Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were they to pick a more suitable price point they might perhaps entice at a few pax to upgrade, generating much needed cash flow and revenue.

Johan
Thysk likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by johan rebel
How much?!?

Have they gone completely bonkers?

Johan
You seem surprised, but I'm sure you've received offers to upgrade from Y to J on AF short-hauls these days too... KL is completely sane in comparison with this kind of pricing.
Thysk likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maalloc
You seem surprised, but I'm sure you've received offers to upgrade from Y to J on AF short-hauls these days too
Well no, as I fly in paid J I don't get them. But do tell, how exorbitant are they?

Johan
Thysk likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Well no, as I fly in paid J I don't get them. But do tell, how exorbitant are they?

Johan
Let's just say that while service is exceptional, the upgrade fare is back to normal. So around ~100€ for a short-haul Y->J on a crappy A320 cabin.
It's even more bittersweet on domestic France->France flights where an upgrade allows you to book first row that Elite+ members had for free last year before the J cabin was introduced.
Thysk likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 3:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by arjen05
CUR-AMS Y -> J 7 available, 899 EUR.
How many IPB'ers ended up taking those seats?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thysk
How many IPB'ers ended up taking those seats?
Given that Rutte has declared vacations a huge no-no that he and the entire Tweede Kamer frown upon, KLM has surely suspended all IPB perks, with the sole exception of truly extremely exceptional essential travel?

Surely the airline's employees don't want to set a bad example by going on frivolous freebie trips?

Right?

Johan
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Given that Rutte has declared vacations a huge no-no that he and the entire Tweede Kamer frown upon, KLM has surely suspended all IPB perks, with the sole exception of truly extremely exceptional essential travel?

Surely the airline's employees don't want to set a bad example by going on frivolous freebie trips?

Right?

Johan
Hahaha, this is a rhetoric question, right ?
johan rebel and Didymis like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
In my few European flights in COVID times, I received several pretty good offers for upgrades. They were consistently 49 euros, on the following routes:
AMS-POZ (7 passengers on board, business was empty)
WAW-AMS (half full, business was empty)
AMS-SPU (full)
SPU-AMS (full)
I never took any of these taking the paired back catering into account, while I have all other benefits included in my Gold status.

Before COVID, I also remember a 519 euro offer on AMS-ATL in February, or 400 euro and 10,000 miles. Didn't take it, but I would have considered it it was a red eye flight.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Had Ams Alc on an E 190 for .... 89, e . aircraft was 80 % full. Usually it is at 99 euro.. Did not take it but could see from row 3 that an older lady seated at row 2 was well treated by very friendly staff...
Some of these leisure destinations seem to do well, with lots of extra flights to Split, Malaga and Alicante scheduled not just in summer
Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:27 am

AMS-JFK Eu 549.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by PrimeMinister
I received several pretty good offers for upgrades. They were consistently 49 euros, on the following routes:
AMS-POZ (7 passengers on board, business was empty)
WAW-AMS (half full, business was empty)
You received standard fares for these routes

Originally Posted by PrimeMinister
I never took any of these taking the paired back catering into account, while I have all other benefits included in my Gold status..
Covid or not covid , these are kind of worthless if you have STE+ , its basically better catering (if available) , which is not worth 50 euros
Old Jan 26, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
899 EUR the other day on AUA-AMS. Didn't take it given that I had 3 EC seats to myself and in light of the reduced J service these days.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: FB Platinum
YVR-AMS EUR 529. Roughly 20 passengers, 2 in WBC.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that KLM desperately needs every cent of extra income it can generate, one wonders if they would not make more if they priced these upgrades realistically.

Johan
Arpoador likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:42 am

Given that KLM desperately needs every cent of extra income it can generate, one wonders if they would not make more if they priced these upgrades realistically.

Johan
Computer said No, I daresay. I strongly suspect all their amazing demand prediction and yield management models are not performing very well with load factors deep below 50%.
Some of this prices I would consider too high even at best of the times:

They either think that price sensitivity is not there anymore and those who need to fly will fly even at very high costs, and those don't need, will avoid flying no matter how cheap it is; or they are trying to compensate for operational burden (constant rebooking of the tickets when flights get cancelled/shifted) or they are really afraid of overriding their models and preferring to err at higher price point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.