The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old May 17, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: Skyteam gold
AMS - PVG Economy to (old) business - 17th May £790 GBP or 135k miles. Needless to say I didnít.
Old May 20, 2024, 1:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
(AF)
TUN-CDG £197
CDG-BHX £204

One of these is a better deal than the other. But still 4x too much for me to consider!
Old May 20, 2024, 3:50 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by gojko88
Not sure if I'd splash Ä600 on top of a Y+ fare for a daytime flight.
For 11 hours I consider it a good deal. Even for a day flight.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:38 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by erik123
When flying from the US (JFK) online check-in is handled by Delta. I don't recall ever seeing buy-up offers. Is this correct or is there a way around it?
Not at OLCI. You can ask at the gate.
Old May 23, 2024, 8:11 pm

AMS-JFK. From PE to Business 369 Euro per person. Took it, pretty long flight and PE ticket was only 35k miles
AnaTFN, gojko88, dkeng and 3 others like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 1:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Tomorrow

BRS-AMS £153 (zero J seats sold, 4 available).

AMS-BEG £170 (3 J seats sold, 3 available).

I don't know what they're smoking in revenue management, who is paying these prices?
Old May 28, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK ELP, LA PASS Black, FB Platinum
different amounts for the upgrade

Today I checked in online for my flight DUS-AMS-DXB tomorrow. I am extremely annoyed and shocked by this pricing policy. I am flying with my wife. Separate bookings because we both used the Valentine's Day voucher. Both bookings were made at exactly the same minute and at the same price. So everything is completely identical in the bookings. My wife is Gold, I am Platinum. We booked Premium Economy.
Upgrade offer for my wife:
DUS-AMS 69 Euros
AMS-DXB 299 Euros
Upgrade offer for me:
DUS-AMS 149 euros
AMS-DXB 799 euros.
It is an immense impudence to demand such price differences and to annoy and rip off the best customers with such price differences. Calls and emails to the Platinum Service Line yielded nothing. They claimed that only one seat would be available for 299 euros and that the price would increase after that. This is of course complete nonsense, as the upgrade for my wife was not used at all. Why does KLM do this to its best customers?

Last edited by JorgeGomez; May 28, 2024 at 4:14 pm
Old May 28, 2024, 3:51 pm

This is yet another proof of giving worse offers to Plats, and we always get excuses for why this is (as they tried with you) but definitely this keeps happening. I also don't understand what KLM gets out of this.
Old May 29, 2024, 12:14 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AnaTFN
I also don't understand what KLM gets out of this.
More revenue if passengers bite?
hhdl likes this.
Old May 29, 2024, 12:21 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
JorgeGomez, I got an opportunity to bring this up with AF/KL management last year, during a PfL/Ultimate event in Brussels. They appeared totally surprised and suggested it could have been system glitches... They promised however to check internally. Obviously, nothing changed but I guess we should continue escalating these kind of things.
AnaTFN likes this.
Old May 29, 2024, 1:05 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, MeliŠ silver.
Originally Posted by JorgeGomez
(...) Why does KLM do this to its best customers?
Because AF/KL don't see upgrades as a way to reward loyal customers.

Historically, upgrades for customers in general were frown upon at AF&KL, as they meant less opportunities to fly biz for staff or F&F on staff tickets.

Things have changed somehow, but upgrades are still something hard to swallow for them, so they restrict them with the justification that they must be used primarily to attract new business, threrefore they offer upgrades to infrequent flyers, new customers, or less frequent flyers.

They pretend that they try to show how gooooood their premium product is to customers who would otherwise never had known that flying biz was more comfortable than flying Y.

They pretend as well, that if they offer upgrades to customers who can afford biz, those same customers will stop buying biz and fly Y or W instead, as if when you can afford biz, you choose to take the risk of not being upgraded and spend 13 miserable hours in a Y seat!
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by carnarvon; May 29, 2024 at 2:43 am
Old May 29, 2024, 1:21 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
BER-AMS 179 EUR
AMS-FLR 199 EUR

Obviously, didn't take it. Ended up with an empty seat next to me on both legs, and very attentive FA who brought me wine from J ("die is, neem ik aan, wat lekkerder").
Old May 29, 2024, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Because AF/KL don't see upgrades as a way to reward loyal customers.
[...] upgrades are still something hard to swallow for them, so they restrict them with the justification that they must be used primarily to attract new business"
I could see that argument, but his partner is Gold, those already fly quite a bit. None of those are new business, both are loyal customers.
wuzziduzziman likes this.
Old May 29, 2024, 4:18 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, MeliŠ silver.
Originally Posted by AnaTFN
I could see that argument, but his partner is Gold, those already fly quite a bit. None of those are new business, both are loyal customers.
I am not saying they are right, I am saying this is their mindset.

Gold is less of a frequent flyer than Plat...

So, let's say "new or more business"...

Last edited by carnarvon; May 29, 2024 at 5:38 am
Old May 29, 2024, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by JorgeGomez
Today I checked in online for my flight DUS-AMS-DXB tomorrow. I am extremely annoyed and shocked by this pricing policy. I am flying with my wife. Separate bookings because we both used the Valentine's Day voucher. Both bookings were made at exactly the same minute and at the same price. So everything is completely identical in the bookings. My wife is Gold, I am Platinum. We booked Premium Economy.
Upgrade offer for my wife:
DUS-AMS 69 Euros
AMS-DXB 299 Euros
Upgrade offer for me:
DUS-AMS 149 euros
AMS-DXB 799 euros.
It is an immense impudence to demand such price differences and to annoy and rip off the best customers with such price differences. Calls and emails to the Platinum Service Line yielded nothing. They claimed that only one seat would be available for 299 euros and that the price would increase after that. This is of course complete nonsense, as the upgrade for my wife was not used at all. Why does KLM do this to its best customers?

(AF/KL is cynical about this. The offers are personalized. Likely you have used upgrade offers in the past and maybe even purchased a regular J seat ticket, either privately or for business. In the part, you have enjoyed a very sharp J upgrade offer that you likely have said yes to. Your 'Gold' partner probably hasn't flown J recently and she gets an offer to seduce her to use it, get a great experience and in the future will either book a regular J ticket or pay more for a future upgrade.

It's for now legal to make personalized offers and even though it seens unfair, from a business point of view, it makes perfectly sense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.