The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Jun 5, 2024, 1:53 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Someone who is already purchasing J seats has shown themselves to be able and willing to pay for J. So has someone who has bought an upgrade. They should not get the perverse incentive of buying cheap Y and hoping for a cheap J upgrade.

Someone who is always travelling Y and has not purchased J should be offered cheap OLCI upgrades as an incentive to try J at marginal profit. They are not subject to loss from lost opportunity to sell J for them, yet.
If they pick up the upgrade once or twice, they will be sent to "purgatory" to discourage the same behaviour i.e. buying Y and hoping for cheap J upgrades. AFKL want the people to buy J outright, prefferably.
Fair point, but it's a risky strategy. Someone who normally flies Y and never J is IMO much less likely to buy an upgrade than someone who has a habit of flying J, regardless of the price. Let's not forget that most Y flyers are unwilling to pay even for seat assignment, let alone a full J upgrade. Additionally, elites will use the priority lane, lounge etc. whether they fly in Y or J, whereas an Explorer or Silver gets those as an additional benefit, thereby increasing the operational cost of the upgrade to AFKL.

Of course, one would have to see the numbers to draw any kind of conclusions (maybe it's working great for them?), but instinctively and judging by this thread, I remain unconvinced.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 2:07 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I stand on the opposite side, I firmly believe that it makes more sense this way. With the margins involved, every time a "premium" pax will say "I would buy J, but I will rather buy Y and hope for a cheap J upgrade" you lose 10x the margin you gain by "non-premium" pax going "I bought Y but this cheap J upgrade looks good".
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 2:45 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
I stand on the opposite side, I firmly believe that it makes more sense this way. With the margins involved, every time a "premium" pax will say "I would buy J, but I will rather buy Y and hope for a cheap J upgrade" you lose 10x the margin you gain by "non-premium" pax going "I bought Y but this cheap J upgrade looks good".
might be true - however giving occasional discounted upgrades to your top frequent flyers would't hurt much if there is not a system people could predict and abuse.

Many frequent flyers earn their status by corporate business flights - then they are on vacation with family and travel in Y - I would be very pissed if all my family members received cheapo upgrade offers and I as the frequent flyer have to pay a ridiculous amount. That's the point where I question my loyalty and probably decide to prefer to fly other carriers in the future (that are maybe even cheaper in Y and J).
Old Jun 5, 2024, 3:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
AMS-LHR 80 Euro

Did not take, as with Elite+ and Privium+, I don't see many added benefits.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 4:00 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
might be true - however giving occasional discounted upgrades to your top frequent flyers would't hurt much if there is not a system people could predict and abuse.

Many frequent flyers earn their status by corporate business flights - then they are on vacation with family and travel in Y - I would be very pissed if all my family members received cheapo upgrade offers and I as the frequent flyer have to pay a ridiculous amount. That's the point where I question my loyalty and probably decide to prefer to fly other carriers in the future (that are maybe even cheaper in Y and J).
There is a point to potential of otherwise high revenue pax flying low revenue on leisure, but how is AFKL supposed to know that there is a different PNR with your family members on it?
Offering cheap upgrades to everyone just on the off chance that there is another member of a travelling party on a separate reservation from the high revenue pax is turning the point of targeted pricing on its head.

Note that we don't have differential pricing on the same PNR at least as far as I have heard.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 5:14 am

There is a point to potential of otherwise high revenue pax flying low revenue on leisure, but how is AFKL supposed to know that there is a different PNR with your family members on it?
No, sorry - my travel companions have been on the SAME PNR as I and got way cheaper upgrade offers. AF/KL didn't have to guess.
And at least when you checkin together on separate PNRs you get to the seat selection after the system knows that you are a travel party.
Old Jun 6, 2024, 1:08 am

NUE-AMS - 59€ for me, 45€ for travel companion
Didn't book the upgrade - flight is oversold. Maybe there will be an op-up
Old Jun 6, 2024, 12:59 pm

AMS-PRG at 99€ - tempted but resisted...
Old Jun 7, 2024, 3:32 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan Basic; BA Executive Club Blue;
06.06.2024 on LCY-AMS. No Flying Blue Account, but a Basic Virgin Atlantic Flying Club member.

Flight 992-no upgrade offer and flight was cancelled anyway.

was rebooked on Flight 998. and was offered an upgrade for 75. Given there's no lounge provision at LCY, that's 75 for a wander box and a bottle of cheap cava so kept my seat in 4A.

For what it's worth, EBC was 1 row with 3/4 seats booked.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
NUE-AMS - 59 for me, 45 for travel companion
Didn't book the upgrade - flight is oversold. Maybe there will be an op-up
As expected - both of us got an op-up. The German Airlines Embraers have such a huge legspace in the first three rows 👍
AnaTFN, dkeng and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 3:46 pm

Programs: FB Plat
02/06 - AMS-BIO - EUR 199 - Stayed in row 5 with one of the few free seats next to me (2 rows before I would not have had a free seat next to me with 2-2 on Embrear and 5/6 seats full)
06/06 - BIO-AMS - EUR 199 - Stayed in row 5 EC - no special fast track working (though hardly any line either), lounge closed because of strikes (though when asking whether lounge available at check-in, the agent just referred me to there)

Feeling really appreciated as a FB Platinum customer again at KLM with the only recognition being the ridiculous upgrade price prior to the flight. The KLM/AF prices are getting ridiculous on many routes (short and long haul) compared to competition - and business class prices even more so. Besides that due to policy on business travel I'm not allowed to book business class, it adds so little value for Elite Plus customers within Europe for the prices paid that I can hardly imagine people flying it unless combined with a long haul flight. Would be willing to pay a bit more for the upgrade - provided I do get a free seat next to me and would get the extra XP.
Old Jun 8, 2024, 2:57 pm

GIG-AMS 799 euro (or 101k miles) with 3 seats left with OCLI open. 2 hours later, all seats seem occupied.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 2:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum
AMS-WAW at 99 EUR.

Didn't take it and ended up with an empty seat next to me, and the purser stopped by to offer drinks from J
Old Jun 11, 2024, 3:02 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
LBA-AMS 152 GBP
AMS-BUD 169 GBP
No thanks, KLM.
On an Embraer it's the same seat in the back. And I don't eat prawns, so the meal box is a waste of money...
On my previous business Europe flight MAN-NUE return I was offered prawns on all four flight segments.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 4:53 am

Husband and I on same flight today AMS - YUL

Both on different bookings. On landing at AMS from GLA we were notified, on the app, that we could upgrade.

$592 CAD for him
$1479 CAD for me

both same fare type on booking, I upgraded my outbound. No idea why such a huge discrepancy.

Declined. We have bulkhead seats and it is a daytime flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.