The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by AnaTFN
AMS-BSL 149 EUR for October 24th
On city hopper (so no middle seat free), just a bit over 1 hour flight and during catering strike
Went out with 2/8 occupied
Ditto GVA-AMS 24.10 for I believe 89 Euro. But since catering strike why would I bite. Indeed, my impression was most duo seats in biz were occupied by 2 people. We in Y had stroopwafel + 1 water cup. Overall I believe KL must love the strike. Cheaper catering for them, that is all. No clue what they served in biz.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I'm sure they were given an extra stroopwafel to share between them.

Johan
Those stroopwafels are rather nice - not bad for €74.50 apiece!

Joking aside, I'm still hoping for a reasonable-ish offer for my overnighter from ORD to AMS in a few weeks' time, which has been downguaged from a 747 to a 787.

I really don't want to spend 9 night-time hours shoe-horned into a 9-across 787. But how much am I willing to fork out to avoid that? That is the question.

Right now, I'm thinking about €500 or $600 would be a fair price. But then, I'm currently three sheets to the wind after two bottles of Chenin Blanc. Whether I'll think the same in the cold light of day (or in the hungover purgatory of a Chicago airport hotel) remains to be seen.
Carel1 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: FB Plat
OSL-AMS OCT29
149€ or 33,100 miles when doing OLCI (7/8 available)
89€ after check in by looking at seat map (5/8 available)
Cityhopper, no middle seats.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
A friend, today OCT29 AMS-PTY €440 as explorer, not too bad I think.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:53 am
Suspended

AF820 CDG-HAV this coming Thursday.

141.20GBP for PE or 374.40GBP for J.

As this is a 10-across 777, I am seriously considering the J offer (I don't rate PE, particularly with the fixed armrests and if I'm going to upgrade I may as well go the whole hog).

However, the seatmap looks extremely empty in Y and with careful seat selection I seriously think I might be in with a chance of an empty row. Even if I can swing an empty seat next to me I will be perfectly happy.

With this in mind, I think I'm going to decline this and take the gamble in Y. If it were a full overnighter, I would go for it.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You're going to Havana. What luck! I have always wanted to go there, especially before it gets too developed (and obviously ruined in the process, like everywhere else). Hope it works out with the upgrades. Let us know how it went.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Concerto
You're going to Havana. What luck! I have always wanted to go there, especially before it gets too developed (and obviously ruined in the process, like everywhere else). Hope it works out with the upgrades. Let us know how it went.
Will do! I'm only there for four days en route to the USA, but I intend to make the most of it.

I'm still thinking I'm going to decline the upgrade and gamble on the empty row/seat in Y. I'll check out the seatmap when I land at CDG tomorrow and see how it's filling up.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, if it's a day flight the Y is definitely bearable. Keep the money and spend it on something nice there.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Yes, if it's a day flight the Y is definitely bearable. Keep the money and spend it on something nice there.
I just did some research and it seems the HAV flight is on a 3-class 777-300ER with 2-3-2 angle-flat in J.

This absolutely makes the decision. Down the back with a beer and a few hundred quid extra in my back pocket.

The upgrade offer on the KLM 787 returning ORD-AMS is the one I'm really interested in.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would do the same and I think you made the right call!
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:07 pm
Suspended

I would do the same and I think you made the right call!
Time to start eating into the savings at the airport hotel at MXP!
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
AMS-CDG 89 Eur
CDG-CAI 343 Eur on KLM app, 479 Eur at airport
CDG-AMS, 89 Eur

the AF staff at CAI was fairly aggressive in selling the CDG-AMS upgrades (by highlighting perks like fast-track security, priority lanes for passport control and lounge at CDG which as someone standing in the SkyPriority lane I already have...)
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
BKK - AMS €599

3 seats available, didn’t take it as it is a day flight
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
BKK - AMS €599

3 seats available, didn’t take it as it is a day flight
Yes but a looonng one !
not a bad price IMO.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ok986
CDG-CAI 343 Eur on KLM app, 479 Eur at airport

the AF staff at CAI was fairly aggressive in selling the CDG-AMS upgrades (by highlighting perks like fast-track security, priority lanes for passport control and lounge at CDG which as someone standing in the SkyPriority lane I already have...)
Goodness that 479 Euro is a price I only would consider for intercontinental upgrades from Y-Z (no, not PE)...not for a 4-5 hr flight. Particularly if it is on a A320/321 with normal economy seats and middle seat blocked. How can they ask something like this!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.