Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Maybe incase non-sterile pax arrive by busgate?
From where, though?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Turkey for example? Malfunction of a jet bridge requiring a remote stand and disembarkation via stairs and bus?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:31 pm

Well, let's hope you're right!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Maybe incase non-sterile pax arrive by busgate?
Indeed. Bussed arrivals that may need security clearance (and yes, even if there are no bussed arrivals from "unclean" destinations at present, they have to have the facility to check such passengers, should irrops or temporary checks be required from some/all destinations for whatever reason) have to be checked somewhere.

Any "clean" airport can have that designation temporarily rescinded should it fail an audit, as happened to Dublin Airport a few years ago. And extra checks can be imposed on any and all arrivals at any time, as happened during the Nuclear Summit in The Hague last year.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 4, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just a quick question, if I'm flying from D24, what is the best departures security to clear? Is it departure 1 behind KLM check in desks?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
... from what I think I saw this afternoon we (UK residents) could be in for a bit of a shock.

Like tigertanaka I was returning to the UK from ARN today (small world!), and I was so thrilled to just be able to walk to D6 for my flight to NWi (even took a picture of my Swedish water bottle - sad or what?)

But when the our bus went round the corner of the building I caught a glimpse of something that set off alarm bells... I'm not sure (because you can't really see inside too well from a moving bus), but I thought I could see what looked like a security checkpoint behind the door where arriving bus passengers get dropped off.

If that is the case.... what on earth are they doing??? Is it "tit for tat" because the UK insists on making everybody re-clear security?

I hope I was only imagining things... I guess we'll know soon enough.
"Tit for tat" makes no business sense.

If anything one would wish to emphasize how nice it is not to be obliged to reclear.

The UK security standards are approved by the EU. Why spend money on re-clearing them unless necessary?

The majority of ex-UK Fokker Farm pax would not need to reclear security if they were connecting instead at LHR.

Last edited by Calchas; Jun 5, 2015 at 7:47 am
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silonic
Just a quick question, if I'm flying from D24, what is the best departures security to clear? Is it departure 1 behind KLM check in desks?
Departures 1 is for Schengen. Departures 2 is closest to D24, but Departures 3 is also an option if Departures 2 is busy.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: FB Gold
Some sort of display would be useful at one or two places showing the comparative waiting times at 2 and 3 though it would really only work for those who know their way around the airport, it could get too confusing for others.

For say a BA pax dropping a bag at 3 and boarding at the D pier they are equally convenient.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Just flew through AMS from ARN. Went out of the E concourse. Very (pleasantly) surprised that I didn't go through security after the passport check. Just straight to the gate, through the gate and onto the plane. It was nice passing the idle US govt nudie boxes.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like everyone on FT was in ARN in the last 2 days
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
... from what I think I saw this afternoon we (UK residents) could be in for a bit of a shock.

Like tigertanaka I was returning to the UK from ARN today (small world!), and I was so thrilled to just be able to walk to D6 for my flight to NWi (even took a picture of my Swedish water bottle - sad or what?)

But when the our bus went round the corner of the building I caught a glimpse of something that set off alarm bells... I'm not sure (because you can't really see inside too well from a moving bus), but I thought I could see what looked like a security checkpoint behind the door where arriving bus passengers get dropped off.

If that is the case.... what on earth are they doing??? Is it "tit for tat" because the UK insists on making everybody re-clear security?

I hope I was only imagining things... I guess we'll know soon enough.
It may be part of an ARN transit arrangement that few know about and use. ARN is one of my home airports, and I have access via an embassy to airport flow maps, but I've only known about some such facility being used from time to time rather than ever having used it myself.

If it's what I think it may be, then it's not a tit-for-tat retaliation; just a consequence of non-Schengen-originating passengers of some sort needing a specific sort of transfer to fly onward from ARN to non-Schengen destinations, and thus ending up with a default re-screening for "non-trusted" reasons.

The following provides a window into what you may have glimpsed?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24120353-post57.html

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 5, 2015 at 3:06 am
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:52 am
Original Poster

There are numerous reports on Twitter this morning of queues of 30 minutes and more at the new checkpoints. Apparently only two security lanes are staffed.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mfkne
There are numerous reports on Twitter this morning of queues of 30 minutes and more at the new checkpoints. Apparently only two security lanes are staffed.
No surprise. This is the kind of thing that can be expected from a change toward centralizing points of failure/frustration.

Don't be surprised if we end up with a LHR-style T5 cut-off for even being allowed to proceed to enter the security screening lines.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It may be part of an ARN transit arrangement that few know about and use.
You've misinterpreted Aviatrix's post.

She was talking about Schiphol; specifically the "bus gates" in the D corridor.

The reference to ARN was merely to note that she was travelling from ARN, via AMS, to NWI.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
No surprise. This is the kind of thing that can be expected from a change toward centralizing points of failure/frustration.
And yet they were trumpeting in the press last week that no-one would have to wait more than 10 minutes; and that the experience would be so quick and enjoyable that they fully expected passengers to ask if they could go through security a second time.

See upthread!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.