Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how to deal with refused delay claim (EU 261/2004)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum for Life Flying Blue; LH FTL
Unhappy how to deal with refused delay claim (EU 261/2004)

On june 02, 2010 my return flight KL872 (DEL-AMS) was delayed with more than 5 hours.
At regular check-in time I was contacted by KLM staff in Amsterdam, notifying me that the inbound flight from AMS to DEL was seriously delayed.

For once I decided to claim compensation according to European law (EU 261/2004). Main reason for claiming was that the delay caused me to sit and wait until 5.30 AM in the morning, without any further care from KLM.

Only after contacting customer service myself, I received a simple and short statement, telling me that KLM does not accept to honor any delay claims under the EU regulations.
They simply write that they have different interpretation of the regulation and therefor do not honor delay claims.

Interesting to see, how a big company can decide to put itself above the law, when dealing with an individual.

Apart from going to court (which I read is a successful way of getting compensation from KLM) or using claim companies, I would be very much interested if anybody has been successful in other ways to receive compensation from KLM for flight delay.

thanks for your input!

Last edited by wjv144; Aug 20, 2010 at 8:56 am
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by wjv144
Only after contacting customer service myself, I received a simple and short statement, telling me that KLM does not accept to honor any delay claims under the EU regulations.

Send a letter. This is simply unacceptable. Unless there's more you are not saying, I cannot even conceive a similar answer!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:55 am
Original Poster

I have made my claim by official letter.

Used one of the example letters, that various consumer associations publish on their sites.
just to make sure to use the correct wording...

and FYI, no hidden or omitted info that can be added.
The KLM response is in Dutch, but if interesting I am happy to post it.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:20 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
I would send the claim to EUclaim. They have more weight than a single person.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:40 am

This is a delay, not a cancellation.

In cases of delay customers have a right to care but not to compensation.

"Care" means meals, telephone calls, and a hotel (at the airline's expense) if the passenger is delayed overnight.

EUclaim won't help with claims relating to airlines' failure to provide care in case of delays (I thought they did, but they don't). They only help with claims for compensation where a flight has been cancelled.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:43 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
The OP should complain to the Dutch national enforcement body, but it doesn't seem to be very keen on forcing KL to obey the regulation.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:13 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
This is a delay, not a cancellation.

In cases of delay customers have a right to care but not to compensation.

"Care" means meals, telephone calls, and a hotel (at the airline's expense) if the passenger is delayed overnight.

EUclaim won't help with claims relating to airlines' failure to provide care in case of delays (I thought they did, but they don't). They only help with claims for compensation where a flight has been cancelled.
I was under the impression that for a long delay compensation is in order under the EU rules?

Due to a lack of time to actually read the thing; quoting Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004#Delays

Cash compensation is a payment of:
€250, for a flight of less than 1500 km
€400, for flight within the EU of greater than 1500 km in distance, or any other flight of greater than 1500 km but less than 3500 km in distance
€600, for a flight not within EU of greater than 3500 km in distance where flight types are as defined in notes. Where rerouting is offered and results in the passenger arriving within two/three/four hours of the scheduled arrival time for a type 1/2/3 flight, the compensation payable is halved.
This payment is strictly a compensation for the customer's inconvenience and does not replace or form a part of either of the following two compensation categories.

Although the wording of the regulation indicates that this payment is not relevant in the case of delays, the judgment of the European Court of Justice in joined cases C‑402/07 and C‑432/07, from 2007, suggests that the regulation must be interpreted as meaning that passengers whose flights are delayed may be treated, for the purposes of the application of the right to compensation, as passengers whose flights are cancelled and they may thus rely on the right to compensation laid down in Article 7 of the regulation where they suffer, on account of a flight delay, a loss of time equal to or in excess of three hours, that is, where they reach their final destination three hours or more after the arrival time originally scheduled by the air carrier.
The Airline is not obliged to provide Cash compensation in the case of "Extraordinary Circumstances" (Defined earlier in the document), according to Article 5, Paragraph 3.
So basically a compensation should be in order for a delay over 3hrs..
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
the judgment of the European Court of Justice in joined cases C‑402/07 and C‑432/07, from 2007, suggests that the regulation must be interpreted as meaning that passengers whose flights are delayed may be treated, for the purposes of the application of the right to compensation, as passengers whose flights are cancelled and they may thus rely on the right to compensation .
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
That's what they told me too. Then, after the ECJ handed down its judgment, I received an e-mail from EUclaim asking me to submit a claim anyway, as they were now willing to pursue it. As I no longer had the paperwork, I could not be bothered.

Johan
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:14 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by johan rebel
That's what they told me too. Then, after the ECJ handed down its judgment, I received an e-mail from EUclaim asking me to submit a claim anyway, as they were now willing to pursue it. As I no longer had the paperwork, I could not be bothered.

Johan
It seems like the said company is making a healthy profit off of our misery. The director of EU claim has been on TV many times and it seems like his company is growing steadily.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by jetfan
It seems like the said company is making a healthy profit off of our misery. The director of EU claim has been on TV many times and it seems like his company is growing steadily.
EUCLAIM.NL was just about to go out of business last year when the ECJ gave it a lifeline with its opinion on the Sturgeon vs Condor and Boeck vs AF cases.
I have always wondered what made those compensation recovery companies so popular. All they do is send an aggressively worded letter to the airline in exchange of a 27% cut of any potential payment. Nothing more than any individual could of himself. Templates of similar letters are freely available all over the net.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by wjv144
and FYI, no hidden or omitted info that can be added.
The KLM response is in Dutch, but if interesting I am happy to post it.
Were you given an explanation for the delay of the late incoming flight? That would be the decisive factor. As mentioned in another post, according the the NOV09 opinion of the ECJ, the defence of extraordinary circumstances is still available in cases of delays. If the AMS/DEL flight was delayed for reasons beyond KLM's control, your chances of obtaining compensation would be reduced to 0...
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:05 am
Original Poster

no reason was given what so ever.

it occurred in summer season, so no severe weather situations on route between AMS-DEL.

also checked the flight data on flightstats.com. only changes in gates and dep/arr. times are noted in the logs.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:47 am

I think it's an excellent service at reasonable cost. Nobody forces anyone not to file themselves.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
I think it's an excellent service at reasonable cost. Nobody forces anyone not to file themselves.
Agreed, and their online claims procedure is simple and fast.

Originally Posted by l'agentsecret
I have always wondered what made those compensation recovery companies so popular.
Simple. EUclaim has access to a wealth of data concerning flight delays and the causes thereof. The airlines know they can't get away with blaming "the weather" or whatever, whereas any regular Joe submitting a claim is likely to be fobbed off with just such an excuse. I speak from experience, EUclaim has succeeded in three instances where I or my colleagues failed. In all instances KLM simply lied to us. I acually ought to have pursued the fourth case as well, if only to see what excuse KLM would have dreamed up. As it happens, I know exactly what the reason for that delay was, as the purser explained it all to me in confidence.

It seems like the said company is making a healthy profit off of our misery.
There would be no need for said company if the airlines dealt honestly with pax' claims, instead of trying every excuse in the book, incuding disingenuous ones, to avoid paying compensation.

Johan
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:23 am

The compensation in case of a delay does NOT appear to be a clear cut legal issue, regardless of the ECJ court case.

In Germany, Ryanair won a case in the district court by arguing that a technical issue comes under "exceptional circumstances".
http://www.businessandfinance.ie/new...sp?itemID=1605

In the UK, the high court has suspended ALL compensation for delays (regardless of the reason), with the issue referred back to ECJ:
http://www.abtn.co.uk/news/1814586-a...lays-suspended

In this case you could claim for any "reasonable care" you were forced to buy yourself - e.g. food & accom, as long as you have valid reciepts.

I guess you would not be able to claim the compensation unless you want to take the issue all the way to the ECJ.

Last edited by 8420PR; Aug 25, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.