Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GlobalEntry
I doubt that, I never had it in a couple of flights. It has been in place at some airports (FRA, MUC, ZRH I remember), but was abolished some time ago (like 2 years?)
It pops up at random for US carriers.

Last edited by Calchas; May 25, 2015 at 6:13 am
Old May 25, 2015, 1:48 pm

Does anybody know if the hold the flight for you as soon as you get the receipt? Performing a tight connecting, it would be nice to feel 'safe' about catching it at the beginning of the pier instead of the actual gate
Old May 25, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
My hunch is they won't. I don't know how the setup works, i.e. whether they actually register that you passed through the PDC or not, but in the past (when it was done at the gate), all you got was a sticker on your passport.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:28 pm

Another Reason to Fly KLM if Possible

Living in California, I rarely fly Delta to Amsterdam as KLM goes non-stop from LAX and SFO while Delta does not. So, one way to avoid this whole thing is to fly KLM from Amsterdam when possible rather than Delta.

Not to mention the food in economy on KLM is much better than Delta.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NLNO
The questioning is probably mandated by US law.

The security check at the gate will certainly be abolished by 3 June, that is the whole point of the central security.
If it is mandated, it must only be for US Carriers. At Schiphol, only DL does this. KLM most certainly does not. I flew United to IAH about a year ago and I don't remember it then either, although I could be mistaken.

In the past year or so I have also flown FRA-SEA, ZRH-SFO, and CPH-SFO (on LH, LX, and SK, respectively). At FRA/ZRH there is an extra document check (i.e. to ensure that passengers had visas for the US), but no stupid questions. CPH didn't do anything extra at all.

Which brings me back to the main point - why is it ONLY Delta and ONLY at Schiphol that this security theater takes place? Seems easy enough to avoid just by flying on someone else...
Old May 25, 2015, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rwSEA
If it is mandated, it must only be for US Carriers. At Schiphol, only DL does this. KLM most certainly does not. I flew United to IAH about a year ago and I don't remember it then either, although I could be mistaken.

In the past year or so I have also flown FRA-SEA, ZRH-SFO, and CPH-SFO (on LH, LX, and SK, respectively). At FRA/ZRH there is an extra document check (i.e. to ensure that passengers had visas for the US), but no stupid questions. CPH didn't do anything extra at all.

Which brings me back to the main point - why is it ONLY Delta and ONLY at Schiphol that this security theater takes place? Seems easy enough to avoid just by flying on someone else...
It's US carriers from a variety of Schengen airports, and also transit passengers on US carriers flying out of LHR, that get this. It's part of the requirements US carriers have to get USG/DHS/TSA approval. It also shows up beyond Europe when flying US carriers.

It still exists, and wasn't abolished two years ago.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
No dedicated lane. Full report will follow.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Looking forward to it.

During my daily walk around Schiphol Departures (I take the train home from there every day) I started wondering how people were going to get up to the new security checks if they are departing AMS.

In Departures 3 the only option I saw was via the stairs or the lift by the Color Cafe and then via the narrow bridge over. In Departures 2 there's the stairs up to the Medical Center and I suppose another entrance will be via the escalator leading up to the visitor's terrace (and a lift that seems to be under construction still).

Is that right?
Old May 27, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
No dedicated lane. Full report will follow.
What a (non) surprise.

Why is it so hard to do this right?
Old May 27, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A week to go, and according to luchtvaartnieuws.nl Schiphol promises that security will take a maximum of ten minutes for regular pax, and five for what they call "business class".

Not impressive, even assuming that they get it right.

Johan
Old May 27, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

So no SLA for Privium I wonder what the contractual penalties are for Schiphol if a Business Class passenger takes 6 minutes to pass through.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
A week to go, and according to luchtvaartnieuws.nl Schiphol promises that security will take a maximum of ten minutes for regular pax, and five for what they call "business class".

Not impressive, even assuming that they get it right.

Johan
To say the least
Old May 28, 2015, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Boy, they're really setting themselves up for failure.

From today's Metro:

http://metronieuws.nl/binnenland/2015/05/twee-uur-voor-boarden-op-schiphol-hoeft-niet-meer

We hopen dat mensen de nieuwe controle zó leuk vinden, dat ze na afloop vragen of ze nog een keer mogen”, grijnst hij.
"We hope people will like the new security check so much they will ask to have another go when they're done". Yup.

"Vooral aangenaam is dat iedereen de controle op zijn of haar eigen tempo kan doen. Louwerse: „Drie mensen kunnen tegelijk hun bagage op een band leggen. Degene die als eerste klaar is kan door de bodyscanner. We merkten bij de proef van afgelopen jaar dat zowel reizigers als beveiligers hier aan moesten wennen. Uit beleefdheid gingen mensen wachten op de persoon die voor hen in de rij stond. Maar dat hoeft dus niet.”
"Everyone can pass the security check at their own pace. The person who's first done unpacking their stuff can go through the scanner first. This took some time to get used to because out of courtesy people were waiting for passengers who arrived first to finish."

In the Netherlands? Well, I had my bins literally thrown back at me by staff when I dared put them on the conveyor before the person who arrived in front of me had finished.

With all this pomp, I kind of hope we'll get to see the Dutch version of the T5 opening in LHR. I'm just happy I have no non-Schengen travel planned for now.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Of course I challenged them that Priority/Privium PAX are annoyed that they don't have a dedicated lane any more. However, they were convinced that the new setup is faster for everyone, including Privium PAX. According to them, only the perception of waiting is different as you don't enter an empty line any more.

As for the entrance to the mezzanine security filters, there will be escalators on each side. At departures, there are around 10 scanners at each filter (all body scanner).

After security, there is much emphasis on self-service passport control for EU-passport holders. I found that the number of KMar booths was pretty low; that could be a bottleneck.

I also asked how the new setup at Departures 1 worked whereby you theoretically can pass slower people ahead of you. They said the mindset of the passengers had to change (what a bright idea, in an international environment with also inexperienced travellers) and that security staff sees to this. They also claim security at Schiphol is more service-oriented (the adage now is Schiphol Security Service), with friendly, efficient and respectful staff. I think almost every traveller has experienced the opposite.

I had an interesting lecture from a former Fokker employee last week, who offered one piece of advise I think Schiphol should take note of: "Don't believe your own bull$hit!".
Old May 28, 2015, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mfkne
In the Netherlands? Well, I had my bins literally thrown back at me by staff when I dared put them on the conveyor before the person who arrived in front of me had finished.
This! On more than one occasion at Schiphol I have been barked at to wait when I had the audacity to overtake a hopelessly slow passenger fumbling with their possessions at the tray dispenser. I usually have everything that needs to be out/off/on display out and ready for an immediate go-through. And it is so annoying when you get stuck behind somebody who doesn't seem to have expected anything like security, when they have everything tucked away and seem to find every direction a complete surprise (Take off my jacket? Take off my belt?? Take out my liquids???).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.