Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: KL Plat
Another wildly different miles value AF vs KLM:

AMS-CDG (KLM) 179 EUR or 22 300 miles. 11/16 available - 0.8c / mile

CDG-GOT (AF) 309 EUR or 14 800 miles, 3/8 available - 2.1c / mile.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by BobTL
AMS-BLL aboard B738 aircraft: € 49. Didn't take it, could see the aircraft was relatively lightly loaded for a change.

I ended up having a complete row of Economy Comfort for myself, plus the flight attendant came to ask me if I'd like a business class meal, which I gladly accepted. I am FB Platinum, maybe it has something to do with that.

So I got an upgrade more or less anyway
Haha, why ask in the first place?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
KL427 AMS-DXB economy comfort to business class 300 euro. I took the offer. 6 seats were on offer when I purchased the upgrade
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by rienhart87
KL427 AMS-DXB economy comfort to business class 300 euro. I took the offer. 6 seats were on offer when I purchased the upgrade
Got a similar offer for EUR 399 on tomorrows flight. As it's daytime, I'm not inclined to take it for that price. However 300 euro is a lot better. Seatmap also showed 6 seats free.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:39 am

KL428 DXB-AMS online checkin from economy to business EUR399
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
How much is the fare difference between Y and Y+ ?

Because according to the posts above the offer is EUR100 less for the comfort fare.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
How much is the fare difference between Y and Y+ ?

Because according to the posts above the offer is EUR100 less for the comfort fare.
I just answered my own question, sorry

The fee for Y+ is... drum roll... EUR100 each way.

So it's pretty much tit for tat... but... if you are a FB member even explorer, you would get a discount on the comfort fare. So it seems an option worth "exploring" in case you get better rates on upgrades.

And either way, with J fares around EUR2000 it seems like a really good bargain.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I just answered my own question, sorry

The fee for Y+ is... drum roll... EUR100 each way.

So it's pretty much tit for tat... but... if you are a FB member even explorer, you would get a discount on the comfort fare. So it seems an option worth "exploring" in case you get better rates on upgrades.

And either way, with J fares around EUR2000 it seems like a really good bargain.
Good spot, Maestro. As Y+ is free for Plat members, that discount is a decent reward for loyalty.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: KL Platinum
€49 from AMS to CWL. The same offer on the return leg.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Victor88
€49 from AMS to CWL. The same offer on the return leg.
This is the kind of offer where you have to ask yourself what that amount means to you.

If it's a week's grocery shopping for the family, forget it. If it's the kind of amount you drop on a cab fare to the airport, when you could almost as easily catch the train, go for it.

glennhaak likes this.

Last edited by The_Bouncer; Jun 19, 2019 at 1:05 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMS-CPH US$ 88.50 (for reasons beyond my comprehension I somehow ended up on the US site when checking in).

At least 4 out of 12 available (can't quite remember).

Two pax were upgraded by the purser. One of them boarded the plane and said "Are you the purser? I want to make an upgrade" After firm handshakes all around, his son was ushered into a J seat, and once the doors had closed another pax was asked to change seats so dad could move up and sit next to his son.

Johan
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: KL Platinum
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
This is the kind of offer where you have to ask yourself what that amount means to you.

If it's a week's grocery shopping for the family, forget it. If it's the kind of amount you drop on a cab fare to the airport, when you could almost as easily catch the train, go for it.

Quite right. Fortunately it’s not something I needed to dwell on as I was upgraded when boarding for AMS.

In all seriousness the proposition is not an attractive one if one has access to Economy Comfort anyway.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Victor88

Quite right. Fortunately it’s not something I needed to dwell on as I was upgraded when boarding for AMS.

In all seriousness the proposition is not an attractive one if one has access to Economy Comfort anyway.
It's the kind of offer I don't bother taking. IMO, the benefits of intra-European J are (in order of value):

Lounge access (I already have Priority Pass)
Extra luggage allowance (I travel light)
Empty middle seat (who cares for an hour?)
​​​​​Extra miles (nerfed by the revenue based earnings)
​​​​​
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
GLA - AMS: £52 or 14,700 miles. This time, I took the miles option, to get a proper start to my long trip to Thailand (GLA-AMS/AMS-LHR/LHR-BKK - the BA flights are booked in J).

As with The_Bouncer's comment on the CWL-AMS price, £52 is either a lot, if you consider what you actually get (free middle seat, decent light meal and a few good drinks) or it's a very good deal when you compare difference in fares between discounted Y (ca. £180 r/t) and typical C (ca. £750 - £850).

-- Henry
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
For my trip to Birmingham BHX these last days, I was offered EUR59 on the outbound and GBP59 for the inbound yesterday (BHX-AMS). Declined both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.