The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by johan rebel

I shall ask how many infants they gave her to take care of during the flight.

Regards,

Johan
... Flying Blue Platinum = TWO free infants;
... Flying Blue Gold = ONE free infant;
... Flying Blue Silver = ONE infant @50% discount (Choice & Control)
... Flying Blue Ivory = If you want an infant, you'll have to pay!
... NOT Flying Blue Member? Why you talking about infants? They're all taken by our "Most Valued Customers!"

- H
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Johan
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: KL Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by sebastianschipr
In Oct. 2012 I bought an upgrade for €279 from AMS-PVG.
I was booked in lowest fare economy R. I noticed I only got 25% of the miles.

I contacted them today, months later, via Twitter and told them I didn't get 175% miles rewarded. They said to look at the General Terms and Conditions Rule 2.8 http://goo.gl/OFjSN

But I then reminded them about what's on on this page http://goo.gl/Cqvz7
and look at rule 1.2.

They apologized for the confusion in the rules and said they will make a exception because the rules were not clear.

The miles will be in my account within 48 hours.
Originally Posted by Gajan
That is what happened in my case too
I had a similar experience on an upgrade from PVG-AMS. Upgraded from cheap economy seat to business for 279euro and didnt get the miles after several attempts at conatcting FB. Should I try again? It was in Septmeber last year.
I no longer have boarding card but sure I've still got an email trail of the episode...

Last edited by shogarth; Mar 24, 2013 at 8:37 am Reason: missing quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by shogarth
Originally Posted by sebastianschipr
In Oct. 2012 I bought an upgrade for €279 from AMS-PVG.
I was booked in lowest fare economy R. I noticed I only got 25% of the miles.

I contacted them today, months later, via Twitter and told them I didn't get 175% miles rewarded. They said to look at the General Terms and Conditions Rule 2.8 http://goo.gl/OFjSN

But I then reminded them about what's on on this page http://goo.gl/Cqvz7
and look at rule 1.2.

They apologized for the confusion in the rules and said they will make a exception because the rules were not clear.

The miles will be in my account within 48 hours.
Originally Posted by Gajan
That is what happened in my case too
I had a similar experience on an upgrade from PVG-AMS. Upgraded from cheap economy seat to business for 279euro and didnt get the miles after several attempts at conatcting FB. Should I try again? It was in Septmeber last year.
I no longer have boarding card but sure I've still got an email trail of the episode...
Afaik, you can retrocredit only up to six months after a flight date
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajs123
Afaik, you can retrocredit only up to six months after a flight date
It would appear that the original claim was submitted within that six month window, so the claimant should be able to pursue the matter until it is resolved to his satisfaction, however long that takes.

Johan
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
byebye

Last edited by nearlyheadlessian; Apr 23, 2013 at 1:10 am
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
SIN-CDG - nowt for me (Plat) while junior team member (Silver) offered and accepts by up from Y to C (for 250 I believe).

Grit teeth....

-- Dambus
Old Mar 26, 2013, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Available AMS-CPH, but they sure made it difficult to accept the offer. Not that I would have, but . . .

- using the Android app for the first time since it was updated, I got as far as seat selection, where I was presented with a completely blank seat map. After three attempts, I gave up.

- I clicked on the link in the notification e-mail instead, and was taken to the mobile site. Lo and behold, this displayed a partial seat map. That's to say, it displayed seat numbers and nothing else. That at least allowed me to click on what I guessed was an EB seat to check the price. For some reason KL have suddenly decided that I need to be shown prices in Swedish kronor, even though they have hitherto always shown me them in Euros. The upgrade was 1,363 kronor, which I assume approximately equals the usual ridiculous 159 (I should really like to know whether they have ever sold an upgrade at that price for this one hour flight).

- I went back to the app to check my boarding card. None to be found, instead I was instructed to log in, even though I have the "log me in automatically" box checked, and even though I had used the very same app a minute earlier. Once I had cleared that hurdle, I had to click on check in again to finally get the boarding card to display.

If they want to entice me to upgrade, they will not only have to offer it at a far more attractive price, but also ensure that OLCI, the app and the mobile site allow me to do so smoothly with an absolute minimum of hassle.

Johan
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
If they want to entice me to upgrade, they will not only have to offer it at a far more attractive price, but also ensure that OLCI, the app and the mobile site allow me to do so smoothly with an absolute minimum of hassle.
Maybe they're playing hard to get. In making it harder for you to purchase the UG they are making you want it even more. It's not unheard of for companies to make it harder for people to purchase their products in order to cultivate additional artificial value for their product/service.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, I had to change my schedule and book for a later flight, and now they offer me an upgrade for 130.

I could almost understand the previous offer in Swedish kronor. Even though the ticket was booked and paid for in Denmark, and the flight departs from the Netherlands and arrives in Denmark, I do live in Sweden. FB knows that, although my mailing address is in the NL.

But UK

Johan
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
GLA-AMS (B-737, not Cityhopper) offered for 62 (lowest price yet) but I declined.

As it happened, the flight was very full (previous KLc GLA-AMS seemed to be cancelled, as the E-190 was still at GLA) so I got the op-up at the gate, anyway!
Amuse: Barley and Reypenaer cheese salad with a cream of garden peas and MSC certified fillet of trout.

Meal salad: Indonesian ketoprak salad served with Thai chicken with the Better Life Hallmark and banana crisps.

Desert by Patisserie Van Wely: Orange praline desert.

Bottle of Cava.
Very nice, actually, but not really worth 62 without the C-class (status) miles.

-- Henry

PS: Just curious: does the "Better Life" hallmark pertain to the chicken or those who eat it?
PPS: I thought "MSC Certified" was something for technicians who repair PCs - darn clever trout, that!

Last edited by Henry III; Mar 27, 2013 at 12:46 pm
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
AMS-MAN. Check in on the evening before the flight. Upgrade offered on android..didn't allow me to click through on my android but on the website the upgrade was available for €79.

On the day of the flight upgrade is available for €179.

Ill arrive at counter 9-10 at AMS and check my bag. While handling my bag lady at the counter says she has to informs me that upgrades are available. Lol thats a surprise...€79 i ask?. The lady says she doesnt know but can make a call...nooone picks up her call but she tells me that since im going to the lounge i can ask there.
nom nom nom...on to the lounge..ask junior agent there...`Sure, that is €300 + miles but my collegue can help you if you want to pay only with money, i can't do that...eeuh stop there pls..youre funny, buh-bye!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I decided to take a chance and booked myself on the earlier AMS-CPH flight again. After an interesting drive down the A9 and A4 in a Smart with a wannabe Schumacher at the wheel, I got to the gate just as boarding commenced. Priority boarding worked (hurrah!) and I was give a gate upgrade. Don't know why. I didn't check to carefully, but there were two empty seats in the first economy row for starters.

Now I know everything about gift horses and looking in mouths, but . . .

The lunchtime meal they serve in EB has become a serious embarrassment. KL really need to decide whether they want to have a shorthaul premium product or not. They abolished ES and decided to call it business class again, but ever since they have been busy downgrading the inflight product.

The lunch I was served consisted of:

"Mixed salad with sun-dried tomatoes and mustard sauce"

Tomatoes? Plural? What I got amounted to not even one-third of a small tomato, and the rest of the salad consisted of a spoonful of the cheapest lettuce available mixed with another spoonful of the same stuff. There was enough mustard dressing, however, to drench half a dozen of these mixed salads.

"Vegetarian club sandwich". (the other option was Italian Roll with 'GlobalG.A.P.' (sic) smoked salmon. Global what?)

I recall the huge sandwiches with Old Amsterdam cheese they used to serve in ES. The current offering is almost as good as the discounted day-old sandwich you can buy at a 7Eleven at 4 a.m.: dry,stale and without much flavor.

Dessert by the same Ptisserie that provided Henry III with his pudding:

"Rasberry and vanilla mousse with pistachio cake"

This was one of those plastic thimbles with three layers in different colors, all sickeningly sweet. This is the type of dessert one sees lined up in rows at three-star all-inclusive resort buffets: they look pretty, and are very cheap to make. At least resort guests can help themselves to two dozen if they like.

Add to this the cardboard box, a paper napkin so thin that it was translucent, cheap plastic cutlery in garish colors and not even a wet towel or toothpick, and you get the picture.

As an aside, the cabin was very cold (and this comes from somebody who is typing this post in a room where the temperture is 14.5C, just the way I like it). When the aircraft started to descend, ice cold air started blowing out of every single crack in the ceiling, which caused angry man in 2A to have an outburst. He in turn was scolded by the lead FA, who admonished him for not complaining earlier. Angry man announced he would take the matter up with KLM management.

Johan
Old Mar 31, 2013, 3:06 am

Programs: BA/KLM/TK/MH GOLD
AUH --> AMS : 288 euro

Thought to give it a go since I paid 400 for the flight and a return tix in C sells for 3000...

Seat: crappy
Food: It was seriously a FEBO meal with a salad
Wines: Champers OK, wines a la Norton..
Crew: plenty, but god knows what they were doing
Arrival: No gate, was 15 min parked - bags arrived 40 min later....

KLM seriously needs to step it up in C...

On the contrast: EY BKK-AUH cash upgrade: 265 euro.

Seat: Flat, every seat aisle access
Food: fantastic, tastey, gourmet quality..
Wines: Champers Bollinger, wines excelent selections
Crew: two gents running the entire C cabin; eye for detail, flair and kinda fun.
Arrival: bags out in 15 min....
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:45 am
Koc

OSL-AMS 79€ (Fare M), no thanks

AMS-LUN 311€ (Fare M), yes please

Last edited by Koc; Apr 1, 2013 at 8:36 am Reason: Correct price, excluded economy comfort

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.