CityJet check-in at AMS

Old Jul 18, 11, 7:21 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
CityJet check-in at AMS

Just booked my first flight with CityJet AMS-LCY.

Is there a separate check-in and security area, or does one use the AF counter? The CityJet website says check-in minimum is 30 minutes. Is this really ample time?

Lastly, and most importantly, when I go to list this flight on my FlightMemory, is it appropriate to list CityJet as its own carrier, or should it be clumped with AF?
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:52 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Check-in will be at the KLM counters (rows 9-14?). As Skyteam Elite Plus you can use the premium check-in and security.

I would say that 30 mins is really cutting it short. In the holiday period I would try and be at the airport at least 1.5-2 hours before departure to allow enough time.

Gajan
Old Jul 18, 11, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by DLNYC View Post
Is there a separate check-in and security area, or does one use the AF counter?
There are no Air France (or CityJet) check in counters at Schiphol - only KLM.

The CityJet website says check-in minimum is 30 minutes. Is this really ample time?
That's easily doable at LCY, but not to be recommended at Schiphol.

Lastly, and most importantly, when I go to list this flight on my FlightMemory, is it appropriate to list CityJet as its own carrier, or should it be clumped with AF?
That depends on nothing other than your own personal preference!
Old Jul 18, 11, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Gajan View Post
Check-in will be at the KLM counters (rows 9-14?). As Skyteam Elite Plus you can use the premium check-in and security.
Premium check-in: Yes. Premium security - no. Security is at the gate and there is only one line.

I would say that 30 mins is really cutting it short. In the holiday period I would try and be at the airport at least 1.5-2 hours before departure to allow enough time.
I agree that 30 isn't enough, but I don't think one needs to allow much more than an hour for this particular route, at least not with premium check-in. The only possible hold-up is at passport control; once you're through it's a five-minute walk to the gate (usually D20-something), and as long as you get there before everybody else has gone through security they are unlikely to leave without you.
Old Jul 18, 11, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
Premium check-in: Yes. Premium security - no. Security is at the gate and there is only one line.
As Elite Plus member you can use the priority passport line as well as the priority line at the gate for security (where you can cut in). I believe Cityjet flights do not use the D6 bus gate but a proper gate so it should be possible.

I agree that 30 isn't enough, but I don't think one needs to allow much more than an hour for this particular route, at least not with premium check-in. The only possible hold-up is at passport control; once you're through it's a five-minute walk to the gate (usually D20-something), and as long as you get there before everybody else has gone through security they are unlikely to leave without you.
My quote of 1.5-2 hours before departure may be a bit long, bit it does give you some padding if you get delayed. The cut off time for baggage drop is 30 minutes for European flights so as pointed out by Aviatrix it is advised to be there earlier.
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:14 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Thanks for all the responses. Will plan to get there a little over an hour before. Looking forward to seeing what CityJet is all about and hearing the roar of the Avro.
Old Jul 19, 11, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Gajan View Post
As Elite Plus member you can use the priority passport line as well as the priority line at the gate for security (where you can cut in). I believe Cityjet flights do not use the D6 bus gate but a proper gate so it should be possible.
They're using one of the tiny gates at the end of D Pier. There is one narrow entrance, and no way that anyone would be able to cut in because there simply isn't room to get past the queue.

(My last AMS-LCY flight was less than a week ago so I am talking from recent personal experience - and it's never been any different)

Thanks for all the responses. Will plan to get there a little over an hour before. Looking forward to seeing what CityJet is all about and hearing the roar of the Avro.
The Avro is fun (and I just love the descent into LCY).

A word of warning though - Cityjet's Avros are configured 3-3 (other airlines - like Swiss - have a far more comfortable 3-2 configuration). Seating is quite cramped. The best seats - if you can get them - are at the back where they have two (or is it three?) rows that are configured 3-2 (A and C are the "two"). They open the back door at LCY so you won't be queuing behind 15 rows of passengers to disembark.

Last edited by Gajan; Jul 19, 11 at 2:34 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 19, 11, 2:34 am

They're using one of the tiny gates at the end of D Pier. There is one narrow entrance, and no way that anyone would be able to cut in because there simply isn't room to get past the queue.

(My last AMS-LCY flight was less than a week ago so I am talking from recent personal experience - and it's never been any different)
I stand corrected
Old Jul 19, 11, 3:12 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold; Accor Gold.
...and most importantly, when I go to list this flight on my FlightMemory, is it appropriate to list CityJet as its own carrier, or should it be clumped with AF?
I do! (That is, I list them as "CityJet" flights, not "Air France" ... but I also list "KLM Cityhopper" as a separate operator; these make my statistics look better.)

-- H
Old Jul 19, 11, 5:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
The Avro is fun (and I just love the descent into LCY).
Probably smoother (=a bit less fun) than the old Fokker 50s, though, I guess!

As for the descent into LCY, I've been known to describe it as "the authentic plane crash experience without actually crashing". Don't take that too seriously, though - it's pretty spectacular (the banked turn over central London if you come in that way is particularly good) , straight over Canary Wharf and what feels like straight down... add a spot of turbulence (if there is any), sit back and enjoy

Coming in the other side (more common) has less of a view but can be equally fun

Neil
Old Jul 19, 11, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
A word of warning though - Cityjet's Avros are configured 3-3 (other airlines - like Swiss - have a far more comfortable 3-2 configuration). Seating is quite cramped. The best seats - if you can get them - are at the back where they have two (or is it three?) rows that are configured 3-2 (A and C are the "two"). They open the back door at LCY so you won't be queuing behind 15 rows of passengers to disembark.
Cramped is an understatement! Another word of warning is that unless you've a C ticket they'll most likely take your handluggage away from you if you have a wheelie at the door of the aircraft.
Old Jul 19, 11, 8:13 am

...The Avro is fun (and I just love the descent into LCY)...
I also rather enjoy the Avro's take-off at LCY, especially if there's a high load factor: the revving up of the engines and the sudden jolt of acceleration when the brakes are unlocked can be quite a shock for those not expecting it!

All because the runway is short!

-- Henry
Old Aug 25, 11, 3:12 am

They open the back door at LCY so you won't be queuing behind 15 rows of passengers to disembark.
Do they always use the back door at LCY? I hate having to queue to get off a plane but would happily elect to sit at the back if I knew I could get off at the back.
Old Aug 25, 11, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by dg252 View Post
Do they always use the back door at LCY? I hate having to queue to get off a plane but would happily elect to sit at the back if I knew I could get off at the back.
Well, I've flown to/from LCY on CityJet many times and, in every case I can remember, both fore and aft doors were used for both disembarking and boarding.

-- Henry