The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old May 29, 2024, 6:25 am

AMS-PRG: a very random 75,70. Took it.
Old May 29, 2024, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
Originally Posted by erik123
When flying from the US (JFK) online check-in is handled by Delta. I don't recall ever seeing buy-up offers. Is this correct or is there a way around it?
Nah, you can call or try at the gate. But it's usually impossible to get a miles quote, so cash upgrades only. By the time you get to the gate, any vacant seat is usually already filled up with nonrev's.
Old May 29, 2024, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by BobTL
It's for now legal to make personalized offers and even though it seens unfair, from a business point of view, it makes perfectly sense.
Just as it makes perfect sense for their customers to have their FF number removed from the reservation after their initial seat selection (or changed to an other alliance FF number without status) and have it put back in after online check-in and possibly after having bought an upgrade. It's annoying, but it does work..
JorgeGomez likes this.
Old May 29, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Another user name to remember
AMS-PRG: a very random 75,70. Took it.
Sounds like you might have paid for ASR?

ASR paid is discounted from the upgrade price.
Old May 30, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK ELP, LA PASS Black, FB Platinum
(AF/KL is cynical about this. The offers are personalized. Likely you have used upgrade offers in the past and maybe even purchased a regular J seat ticket, either privately or for business. In the part, you have enjoyed a very sharp J upgrade offer that you likely have said yes to. Your 'Gold' partner probably hasn't flown J recently and she gets an offer to seduce her to use it, get a great experience and in the future will either book a regular J ticket or pay more for a future upgrade.

It's for now legal to make personalized offers and even though it seens unfair, from a business point of view, it makes perfectly sense.
I haven't used an upgrade offer since one year. Was the only flight I had in premium economy with AF. All other flight I booked the last 2 years were business.
Old May 30, 2024, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by roelb
Just as it makes perfect sense for their customers to have their FF number removed from the reservation after their initial seat selection (or changed to an other alliance FF number without status) and have it put back in after online check-in and possibly after having bought an upgrade. It's annoying, but it does work..
Exactly this I will try in my next flight. The problem is only that I cannot reserve a seat for free without the frequent flyer number
Old May 30, 2024, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by JorgeGomez
Exactly this I will try in my next flight. The problem is only that I cannot reserve a seat for free without the frequent flyer number
So you put in your FB number at booking. Then, after all is set and done, you call and ask to have your FF number changed to some other alliance program (Skymiles or whatever, where you don't have status).

Your selected seats won't change.
Old Jun 2, 2024, 7:30 am

JFK-AMS Y to PE: $295
Old Jun 2, 2024, 9:41 am

(AF/KL is cynical about this. The offers are personalized. Likely you have used upgrade offers in the past and maybe even purchased a regular J seat ticket, either privately or for business. In the part, you have enjoyed a very sharp J upgrade offer that you likely have said yes to. Your 'Gold' partner probably hasn't flown J recently and she gets an offer to seduce her to use it, get a great experience and in the future will either book a regular J ticket or pay more for a future upgrade.

way back. Just made the online check-in. Travelling in Premium economy
For my wife
DXB-AMS no offer
AMS-DUS 49 Euros

For me
DXB-AMS no offer
AMS-DUS 149 Euros.

So for me the triple price. Thats really not to believe and although we have absolutely no interest to upgrade that leg it makes me now really angry. If we had not had separate bookings, we would never have known about this unequal treatment.
AnaTFN and wuzziduzziman like this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 7:06 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
We plats may be seen as the rich people who can afford more, humble explorers or silvers are lured into the J experience for lower prices....I guess.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 7:19 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by atflyer
We plats may be seen as the rich people who can afford more, humble explorers or silvers are lured into the J experience for lower prices....I guess.
That indeed appears to be their rational.
But looking at the specific example of a Gold to Platinum multiplier of 3 it makes very limited sense...
AnaTFN likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 7:57 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by atflyer
humble explorers or silvers are lured into the J experience for lower prices....I guess.
This is where the logic breaks for me. If someone is such an infrequent AFKL flyer that they don't even make Gold within the programme, (i) what are the odds that they will suddenly start booking J and (ii) what is the value in acquiring them as a customer?

It seems to me like someone overengineered the relatively simple task of offering unsold seats at a lower price last-minute.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by JorgeGomez
way back. Just made the online check-in. Travelling in Premium economy
For my wife
DXB-AMS no offer
AMS-DUS 49 Euros

For me
DXB-AMS no offer
AMS-DUS 149 Euros.

So for me the triple price. Thats really not to believe and although we have absolutely no interest to upgrade that leg it makes me now really angry. If we had not had separate bookings, we would never have known about this unequal treatment.
Now. 5 hours before the flight was checking again the upgrade options. Now DXB-AMS ia available for upgrade to business class.
Offer for my wife: 449 Euros
Offer for me :799 Euros.

Without words
jerry_greece and AnaTFN like this.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 3:35 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by gojko88
This is where the logic breaks for me. If someone is such an infrequent AFKL flyer that they don't even make Gold within the programme, (i) what are the odds that they will suddenly start booking J and (ii) what is the value in acquiring them as a customer?

It seems to me like someone overengineered the relatively simple task of offering unsold seats at a lower price last-minute.
Someone who is already purchasing J seats has shown themselves to be able and willing to pay for J. So has someone who has bought an upgrade. They should not get the perverse incentive of buying cheap Y and hoping for a cheap J upgrade.

Someone who is always travelling Y and has not purchased J should be offered cheap OLCI upgrades as an incentive to try J at marginal profit. They are not subject to loss from lost opportunity to sell J for them, yet.
If they pick up the upgrade once or twice, they will be sent to "purgatory" to discourage the same behaviour i.e. buying Y and hoping for cheap J upgrades. AFKL want the people to buy J outright, prefferably.

You don't need either of these pax to be regular passengers. A passenger who buys a high margin J ticket once or twice a year is more profitable than a Plat who flies Y and does low margin OLCI upgrades when possible.
MichielR, mlin32, atflyer and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 11:37 pm

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
At OLCI LHR-AMS 68GBP Y-C AMSBKK 390GBP PE to WBC took the latter
John
Maestro Ramen likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.