The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:08 pm

329 euros hre to ams

Today i got offered 329 Euro buy up to world business class from Harare (HRE) to Amsterdam (AMS) I scoffed this offer up in a second as its a 11HR flight. I asked if there were any upgrades to buy up after viewing this site, the check in staff weren't asking customers if they wanted to upgrade, I also don't have any air miles account.

I am now in business class lounge in Harare which is nothing fancy cant wait for flight proper. Its also my birthday so I am very happy and excited, will be my first long haul business class flight, I am also a first time poster, anyway thanks to all the people who post hear without them, I wouldn't have known about asking for buy ups.

A very excited flyer.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Eddizle
Today i got offered 329 Euro buy up to world business class from Harare (HRE) to Amsterdam (AMS) I scoffed this offer up in a second as its a 11HR flight. I asked if there were any upgrades to buy up after viewing this site, the check in staff weren't asking customers if they wanted to upgrade, I also don't have any air miles account.

I am now in business class lounge in Harare which is nothing fancy cant wait for flight proper. Its also my birthday so I am very happy and excited, will be my first long haul business class flight, I am also a first time poster, anyway thanks to all the people who post hear without them, I wouldn't have known about asking for buy ups.

A very excited flyer.
Welcome to Flyertalk, Eddizle!

Hope you have a good flight!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond

A very excited flyer.
Wow, congrats, happy birthday, and welcome to FT! What was the fare class of your original ticket?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:57 pm

Hi, the flight was great, slept for half of the flight though, my original ticket was L/V Class, lots of empty seats in business class so probably was why I got an upgrade.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Hi, the flight was great, slept for half of the flight though, my original ticket was L/V Class, lots of empty seats in business class so probably was why I got an upgrade.
Awesome, thanks. I have JFK-AMS coming up in L/V later this year and would certainly jump on an offer for that price.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:37 am

When checking in for MAN-AMS-BKK last week was offered upgrade to WBC for GBP 490 on AMS-BKK leg which I declined. I had an exit row reserved FOC already.

Nothing offered on the return.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:57 pm

This week was offered upgrade at OLCI for MAN-AMS-ALA.

MAN-AMS for GBP 190 !!

AMS-ALA for GBP 610.

Declined them both.

Interestingly a first for me after boarding on the AMS-ALA, I was also approached by the Purser with the on board ipad, thanking me for flying KLM and asking as I have a fair amount of FB miles if I would like to buy an upgrade to WBC for 40k. I declined this also as traveling with a colleague. The ipad screen basically showed my FB account overview when she showed it to me with the option to press a button if I want to confirm the upgrade.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:48 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
AMS - LIM for 309 euro.

I declined. Granted the offer was not bad (its a 13hr flight!), but I was traveling with a colleague who would not want to upgrade. So I stuck with the (free) EC seats which were fine.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:18 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
AMS-BCN 99
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: M&M, M&S, SPG.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
^ Like Xandrios, I have never been offered that (despite indeed asking a couple of times if a paid upgrade could be arranged) but it would be nice to have a thread and to hope it shows a development towards a BA-type paid upgrade system, which I would personally appreciate (especially if, like BA, it potentially goes all the way to C -> P with AF)

Can someone please explain to me what type of upgrade system BA has?
How does their upgrade system work?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You'll need to check on the BA board for that, because it's a bit off-topic here, but basically you can be offered a reasonably priced upgrade at online check-in which is called a POUG, but it doesn't always happen. It never happens at the check-in machines or at the counter in the airport. They told me, when asked, that it is strictly an online thing. Some those may have changed or be inaccurate, so check on the BA board.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: LH FTL, KL Platinum, AB Gold, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond
AMS-JFK

Mid June was offered AMS-JFK upgrade for Euro 211.50. Took it of course.
Upon request for refund for my EcoComf seat (Euro 67.50) they told me that they had already included that in the offer price which should have been 279.
However, during the whole proces of booking the upgrade this was NEVER mentioned. After complaint with CS (which did take 3 calls) I did receive a travel voucher for the Euro 67.50 and a "promise" that they would instruct the IT guys to include this information in the future.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:01 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by bastiaan
Mid June was offered AMS-JFK upgrade for Euro 211.50. Took it of course.
Upon request for refund for my EcoComf seat (Euro 67.50) they told me that they had already included that in the offer price which should have been 279.
However, during the whole proces of booking the upgrade this was NEVER mentioned. After complaint with CS (which did take 3 calls) I did receive a travel voucher for the Euro 67.50 and a "promise" that they would instruct the IT guys to include this information in the future.
I think this has always been the case that the amount already paid for Economy Comfort is deducted from the total upgrade amount.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
I think this has always been the case that the amount already paid for Economy Comfort is deducted from the total upgrade amount.
You are right, but it would not hurt to state this explicitly when offering an upgrade at OLCI. Would avoid both confusion and disappointment.

Johan
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
€119 AMS-DUS tomorrow. What are they smoking??

Last edited by Concerto; Jul 16, 2014 at 11:05 am Reason: spelling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.