Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam airport showers in the departures area. Anyone ever use them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2004, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Cleanliness? Cost?
Old Dec 10, 2004, 11:48 am

Clean. Expensive.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 12:01 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Unless you can find a friendly FD Platinum willing to pass on a shower certifacate! Be sure to post your travel dates here; you never know your luck!
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:14 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
Free if you're KL Platinum. Amenities are from a nearby hotel.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Used the Mercure showers today... was worth EUR12.50 after a long intercontinental. They're pretty clean (clean enough, but not fantastically impressive) and you get a decent bar of soap and shower gel/shampoo and shampoo/conditioner. Plus a shower cap (does anyone actually use these). In and out in just a few minutes.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Where exactly are they located? Do you need to clear immigration/customs first?

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Makes me laugh, you have a giant airport like AMS that caters with millions of passengers transitting and there is no where to wash unless you are someone like Indianna Jones at hunting things out.

You take a tiny airport like Macau in China or Kaoshiung in Taiwan and there are showers free of use and very clean.

I wonder if we could compile a useful list of places around the world with good shower facilities to use FOC.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you arrive on a non-Schengen flight, you need not clear customs or immigrations. Arriving on a Schengen flight, you will need to go through immigrations to get to the non-Schengen area. If you are a departing passenger you will obviously need to check in and clear security and immigrations.

The Mercure Terminal West hotel is located on one floor up from the departure hall west. Take the stairs or elevator near the HI-HA-HO-HI-HA-HO neon display just west of the beginning of the F pier/concourse.

The free showers are on the same floor, between the BA and KLM Crown Lounge.

johan
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
I wonder if we could compile a useful list of places around the world with good shower facilities to use FOC.
Now that's an idea... are you volunteering Steve? Seriously, this would be a good reference, but I'm not the one to do it as AMS is the only airport I've ever showered in.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
You take a tiny airport like Macau in China or Kaoshiung in Taiwan and there are showers free of use and very clean.
Kaohsiung? Clean?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Yes clean- very clean.

OK here goes

Taipei - I found one set in transit area as I was pushed for time to connect and could not be arsed to walk to the lounge.

It is by the kids play area.

Better to ask staff who are usually helpful for directions.

It had those ever lasting rolls of large tissue paper to dry yourself on if you were short of a towel, I just did a 1km sprint around the terminal naked as the ambient temperature dried me pretty quickly.

They were clean and size was more than enough.

Macau.

Upstairs by the lounges - follow signs for toilets.

There was lady in there cleaning and she saw me looking at them and asked me if I needed a towel, I didnt as only there to take a leak and was just being curious. What I mean is I was going to take a leak in the toilets not the shower but had a look at the shower to see what it was like - dooooh - you know what I mean.

Hong Kong.

I have always uded the lounge ones but some years ago I was delayed and found one in the middle section near to where KLM and LH fly form. I am sure there are others who can clarify this for me.

I will add more when I can think of them.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:15 am
Original Poster

So if I'm flying from the US, I need to clear customs and then come back into the departure area to use the showers?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidK
So if I'm flying from the US, I need to clear customs and then come back into the departure area to use the showers?
No. There is no segregation of arrivals and departures at AMS. The showers are in the international (non-Schengen) departure/arrival/transit zone.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
It's been a few years, but the AMS showers as I recall were up a flight of stairs from the transit area.

Cheap and clean, but not as luxurious as the showers in a premium class lounge.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:23 am

If you're coming from Pier F then as soon as you get to the main terminal bldg go upstairs, just follow the signs (or ask!) for the Mercure Hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.