"Upgraded" to the middle seat of a Fokker 70

Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Miles & More, Skywards
Thumbs down "Upgraded" to the middle seat of a Fokker 70

This morning, on a KLC flight, I was "upgraded" (at the gate, on an award ticket) to C... only to find out it was the middle seat of a full F70 ;-)

Besides the fact that I actually see loosing my nice aisle seat fot a middle seat, even in row 2, as a downgrade, I think the guys around me (who actually paid C) were not very happy to have me sitting on "their" middle seat.

The captain actually came in the cabin and announced that AF messed up things but that to sort this out would take 1 hour, so he apologized.

After my neighbors ate their box, the FA came back and offered me one... which I politely declined as I just had a snack before boarding.

When I booked the award ticket, it was a 737 (strange for a BOD-AMS)... which could explain the fully booked F70 and thus the non existent "space for your confort" for C PAX.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by volerbleu

When I booked the award ticket, it was a 737 (strange for a BOD-AMS)... which could explain the fully booked F70 and thus the non existent "space for your confort" for C PAX.
I am on BOD-AMS next week and it was an F70 when I booked and is now shoing as a 737-800.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Ok just logged in to double check and it is now back down to a F70... so has gone from F70 - 738 - F70 all within 3 weeks since I booked it..

Seats have been changed twice too and no longer allow selection.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
That is quite interesting, as the Fokker fleet is supposed to have a seat blocked. It must have been the preferred option rather than to IDB passengers.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:09 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Preferred to whom? The paying business class members now have a good case for a refund..
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Miles & More, Skywards
Originally Posted by Gajan
It must have been the preferred option rather than to IDB passengers.
...which IMHO was the right thing to do if the C-PAX get a refund on their ticket.

I would hate to be the PAX who gets denied because the middle seat has to stay empty on a short hop.

But again, the PAX who paid the C-Ticket should get a refund of at least the difference between Y and C.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Many
I am also on the AMS-BOD in around 10 days and have a seat assignement for a Fokker. I will keep you posted.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 2:38 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
...which IMHO was the right thing to do if the C-PAX get a refund on their ticket.

I would hate to be the PAX who gets denied because the middle seat has to stay empty on a short hop.

But again, the PAX who paid the C-Ticket should get a refund of at least the difference between Y and C.
IMHO, that would have to be some compensation offered (though the price difference between a discounted business class and full fare Y can be quite low I would propose a fixed amount or something)
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Platinum.
This morning, on a KLC flight, I was "upgraded" (at the gate, on an award ticket) to C... only to find out it was the middle seat of a full F70 ;-)
Are you on Facebook?

Perhaps you had been selected by your two seat companians.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:41 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Gajan
IMHO, that would have to be some compensation offered (though the price difference between a discounted business class and full fare Y can be quite low I would propose a fixed amount or something)
Why full Y? Perhaps at time of booking discount economy was available. If that person had chosen to fly economy, it would probably not have been in full Y.

If you would consider this a involuntary downgrade I believe the 261/2004 rule says one should get a refund of 75% of the fare paid.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Xandrios
If you would consider this a involuntary downgrade I believe the 261/2004 rule says one should get a refund of 75% of the fare paid.
KLM policy for involuntary downgrade:

4 DOWNGRADING
Indien passagiers onvrijwillig in een lagere klasse worden
geplaatst dan de klasse waarvoor het ticket is gekocht,
kunnen zij een vergoeding aanvragen van:
a) 30% van de prijs van het ticket voor alle vluchten van
1500 km of minder, of
b) 50% van de prijs van het ticket voor alle vluchten
binnen de EU van meer dan 1500 km, en alle andere
vluchten tussen 1500 en 3500 km, of
c) 75% van de prijs van het ticket voor alle vluchten die
niet onder (a) of (b) vallen.
Note: this extract is from an old copy of the Compensation policy. It seems that, in the current version, they omitted the downgrading paragraph. Strange, but I think this is still valid per EU regulation.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by bodory
I am also on the AMS-BOD in around 10 days and have a seat assignement for a Fokker. I will keep you posted.
So I flew AMS-BOD the other day, on an Embraer. My seat assignment did not change but several pax had their BPs changed manually (understand : with a pen) at the gate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.