Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Apparently you can only use the filters at Departures 2 and 3. Departures 1 is only for Schengen flights, and I've heard reports that boarding passes don't scan if the flight they're for does not depart from that section of the airport.

I personally would not take the risk of going outside given these queues. Or go outside but have a large buffer.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:31 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
People are currently reporting about an hour wait time...but unless I am mistaken at this time of day not many long haul flights are departing anyway. How was it this morning?

This mess is absolutely unacceptable imho. They have been panning this for years, they use the exact same equipment at the shengen security already...there is no reason whatsoever why personnel would need 'time getting used to' (which is what Schiphol is blaming this mess on).

They could have made sure everybody is familiar with these types of equipment by letting them train at the shengen stations beforehand. The rest is simply planning for passenger flows, which is easy because Schiphol knows exactly how many people are expected at which time of day. They can also calculate how many passengers are able to go through each station per minute (again, look at the shengen ones). That data can then be used to determine how many stations need to be open.

And all that can be determined and planned beforehand. It sounds like they just tried to wing it somehow?

@ajs123: I suggested the same but it is not sure if the Shengen checkpoint will let you through. Though I would not suggest trying it out right now, unless you don't mind to be denied after standing in line for an hour
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Just about a week ago:

http://www.metronieuws.nl/binnenland...oeft-niet-meer

De ene ‘stressloze’ controle op Schiphol duurt voor gewone reizigers maximaal 10 minuten en slechts 5 voor businessclassreizigers, belooft veiligheidsdirecteur Ron Louwerse. „We hopen dat mensen de nieuwe controle zó leuk vinden, dat ze na afloop vragen of ze nog een keer mogen”, grijnst hij.
Yup, that worked. I'm sure those who stood in line for hours yesterday and today were so thrilled they wanted to have another go.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
Departures 1 is only for Schengen flights, and I've heard reports that boarding passes don't scan if the flight they're for does not depart from that section of the airport.
That's where a Privium card might come in handy, although I guess it would technically be against the rules.

Johan
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Thank you for the comments! Is the central security at Departure Hall 2&3 preceded with a passport control? Or are passports controlled at the gate? I experienced both last year... On my return from London on Saturday I have a scheduled business meeting during my 4hour layover in Amsterdam, so I will be forced to test this out...
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Passport Control takes place immediately after security. For flights to the US there will be another inspection at another centralised location (the so-called PDC) afterwards. Passports are likely to be inspected again at the gate.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grouchy
and twitter is a nice source how bad it is;[/URL]
Hilarious!

Angry pax:

"@Schiphol Did you see the line for security? It took me 55 minutes from start to finish. People in tears at the prospect of missed flights."

Schiphol's response:

"so there's some room for improvement still. Thanks for reaching out."

Just beautiful!

There are many more in a similar vein.

Johan
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mfkne
Passport Control takes place immediately after security. For flights to the US there will be another inspection at another centralised location (the so-called PDC) afterwards. Passports are likely to be inspected again at the gate.
PDC is, luckily, only for flights with a US carrier.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
So what will happen when US preclearance happens? The centralised security will have to be rejigged.

These pictures look like a US airport with the long lines, but as some screamed on here before of how they hated being corralled in after security at each individual gate then this is the answer.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:36 am
Original Poster

There would be no impact to security, but they'd have to almost reserve a whole pier (E?) and set up a preclearance facility at the start of that pier.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:19 am

Smile International flight from AMS to SEATAC

I am coming off a cruise ship 6:00 am Aug 22 with private taxi from the Marine Terminal (closer to the airport than the Port of Amsterdam).
My flight with KLM/Delta is direct to the US and leaves at 10:00 am. Assuming that I can get to the sirport at 7:00 am...does this give me enough time to clear security????Has anyone been through the new security system they have installed?
Any advise on how to expedite the process would be much appreciated!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:26 am
Original Poster

You should be fine arriving 3 hours before. You should be able to clear security either in Departures 3 or 2.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Looks like an accident in slowmotion.

[edit]

This is at passport control, trying to reach landside. Did Schiphol decide to have queues in every section of the airport? Do they have a massive shortage on staff?

Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Aaaand they've made national news: http://nos.nl/artikel/2040055-drukte...-schiphol.html - too bad the editor in chief of NOS Nieuws was stuck in the queue.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to worry, "we werken aan een oplossing", according to Schiphol.

So relax, they are working on it!

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.