The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked in online. Pre-assgined 3A, so 1 row of EB. Although the flight is zeroed out in both classes, the offered no less than five out of six EB seats for the price of . . . . wait for it . . . . €100!

€100 for a minscule salad, a sandwich and a tiny dessert?

Where's the marketing psychology here? Have they never heard of €99 specials?

Johan
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:04 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Just checked in online. Pre-assgined 3A, so 1 row of EB. Although the flight is zeroed out in both classes, the offered no less than five out of six EB seats for the price of . . . . wait for it . . . . €100!

€100 for a minscule salad, a sandwich and a tiny dessert?

Where's the marketing psychology here? Have they never heard of €99 specials?

Johan
The AMS-FCO upgrade offer for my flight this weekend was above € 200 (I never pay much attention to the offer as I find the difference between Y and C within Europe not worth spending money on). Flight was also zeroed out in both classes. So I, as well as at least 2 FB-Golds, got the upgrade for free

By the way, related to earlier discussion - C was 3 full rows, incl 1A-C which I never had seen before in a 737.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NB00
So I, as well as at least 2 FB-Golds, got the upgrade for free .
Congratulations.

I shall see what happens at the gate. KL no doubt having read this thread, they will probably decide I do not deserve a sandwich for lunch.

Originally Posted by NB00
By the way, related to earlier discussion - C was 3 full rows, incl 1A-C which I never had seen before in a 737.
The seat map for one of the other flights showed 1A-C as well, they must be making good progress removing those wardrobes.

Johan
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
The seat map for one of the other flights showed 1A-C as well, they must be making good progress removing those wardrobes.Johan
This one was with 1A-C and a still with a wardrobe.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Is it just me, or all short-haul flights now given the opportunity to upgrade, no matter if the flight is full or not.... (I know this because most of my flights are empty lately...)
I have been given this option everytime I fly since the change of the summer timetable, not that the upgrade is cheap or anything.

Sincerely,

SB
Old May 3, 2012, 5:17 pm
ixs

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by strikerbird
Is it just me, or all short-haul flights now given the opportunity to upgrade, no matter if the flight is full or not.... (I know this because most of my flights are empty lately...)
Nah. My flight tomorrow is at C2 Y9+.
Seatmap shows 27/70 seats taken in ECO with 1/5 exit row seats taken.

No upgrade...
Old May 8, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Was offered 219 for both AMS-ARN as ARN-AMS, booking class U, sequence numbers 16 and 8 with 5/8 and 8/12 business seats available. Upgrade price remained the same up to 1 hour prior to departure.

Of course not taken up the offer, got seats in the front rows anyway and on the way back even with the middle seat free.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KL895
Was offered 219.
How Much?

Have they gone mad?

Johan
Old May 9, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
How Much?

Have they gone mad?

Johan
I regret to confirm that this wasn't a slip of the (typing) finger, and they really asked a two-hundred-and-nineteen euro supplement per one way segment on a 550 return ticket.

AMS-ARN didn't have many seats left, but ARN-AMS was only about 60% full so you'd think that any euro earned extra would have been welcome. Of course not at all saying they should offer upgrades at cost price, but this way they for sure won't make much extra (I hope...)!
Old May 9, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum. Finnair Silver, LH Senator, Hyatt Platinum, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold
Its not always cheap - i was offered to pay 1600 EUR from Seoul to Amsterdam from ECO-WBC! I rather spent my well deserved 52000 miles instead...
Old May 10, 2012, 11:01 am
ixs

Programs: Many
179 for STR-AMS on a 75% filled plane.

Bit steep for a that...
Old May 10, 2012, 11:46 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver, IHG Gold, RH VIP
CHF 220 per person for a one way GVA - AMS... Seats show up as World Business Class on a 737... Don't think so!
Old May 10, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cupart
CHF 220 per person for a one way GVA - AMS... Seats show up as World Business Class on a 737... Don't think so!
As reported by Guy Betsy here.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Well, here's another downer on my "WBC" experience... I still got my measly 25% of miles for the IST-AMS sector (originally booked in "N" class) when I had bought and paid for the upgrade !

Time to cash in on all my miles and say sayonara to this programme.
Isn't maintaining the booking class mileage credit SOP for AF/KLM? I know it is for AA/BA at least.

Being able to "buy up" to a higher mileage credit would be a very big incentive for me if possible.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
With KLM, on a paid upgrade (even with this offer), you get mileage corresponding with the new fare class.
This is not with operational/FB upgrades.

On AF, when you get an e-mail with a paid offer, you'll get the mileage corresponding with your ORIGINAL bookingclass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.