Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
We have been talking for years about the inconsistencies in the baggage allowances shown by KLM. It can vary when you look up your reservation online compared to what was on the e-ticket.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Prices are increased again to €25 per flight. The discount for FB members is not 50% anymore as '€12.50 looks clumsy' so they conveniently rounded it off for us to €15 per flight. That means you can now add €30 to the price of your ticket if you want a bag. Have the bare ticket prices been reduced with anything close to that amount? Don't think so. Minimum fares are still €99. A few years ago that included bags...
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Prices are increased again to €25 per flight.
Oh, that's just great!

Guess we can look forward to even more fun and games with carry-on luggage.

Took an SK shorthaul flight yesterday. We left 20 minutes late solely because of the complete chaos that resulted when the pax brought on board more bags than could be stored in the overhead bins.

As I had boarded early and only had a gearslinger, I could just sit back and watch in amazement as pax tried to ram, shove and push their hardshell rollaboards into the overhead bins or even under the seats. When, after a lot of running up and down the aisle, and more pushing and shoving, the FAs finally thought they had everything stowed, they realized that the pax in the two exit rows still had a bunch of bags under the seats in front of them. More fun and games ensued. Very entertaining to watch, but not very good for punctuality.

Johan
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Prices are increased again to €25 per flight. The discount for FB members is not 50% anymore as '€12.50 looks clumsy' so they conveniently rounded it off for us to €15 per flight.
I'm not seeing this on an existing booking (old prices locked in?) or a dummy new booking ex-UK on CityHopper
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: Free agent
Now it's kicked in, and the FB miles required have also doubled. Should have got in yesterday

EDIT: Although the cloud seems to have a silver lining for anyone Silver or above:

From http://www.klm.com/travel/GB_EN/prep...tor/index.htm#
"Check-in baggage is not included in the fare for flights within Europe.
However, at least 1 piece of check-in baggage is free of charge for:
Travellers with fully flexible ticket types (Y, M or B fare)
Members of Flying Blue (except Ivory members) and corporate programmes
Passengers on European flights that are part of an intercontinental journey"
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by klymen
EDIT: Although the cloud seems to have a silver lining for anyone Silver or above:
It doesn't, really.

Flying Blue Silvers were already entitled to one free bag before this change: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...lver-joke.html

This new "cloud" is solely for Ivory members and non-members.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, HHonors Gold, Nordic Choice Club Silver
Now according to the KLM website my flight SVO-AMS in EBC (as Gold) even entitles me to 3 pieces of checkin luggage...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.