Wiki Posts
Search

Economy or Economy Comfort on 6-hour Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Economy or Economy Comfort on 6-hour Flight

Is Economy Comfort on KLM worth the extra $100? Just how much better are the seats, generally speaking?

Anyone have experience with both types of economy seats?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
The seats are the same, the only difference is that you have more leg space and that the seat reclines a bit more.

From the KLM website:

Economy Comfort seats offer:

- Up to 89 cm (35 inch) legroom
- Up to double the recline
- Location in the front of the Economy Class cabin, so upon arrival you’ll be among the first to be on your way.
- The service in the Economy Comfort zone is the same as in Economy Class.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Hmmmm. So does anyone have experience with each of the seats who could discuss their pros & cons? Haha.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by RussianTexan
Hmmmm. So does anyone have experience with each of the seats who could discuss their pros & cons? Haha.
For me the difference legspace is considerable. But I am tall. The extra recline doesn't excite me. I get it for free because of Plat. If its wrath it for you or not may also depend on your budget.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by Zembla
For me the difference legspace is considerable. But I am tall. The extra recline doesn't excite me. I get it for free because of Plat. If its wrath it for you or not may also depend on your budget.
I do not sleep any better with the extra recline. The benefit for me is that I now can easier use my portable when traveling outbound from Ams (which are often on day flights) and get some work done. For me it is free too, I probably would not pay for it if I had too.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
A big factor is how tall you are and how well you normally fit in regular Y seats. I fit pretty well and don't need to pay for extra space. To me, it's not worth it.

You're talking a difference of $16.67/hour. Is it worth it to you?

Another perspective: you can have a bit of extra space for 6 hours or you can treat yourself to something nice worth $100 (a nice dinner, a massage, whatever).
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:14 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I am 6ft4 and think it is worth every penny just for the extra space
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Surely part of the answer lies in the comparison with the specific seats that you are likely to get otherwise. If EC are the only aisle seats you can get on the flight, they would be worth $200 IMO compared to being stuck in a middle seat. OTOH, if it's middle EC especially compared to regular aisle or window, I'd probably pay something to not be in that EC middle seat.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:17 am

I will always buy EC on DL or KL for any flight of significant length. I am not a tall person.

One issue to keep in mind is the effect in too many seats of under-seat space taken up by AVOD boxes. EC is the only remedy that makes the problem even tolerable. Those boxes actually extend under one full seat and about 1/3 of an adjoining seat. If you are traveling with a companion, avoiding those boxes for one or the other of you is impossible.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm getting it for free too so again not the best person to ask. The interesting thing from the posts above is that different people have different perceptions of when EC has most value or not. Personally, when I book for friends or family, the way I'd do for myself, I tend to value it more for the night flight than the day flight (I do personally find it less hard to sleep with the extra recline) and more value if good seats are available in EC (e.g. bulkhead) but not in the normal section and less if the seats in EC are not particularly good (e.g. middle section) while there are good ones in normal Y.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:06 am

All of my flights on KLM are long haul, usually between AMS and Asia.

I appreciate the extra legroom and recline in EC (I'm 1m83cm), but I also appreciate that on a 744 EC is a separate section of the cabin. This means less people walking around and less noise. The latter also because I feel there are usually no families with small children sitting in EC.

On business travel my company will pay for EC, on private travel EC is worth the extra money to me (I'm a gold, so get a discount).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.