Up or down on 747

Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ♪♪♪ 7 ™
Up or down on 747

Would you choose up or down stairs on KLM 747? Is the service or toilets any different? Most seats seem to be available at the moment and I have selected 1A and 77A. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Andy49
Would you choose up or down stairs on KLM 747? Is the service or toilets any different? Most seats seem to be available at the moment and I have selected 1A and 77A. Thanks in advance for any advice.
It is usually quieter and more private upstairs. I tend to always choose the upper deck on any carrier. I've never had a problem with service or toilets.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetimer / Air NZ Airpoints
Go for 77A. Upstairs is usally quieter. Kids are normally seated downstairs...if that's an issue for you.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Services and toilets should be the same.

Upstairs is interesting (if you've never been upstairs in a plane before, and like that kind of thing), and when on the ground, the view out of the window is from much higher up than normal.

However, due to the arrangement of seats, I think downstairs feels more spacious.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by AMac
Go for 77A. Upstairs is usally quieter. Kids are normally seated downstairs...if that's an issue for you.
or 77K
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
77 A is an exit row and the FA's are sitting across from you during take of or landing, also A is cold sometimes being next to the door.
I prefer 77 J.

Check seatguru.com
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ♪♪♪ 7 ™
Originally Posted by CaseyN2
77 A is an exit row and the FA's are sitting across from you during take of or landing, also A is cold sometimes being next to the door.
I prefer 77 J.

Check seatguru.com
Is that an exit row without a footrest? Thanks for the replys.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Andy49
Is that an exit row without a footrest? Thanks for the replys.
There's more info in the seating thread.

77J and K are emergency exit seats. As the footrest extends from the seat it is no different than non-emergency exit seats. There is no difference between 77AB and 77JK in that regard.

77J has no storage, the seat in front is 1 1/2 m away. 77AB have the FA jump seat in front. 77A and 77K have the storage bins between the seat and the window.

77K is my favorite, despite the shoe net being beyond reach.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: Skyteam elite, One world Emerald
If toilets are a concern, go for the upper deck. The toilets downstairs will usually have a few economy pax in line that simply pull the curtain aside that separates Y from C. Sometimes the FA enforces the rules, sometimes not. I prefer the UD, although usually not the exit row because of the draft as mentioned above.
Another handy benefit of the UD are the side bins on the window seats. Big enough to store a bag, the blanket, laptop, etc.
Service is the same, so more depending on the crew.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
I really like 1A as the legroom is unlimited, no one reclining into you and you have three windows to look out.

Advantage of upperdeck is that there are two FA's to serve you compared to the one downstairs normally and it may be quieter. For a night flight this may be the better choice.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
1A was definitely a good seat, but if all 4 seats on row 1 are full it actually feels crowded.

Upstairs is a lot more spacious and row 77 is surely best bet, but on our last flight we had around 9 people getting a look of the cock-pit. So a lot of traffic to and from the cock-pit

Anybody a fan of 4EF ? I was looking at it and didn't find it a weird seat at all.

I'm always a fan of no people in front of your, or at least recline into you.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
Anybody a fan of 4EF.
Yeah, right here.

Excellent seats, especially on night flights.

• both have aisle access, and no wihdow seat pax crossing in front of you.

• You can place your carry-ons right behind your seat for easy access (although some cabin crew will not allow this).

• Nobody in front of you, nobody behind you.

• The magazine rack in front can be used to temporarily place trays etc, making it easy to get in and out of your seat durnig meal times.

• There is enough room to place a roll-aboard bag in front of the seat, thus forming an extension to the legrest.

Now all they have to do is install flat-bed seats.

The distribution of pax between the two C cabins can at times be very uneven, with the UD being (almost) full and the nose almost empty, or vice versa. At AMS it pays to stop at one of the many e-transfer machines en route to the gate, and if necessary change your seat to one in the emptiest cabin. The only risk it that it will fill up with the junior FA's sister's neighbor's boyfriend's cat's vet's mother and other inelligible Y pax as soon as the doors close.

Johan
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
Upper deck tends to have better service as two FA's take care of 24 PAX while downstairs a single FA has to deal with 18, albeit with some occasional help from the purser.

77A is my favorite on day flights, 4EF on night flights or when traveling with a partner.

1AK can have spectacular views when landing with cross winds.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COFF-Platinum
Upper deck tends to have better service as two FA's take care of 24 PAX while downstairs a single FA has to deal with 18, albeit with some occasional help from the purser.
Asuming it is not one of the many invisible ones.

Johan
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
At AMS it pays to stop at one of the many e-transfer machines en route to the gate, and if necessary change your seat to one in the emptiest cabin.
Johan,

I've tried this "trick" for a few flights but never managed to pull the seat map from those machines (having already checked in online). Do you know by heart which option to choose in order to actually get an overview of the free seats and chance my initial choice?

Would be helpful as somehow I never could get in done.

Thanks,

Remco

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.