new EC, less EBC

Originally Posted by KLM Press Release

After having introduced Economy Comfort on its Boeing 737 fleet, KLM will also roll out Economy Comfort on the KLM Cityhopper fleet in winter 2013/14. The Fokker 70 aircraft will be equipped with new ACRO light weight slim seats in a changed seat configuration. Since the beginning of August two Fokker 70 aircraft are flying with these new seats.

KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats

The new seats create even more leg space in European Business Class and Economy Class. As a result of the slim design of the seatback, leg space in the European Business Class will increase up to eight centimeters and in the Economy Class up to four centimeters.

In the reconfigured Fokker 70’s with new slim seats the European Business Class will be reduced to six rows. For the introduction Economy Comfort on the Embraer 190 fleet only a reconfiguration of current seats is necessary. The introduction of Economy Comfort will decrease the number of European Business Class seats.

Modified Fokker 70 aircraft will be easy to recognize when you enter the aircraft, showing 80 new seats with exclusive design.

The seats will have the following new characteristics:
  • Recline of the seatback is possible by operating a recline handle under the seat.
  • The light weight seats and the new light weight seatbelts save up to 140kg per aircraft.
  • The seat cover design is made of E-leather (eco leather). This fabric is made of leather off-cuts and produced environmentally friendly.
  • Co-designed in cooperation with Fokker Services and its partner ACRO and Dutch designer Hella Jongerius.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:16 am

Some photo's of the new seats.

Looks nice IMO
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I really love the F70 seats. I wish they were not doing this.

Actually, I had thought that the seating on the F70s would remain as it is, as it appears that they are gradually running down the F70 fleet, as related by johan rebel in this thread. So I guess the F70s are intended to stick around for a few more years at least.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph

Originally Posted by KLM Press Release

KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats KLM equips Fokker 70 aircraft with new passenger seats
Hmmm...I wonder how much this press officer is paid?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:53 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Thanks again for the photos!

I presume the size of the EBC cabin can still be determined by the loads (i.e. moveable curtain)?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Hmmm...I wonder how much this press officer is paid?
certainly by the word count, not the quality of a press release
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by KLM553

The lumbar support looks like any adult outside the standard (dutch tall) hright range will suffer...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
They look eerily similar to the Recaro seats in the NEK that LH have installed. And what's with the recline handle under the seat? I wonder how many life vests will be pulled out inadvertently while trying to recline.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe the vests have been enhanced away?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really love the F70 seats. I wish they were not doing this.
I could not agree more. The old F70 seats have thick seat cushions and backrests, which make them quite comfortable. For each new generation economy seats are getting lighter and thinner. That may perhaps increase legroom somewhat (depending on how many extra rows are squeezed in), but that's at the expense of comfort. Something has got to give.

Originally Posted by ajs123
The lumbar support looks like any adult outside the standard (dutch tall) hright range will suffer...
I'm of average (Dutch) height and weight, and I detest fixed lumbar supports. It is one reason I will avoid KL 777s in economy at all costs. In J class the lumbar support can at least be deflated, which is the first thing I do when I take my seat.

Johan
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:55 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Photos have also been posted on KLM's Facebook page.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I could not agree more. The old F70 seats have thick seat cushions and backrests, which make them quite comfortable. For each new generation economy seats are getting lighter and thinner. That may perhaps increase legroom somewhat (depending on how many extra rows are squeezed in), but that's at the expense of comfort. Something has got to give.

I'm of average (Dutch) height and weight, and I detest fixed lumbar supports. It is one reason I will avoid KL 777s in economy at all costs. In J class the lumbar support can at least be deflated, which is the first thing I do when I take my seat.

Johan
I'd like to try them first before I shoot. The new 737 seats looked pretty basic compared to the old ones, and I recall a big bash on FT before anyone had tried them. Then, as they got introduced that thread went silent... For me they turned out much more comfortable than the old ones. Big difference the extra inch legspace due to the thinness and mathematics of the new seat, and no longer a fixed headrest on my shoulderblades forcing me to lean forward. Also, I think the choice of materials of the 737 seat is clever. They don't feel unbearably hard to me.

I agree with your opinion on the 777 Y seat. It's very uncomfortable and hard for a long ride. You can even feel metal bars or whatever those hard things are through the seat cushion!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Would anyone know which specific aircraft have been refitted yet?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zembla
I'd like to try them first before I shoot. The new 737 seats looked pretty basic compared to the old ones, and I recall a big bash on FT before anyone had tried them. Then, as they got introduced that thread went silent... For me they turned out much more comfortable than the old ones.
The 737 seats were never anything to get excited about in my opinion. I didn't contribute to that thread - i don't know which thread that was - but it's hardly surprising that the "thread went silent" - all threads do, eventually! The loss of a 737 seat, or even an F70 seat, is hardly something to keep banging on about, anyway. You vent your spleen, then you just move on. (OK, so I know we tend to keep banging on about stuff like the seat selection problems, the change in redemption levels, and the laughable promo awards - but these are more multi-faceted changes that continually provoke and provide new reminders of just how awful they are. Once a seat is changed, that's pretty much it)

However, the F70 seats were in a completely different league. As johan rebel says, they are quite comfortable. They may very well be the only "old style" padded seats still on European shorthaul - I can't think of any others, anyway. And they reallly are comfortable in a way you sort of think "wow" when you first sit down. I don't get that experience from any other type of KLM seat!!!

If it were up to me, on a choice between "4 cm of legroom" (or even 8) and the old comfy seats, I'd just stick with the old.

I also wish that the new seats wouldn't recline. I think reclining seats on shorthaul is a *stoopid* idea, and I dislike the people who insist on using the recline, particularly when they are immediately in front of me! I flew home on Aer Lingus last week - the guy in the seat in front spent the first 10 minutes of the flight banging frantically on his seat, trying to get it to recline. I think he was silently starting to fume, suspecting me of somehow having tampered with his seat so that it wouldn't recline. Eventually, he encroached into my space - and as I was reading a broadsheet newspaper there was nowhere for me to go but on top of his seat.

I could go into a rant on a certain type of Aer Lingus flyer, but I won't!!!!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
The 737 seats were never anything to get excited about in my opinion. I didn't contribute to that thread - i don't know which thread that was - but it's hardly surprising that the "thread went silent" - all threads do, eventually! The loss of a 737 seat, or even an F70 seat, is hardly something to keep banging on about, anyway. You vent your spleen, then you just move on. (OK, so I know we tend to keep banging on about stuff like the seat selection problems, the change in redemption levels, and the laughable promo awards - but these are more multi-faceted changes that continually provoke and provide new reminders of just how awful they are. Once a seat is changed, that's pretty much it)
I don't agree here. We've been banging on enthousiasticly about the WBC slippery slope seat ever since its introduction. Whilst we got quite silent about the 737 seat. That must mean something imho.

However, the F70 seats were in a completely different league. As johan rebel says, they are quite comfortable. They may very well be the only "old style" padded seats still on European shorthaul - I can't think of any others, anyway. And they reallly are comfortable in a way you sort of think "wow" when you first sit down. I don't get that experience from any other type of KLM seat!!!
With this I agree, and it is too bad they are going to disapear. But we are in a world where it is a logical and almost compulsory for airlines to change to leightweight seats. And in that world there are also good and bad seats. Let's wait and see...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.