Search

WestJet codeshare - lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, TK Miles&Smiles Elite
WestJet codeshare - lounges?

Hello all,

I have an upcoming trip NUE-AMS-YYZ-YWG and back in October and will be taking the WestJet codeshare YYZ-YWG. Are there any lounges in Toronto and Winnipeg that I will be entitled to use? I am E+, booked in Biz if it makes any difference.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There is a KLM Crown Lounge in Toronto, as listed on the KLM site.

Nothing listed for Winnipeg so you may be out of luck. You could check with the WestJet check in agent if they have a lounge there and if you can gain access on the basis of your KLM ticket and status.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, TK Miles&Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by irishguy28
There is a KLM Crown Lounge in Toronto, as listed on the KLM site.
I am not familiar with the layout of YYZ - can I access this lounge while waiting for a WestJet domestic flight?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:27 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by haggis79
I am not familiar with the layout of YYZ - can I access this lounge while waiting for a WestJet domestic flight?
Not as far as I know, as before entering the international terminal they do a boarding pass check (not sure if you tell them you want to access the KLM Lounge you will be let through - as there is a sign that states "once entered you cannot go back" or something to that liking).

Gajan
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by haggis79
I don't think you can. I tried and failed recently. The KLM lounge is in the international bit, and they won't let you through with a domestic boarding pass.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:41 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Bringing up this rather than starting new one, my question is: flying with Delta ticket/code operated by Westjet from Toronto to New York as KL Gold in coach...can I access lounge or not? And as it is DL code I imagine I will earn points to my FB account?

Thanks!

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Apr 5, 2013 at 7:57 pm
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Bringing up this rather than starting new one, my question is: flying with Delta ticket/code operated by Westjet from Toronto to New York as KL Gold in coach...can I access lounge or not?
If flying from YYZ to the USA, you clear USA immigration after check-in and before going through security (and are then treated as a domestic flight upon arrival in the US). Consequently the departures area at YYZ for flights to the US is separate from the rest of the international departures area - and the US section doesn't have a SkyTeam lounge in it...

And as it is DL code I imagine I will earn points to my FB account?
I don't think so. You can only earn FB miles on DL-coded flights if they are DL (or other SkyTeam) operated:
Originally Posted by Flying Blue - Delta Airlines
Flying Blue members can earn Miles on all flights marketed as DL, AF, KL or SkyTeam and operated by Delta Air Lines.
WS isn't in SkyTeam, so I don't think you'll earn miles on a DL-coded flight operated by WS (although you would on the same flight, if your ticket was KL-coded).

That said, I didn't realise that DL code-shared on WS for YYZ-JFK. I thought DL's flights on that route were all operated by Pinnacle/Delta Connection, which do earn FB miles (or at least did, last time I flew with them.)
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
I just got refused access to the DL lounge at LGA for LGA-YYZ DL7141 on Westjet metal. I have Flying Blue Platinum. The lounge dragon explained to me that I don't have lounge access because the flight is not Delta operated. That's a first for me! After a minute of discussion I didn't really feel like arguing with her and left.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:22 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Is Canada for lounge access purposes not considered domestic, even if you would have flown DL that you would not have gained access, or is that only for Delta members?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLM Lounge Access Policy
Please note that you will need to be travelling on a KLM-operated or on an international SkyTeam-operated flight on that same day or on a domestic SkyTeam-operated flight that connects to or from a SkyTeam-operated international flight on the same day.
Your flight has to be a KLM-operated or SkyTeam-operated flight.

Hence, any WestJet operated flight will not grant you lounge access.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Your flight has to be a KLM-operated or SkyTeam-operated flight.

Hence, any WestJet operated flight will not grant you lounge access.
Obviously, However it's a first for me. Perhaps they were more willing to bend the rules in the past.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Bringing up this rather than starting new one, my question is: flying with Delta ticket/code operated by Westjet from Toronto to New York as KL Gold in coach...can I access lounge or not? And as it is DL code I imagine I will earn points to my FB account?

Thanks!
Other than AF/KL coded flights, the code share flight must operated by a Skyteam airline to generate FB miles.

Regarding flight to New York, you will go through US customs and immigration in Toronto, so unless I am mistaken, you will be in a separate area of the airport, not where the KL lounge is.

Last edited by carnarvon; Apr 1, 2016 at 2:00 am
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Regarding flight to New York, you will go through US customs and immigration in Toronto, so unless I am mistaken, you will be in a separate area of the airport, not where the KL lounge is.
That's correct. And you must pick up your luggage. No checking through of luggage is possible. There is a special luggage check in area for your connecting flight on the left just after you've cleared customs.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: FB Plat
Bumping this thread to share my recent experience, traveling as a FB Platinum CDG-LAX on AF then LAX-YVR on an AF-marketed WS-operated flight.

- Lounge access: I could access the Delta SkyClub at LAX (funny thing is that I asked DL via twitter beforehands who told me I was not eligible to lounge access as my flight was operated by Westjet, but decided to try my luck at the airport and... it worked!),
- Checked luggage: I was traveling on a Light fare. Booking told me I had no checked luggage on the outbound leg (although STE+). Same at the airport self-service kiosks where I was asked 50€ if I would like to check a bag. As I was travelling HBO, I don't know if that was only a bug (and an agent could have waived the fee) or if it was due to the WS-operated flight,
- Skypriority: could access at LAX the Skypriority lane at security with my AF BP printed in CDG, but not at boarding on the WS flight (they had reprinted a BP for me and I was zone 3),
- OLCI : I have been automatically checked in by AF on the WS flight. Could not choose my seat in advance though, but was assigned in a window seat at front (seat 5F). Don't know if it is just luck or a kind of status recognition,
- On board: classic WS service (free drink/cookies + BoB available).
Goldorak likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops...never mind, my bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.