Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Elegance645
KLM are very strict with their staff policy on business class seating and boarding.
Yep, but that policy can be conveniently forgotten once the doors have closed.

Johan
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Yep, but that policy can be conveniently forgotten once the doors have closed.

Johan
It can but my understanding is that with the new transparency, the seniority of those eligible ensures that any unsold seats right up to departure, can only be used by long serving staff members in a strict order. No staff member will be given priority over any paying passenger wishing to purchase an upgrade. Should Management be aware of abuse then there are procedures in place to take action.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
My wife today: GRU-CDG from J to P: 2189 € @ OLCI (non merci...)
At the airport, upon inquiry she got a miles offer too: 257.000 mls (and she took it)
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
My wife today: GRU-CDG from J to P: 2189 € @ OLCI (non merci...)
At the airport, upon inquiry she got a miles offer too: 257.000 mls (and she took it)
holy .... that is a lot of miles!
Hope she enjoyed
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yesterday, when I did OLCI for GVA-AMS there was an offer to upgrade to business for CHF112, which presumably is the equivalent of EUR99. Declined.

Today, while transferring the machine offered to upgrade me for EUR79 on the AMS-LHR flight. I declined again, and got an op up at the gate. The names of about 4 passengers were called to come forward. I wonder if I would still have got if I hadn't yet made it to the gate.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: FB platinum
Not exactly an upgrade at OLCI, but interesting anyway I think!
I was flying DXB - AMS, and did not see any offer to upgrade from Y to J at OLCI. I did not go to the counter at the airport, so I cannot comment on what would have been offered there.
But once onboard, the guy behind me asked the FA how much it would cost to upgrade to J. I could see on the FA's tablet that he was Gold, and got both a cash and a miles offer. I did not see (or understood what they were saying as I don't know Dutch ) the miles one, but the cash offer was 649€.
He took it (I wouldn't have on a 7 hour flight at this price, but hey!). That made his neighbour in the middle seat very happy
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by lynxy
Not exactly an upgrade at OLCI, but interesting anyway I think!
I was flying DXB - AMS, and did not see any offer to upgrade from Y to J at OLCI. I did not go to the counter at the airport, so I cannot comment on what would have been offered there.
But once onboard, the guy behind me asked the FA how much it would cost to upgrade to J. I could see on the FA's tablet that he was Gold, and got both a cash and a miles offer. I did not see (or understood what they were saying as I don't know Dutch ) the miles one, but the cash offer was 649€.
He took it (I wouldn't have on a 7 hour flight at this price, but hey!). That made his neighbour in the middle seat very happy
That indeed seems overpriced. In most case I flew from Asia back to NL, the upgrad on OLCI was say 499 Euro or less.....but then this is about individual choice...
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue, Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer, British Airways Executive Club
For an upcoming flight from KUL to CWL via AMS, rung Flying Blue and got a quote for 74,000 miles to upgrade from economy comfort to business class but this is for the KUL to AMS segment only.

Paid GBP 802 for the return ticket plus GBP 99.20 for the economy comfort seats on both outbound (AMS to KUL) and inbound (KUL to AMS). If I take the upgrade offer, will I be able to claim back the fee for the economy comfort seat on the inbound flight?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by chinhk
For an upcoming flight from KUL to CWL via AMS, rung Flying Blue and got a quote for 74,000 miles to upgrade from economy comfort to business class but this is for the KUL to AMS segment only.

Paid GBP 802 for the return ticket plus GBP 99.20 for the economy comfort seats on both outbound (AMS to KUL) and inbound (KUL to AMS). If I take the upgrade offer, will I be able to claim back the fee for the economy comfort seat on the inbound flight?
No. The upgrade fare is already calculated with the E+ price.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by BobTL

No. The upgrade fare is already calculated with the E+ price.
But here the upgrade is with miles, it's an OLCI upgrade, so my guess would be yes.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue

NWI AMS upgrade €129

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
GYE-AMS 13/2 was €499
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
GVA-AMS on KL, €93 again to upgrade from row 3 to row 1 or 2, no thank you
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
If they somehow offered XPs on these upgrades, it would sometimes be worth considering is you needed the XPs and were close to qualification. But without miles and XPs, I can't value the upgrades at much more than 10-20 Euros (unless you need the lounge access that goes with it - in which case, it shoots up to about 40-50 Euros. But not more).

Just to point out, S7 Airlines (S7) offers OLCI upgrades but these carry no lounge access or extra miles. Meaning I have not taken an upgrade every single time one has been offered, even at the baggage drop, although you could argue that EUR100 for a three and a half hour flight could be worth it.
SkyteamEP and Boturham like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
If they somehow offered XPs on these upgrades, it would sometimes be worth considering is you needed the XPs and were close to qualification. But without miles and XPs, I can't value the upgrades at much more than 10-20 Euros (unless you need the lounge access that goes with it - in which case, it shoots up to about 40-50 Euros. But not more).
You do get extra miles at the usual rate per € but no extra XP unless some IT glitch.
For those without status it also includes SkyPriority, arguably this can also be translated into some cash value of the time you save.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.