Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:56 am

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, FB Gold, BA Silver
Just managed to buy a upgrade from Economy Comfort to Business on AMS-HKG flight tonight for 230 euro. Good value
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLeM
Just managed to buy a upgrade from Economy Comfort to Business on AMS-HKG flight tonight for 230 euro. Good value
Well, it would appear that nobody thought €159,-- was good value for the one-hour AMS-CPH flight, as they had no takers. Nobody wanted to pay for the EER either, so the cabin crew had to appoint volunteers.

Johan
Old Oct 17, 2012, 3:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Sorry, don't remember if this had been asked/answered earlier (or even more likely, I chose to ignore it), but is the buy-up only for E/E+ or is it on a first come first serve basis? What about price difference between tier levels if open for all?

Again, I apologize if it has been discussed earlier.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, FB Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Well, it would appear that nobody thought €159,-- was good value for the one-hour AMS-CPH flight, as they had no takers. Nobody wanted to pay for the EER either, so the cabin crew had to appoint volunteers.

Johan
Yes pretty insane you can buy an upgrade at olci for a 10 hour flight for 230 euro while an upgrade for a 1 hour flight costs 159 euro. And if KLM is reading this, by all means, I mean you should reduce the price for intra Europe upgrades not raise the price for long haul upgrades
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cupart
Sorry, don't remember if this had been asked/answered earlier (or even more likely, I chose to ignore it), but is the buy-up only for E/E+ or is it on a first come first serve basis? What about price difference between tier levels if open for all?

Again, I apologize if it has been discussed earlier.
It is not limited to E/E+ but not open for all. We don't know on which basis KLM chooses the booking which get the offer nor do we know the pricingstructure (and prices flunctuate, even for one same person)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
AMS-OTP (Europe, but a longish one at 2h45m in a B738) for £88: not entirely unreasonable. I decided to treat myself, so that I can get some laptop time/space during the flight. Choice of hot meals? Three courses?

And, if my laptop should mysteriously fail to operate properly (), I can sink a fair bit of bubbly in 2½ hours.

-- Henry
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:09 am

But it's Cava, isn't it?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:17 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
But it's Cava, isn't it?
Cava or Prosecco, yes. But, if you wan't to be a Champagne Chauvinist, you're better off posting on the Air France forum!

-- Hic
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Henry III
AMS-OTP (Europe, but a longish one at 2h45m in a B738) for £88: not entirely unreasonable. I decided to treat myself, so that I can get some laptop time/space during the flight. Choice of hot meals? Three courses?

And, if my laptop should mysteriously fail to operate properly (), I can sink a fair bit of bubbly in 2½ hours.
Last time I flew this route in C there was a hot meal. Good service too. Had plenty of cognac. (I'm not a fan of bubbly.) OTOH, the AF service CDG-OTP in C offered only beer and wine (same as in Y).
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:24 am

Cava or Prosecco, yes. But, if you wan't to be a Champagne Chauvinist, you're better off posting on the Air France forum!

-- Hic
No, not at all! I think I've never even sipped real champers!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
don't know on which basis KLM chooses the booking which get the offer
On those occasions where half a dozen or so colleagues of mine have been on the same flight, they were all offered the same upgrade options at the same price at OLCI. None of them have elite status, most aren't even FB members.

Johan
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Originally Posted by simonsmith
It goes on;

Thank you very much for your message dated 9 October 2012 in which you enquire further with regards to the Miles earned when you upgrade your flights.

We regret to hear of your disappointment. When you pay a fee and/or use Miles to upgrade to Business Class you are indeed entitled to the same rights as passengers who actually purchased a Business Class ticket. With regards to earning Miles with the Flying Blue programme, we confirm that in order to earn Miles for Business Class, it is required to purchase a ticket in Business Class. If you have an Economy Class ticket, it is required to pay the fare difference and actually exchange the Economy Class ticket to Business Class which is significantly higher then the fee paid to fly in Business Class.

The rules with regards to upgrading flights can be found online under; the General Terms and Conditions of Flying Blue Programme can be found under: Flying Blue / Welcome to Flying Blue / All about Flying Blue. Please refer to point 2.8: In case of upgrades, Level or Award Miles will be awarded based on the purchased fare and not on the actual class of service flown

As per the Flying Blue rules for earning Miles, we cannot respond favourably to your request. We hope to have informed you sufficiently with regards to earning Business Class Miles.

Should you require any further information, your Flying Blue team remains at your disposal by telephone on (+ 44) 0870 24 29 242 from the United Kingdom.

Yours sincerely,

Laurent
Flying Blue Customer Service

answer fired off....they do need to sort this out as they are making a real pigs ear of it
That sounds about right...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Recieved today:

"We are writing you in response to the e-mails you sent to us with regards to the amount of Miles that was credited to your account and the account of Mr for your flight from London Heathrow to Amsterdam on 5 October 2012.

This afternoon we were unable to reach you on your mobile phone number or your landline number to discuss the matter via telephone.

We were sorry to learn that you feel you have been misled by Flying Blue. We understand that the information found on the KLM website about paid upgrades can be contradictive, as it differs from what is written about upgrades in the Flying Blue Terms and Conditions. Article 2.8 from the Flying Blue Terms and Conditions states:

2.8 In case of upgrades, Level or Award Miles will be awarded based on the purchased fare and not on the actual class of service flown.

Flying Blue have been lenient regarding upgrades by always crediting the amount of Miles for the upgraded Business Class. However, this has been changed as per 1 October 2012.

"We are aware of the information on the KLM website that states that members who buy upgrades, have the same rights as Business Class passengers. That information will be amended by the relevant department.

As a goodwill gesture and a one-off exception we have credited the Miles for your flight from London Heathrow to Amsterdam on 5 October 2012 to both your Flying Blue account, as well as to the Flying Blue account of your partner. These Miles should be visible within 48 hours.

Should you require any further information, your Flying Blue team remains at your disposal either by telephone on 0870 242 9242 from the United Kingdom or by fax on +33 158 68 68 00.

Yours sincerely,"
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, that's clear then.

It will certainly make OLCI buy-ups much less attractive for many.

Johan
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG

-- Henry
I just flew OTP-AMS a couple of weeks ago and the business meal was good. Hot dish but I'm not sure if they had 2 or 3 choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.