Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto
AMS-LED 120€
...which is not that bad, depending also on the cost of the original fare and considering that, most times, you'd normally be offered an upgrade at [~]the same cost[+] on short flights such as BHX-AMS or even LHR-AMS. Moreover, they are a business at the end of the day and I'm not sure what you would expect them to do, especially on those services of 3+ hours - perhaps sell you an upgrade for 20 quid on a 129GBP fare?

G
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
That's a set price for that route, however you sometimes get the message at check-in offering 59 GBP for the upgrade.

G
I still wouldn't take it at Ł59. Not when an empty row in economy comfort is on offer for less than a fiver.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:20 pm

I was offered 80€ for AMS-TLV on an award ticket in the past..

...which is not that bad, depending also on the cost of the original fare and considering that, most times, you'd normally be offered an upgrade at [~]the same cost[+] on short flights such as BHX-AMS or even LHR-AMS. Moreover, they are a business at the end of the day and I'm not sure what you would expect them to do, especially on those services of 3+ hours - perhaps sell you an upgrade for 20 quid on a 129GBP fare?

G
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I still wouldn't take it at Ł59. Not when an empty row in economy comfort is on offer for less than a fiver.
If I had to pay for my travel and/or my status would not allow me to choose either an EC or an exit row seat and particularly on that route (not even 45 minutes' flight), I would not even spend a fiver: instead, once back home, I'd get a couple of pints at my local - that's a much better investment, methinks.

G
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
If I had to pay for my travel and/or my status would not allow me to choose either an EC or an exit row seat and particularly on that route (not even 45 minutes' flight), I would not even spend a fiver: instead, once back home, I'd get a couple of pints at my local - that's a much better investment, methinks.

G
Usually I would agree, but this was the tail end of a 20-hour ICN-CDG-AMS-BHX run.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPH-AMS €149.--

17 seats available.

Johan
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:28 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
On a recent trip to Rome (to/from AMS) got an offer of EUR 129 each way.

Ended being upgraded on the outbound flight (mainly due to 80 students of a school in The Hague going on the annual Rome trip) together with 5 other people. Me and +1 the only PE members that were upgraded / on the flight, one gold and two others (not sure of status).
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:35 am

AMS-FRA: €149. No thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Gajan
Me and +1 the only PE members that were upgraded / on the flight, one gold and two others (not sure of status).
so did 2 or 5 get upgraded?

PE = Platinum (Elite?) - which is Elite Plus, as is that other Gold you mentioned...
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:59 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
so did 2 or 5 get upgraded?

PE = Platinum (Elite?) - which is Elite Plus, as is that other Gold you mentioned...
5 upgrades, of which 2 Platinum (PE), 1 Gold and 2 others (I.e. did not see status).
Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:45 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
With 5 upgrades, why don't they simply reduce the business cabin by 1 row? Seems odd to upgrade 1+ row.. (4 pax per row in business)

A little while back I was upgraded ATH-AMS together with 2 other pax. They called me on the phone in the (contract) lounge to ask if I would mind to be upgraded...well that was an easy question The upgrade offer for that flight was at 129 euro - which it commonly is when the fight is full. It is not so common for me as a Gold to be upgraded though (happens maybe one out of 50 flights or so). When the flight is not full the upgrade is at 199 euro for this route.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
With 5 upgrades, why don't they simply reduce the business cabin by 1 row? Seems odd to upgrade 1+ row.. (4 pax per row in business)
This!

Perhaps some biz pax had already selected seats in the back row so rather than annoy them by moving them forward (to open up 6 new economy seats) they instead found it easier to move 5 pax forward. They probably had enough untouched boxes of KLM "gunk" from the outbound to cater for the upgrades and that otherwise would have been just thrown out....
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flew CPH-AMS this morning. EB only 30% full (6/20), it would appear that few Y pax fell for the €149 OLCI offer. The EB pax were spread out over five rows, which left only one row of EC. I had been pre-assigned 6C, which I could not have changed had wanted to, as none of the other seats were available.

The flight was so empty in the back that the purser made an announcement asking pax not to move to empty rows until after take-off, for weight and balance reasons. We thus almost took off with three elites crammed into 6ABC, and 6DEF vacant. I suggested to the purser that neither weight nor balance would be materially affected if I moved from 6C to 6D before take-off, to which he did not object.

Johan
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Was recently offered GLA-AMS for GBP 111 and AMS-TXL for GBP 74 at OLCI. No, I did not take it. Would have done so if it had been a total of GBP 74 for both legs.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
This!

Perhaps some biz pax had already selected seats in the back row so rather than annoy them by moving them forward (to open up 6 new economy seats) they instead found it easier to move 5 pax forward. They probably had enough untouched boxes of KLM "gunk" from the outbound to cater for the upgrades and that otherwise would have been just thrown out....
on the "gunk"

In my experience, they will resize the EB cabin at T-72 if there is sufficient demand in Economy. Has happened to me twice, relocated from row 5 to 1 or 2.... (both times I wanted to be directly in front of economy to be close to my travelling companion who was in Row 6)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.