Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Question: I paid for 3 economy comfort seats for a NRT - AMS flight. Each one has been almost 100 euros. If I am offered a buy-op (last time I flew this route I was offered one) will they refund me the money of the economy comfort seats?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sodaisei
Question: I paid for 3 economy comfort seats for a NRT - AMS flight. Each one has been almost 100 euros. If I am offered a buy-op (last time I flew this route I was offered one) will they refund me the money of the economy comfort seats?
If you buy an upgrade during online check-in you will not be refunded the difference. If you buy an upgrade at the airport they will deduct whatever you paid for the eco comfort seats from the upgrade price (at least they did that for me twice).

Back to topic: AMS-GRU tomorrow: 499 EUR.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Newbie to KLM.
I cannot find a specific thread to post this question on so I am posting it here.
Can KLM award reservations be held for some days before purchasing them - like they can be with AA (up to 5 days)?
A related topic. Are Chase Ultimate Reward points posted instantly on KLM or does it take some time?
TIA
I often get that service for free at the Platinum Service Line but max 24 hrs. Online there is an option to keep the price for 24 hrs for a small fee.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
If you buy an upgrade during online check-in you will not be refunded the difference. If you buy an upgrade at the airport they will deduct whatever you paid for the eco comfort seats from the upgrade price (at least they did that for me twice).

OLCI offers will also take into account what you paid for EC seat and deduct it from the offer you are shown.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:14 am

thats a great price.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by BobTL

I often get that service for free at the Platinum Service Line but max 24 hrs. Online there is an option to keep the price for 24 hrs for a small fee.
Thank you.
What is the fee for canceling an award and redepositing 2 award tickets?
TIA
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Boturham
How would they know you are an elite without your FB number?

Also (in my experience), it's all about the fare of your ticket. When I fly on my own dime, as cheap as possible, I never get an OLCI offer. When I fly for work, full-flex ticket, I have never not received an offer.
Would disagree here. The vast majority of my economy tickets were booked via a company travel agent in the last 3-5 years, and they were as cheap as possible (say AMS-Asia in the 500-800 Euro range). But then I had at least 3 times an OLCI at 399-499 Euro (I took them all) an even once a free upgrade (on China Eastern, not AF/KL). Yes, I am STE+ but even then.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by sodaisei
As mentioned, the upgrade pricing is lowered by the amount already paid for seat assignment.

I see it all the time - I go in, see the upgrade price. Get my (paid) EC seat and suddenly upgrade is cheaper by exactly the EC amount.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
How would they know you are an elite without your FB number?

Also (in my experience), it's all about the fare of your ticket. When I fly on my own dime, as cheap as possible, I never get an OLCI offer. When I fly for work, full-flex ticket, I have never not received an offer.
That's the point: elites get fewer offers.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by caliform
I can see the reasoning behind that, but has it ever been confirmed?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue
ams - hkg kl887

€699

took it as I am on a €392 euro ticket from BRU

upperdeck!
skycruiserNL and caliform like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
That's what I was asking — if people did this to reliably get more offers. Just a hypothetical, for now.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)

Thank you! Good to know.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
As an elite, I invariably get an offer at OLCI as long as there's still at least one J seat available. That's on KL, and on shorthaul flights. Longhaul there's nothing they can upgrade me to.

The only reason why I haven't seen an offer for a while is that I've been flying on cruise ship turnaround days. KL does a roaring trade selling (undoubtedly heavily discounted) tickets to cruise pax, so on such days J is packed to the rafters with Americans who tick all the boxes when it comes to stereotypes.

Johan
wuzziduzziman likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum
EZE-AMS

EUR 999 or 142 700 Miles. How about no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.