Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by Xizm
Embraer?
Yes, E190
Old May 21, 2019, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennhaak
Yesterday, AMS-VLC, €179 to move from 2A to row 1, no thank you, J stayed empty.
I'm really curious to know whether anybody ever pays that amount (or thereabouts) for a shorthaul upgrade.

One can only assume that KL yield management has done its homework and sets OLCI upgrades at a price point that generates at least some additional income, while minimizing the risk of hurting J class sales.

There must surely be a sweet spot somewhere.

Johan
wuzziduzziman and glennhaak like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I'm really curious to know whether anybody ever pays that amount (or thereabouts) for a shorthaul upgrade.

One can only assume that KL yield management has done its homework and sets OLCI upgrades at a price point that generates at least some additional income, while minimizing the risk of hurting J class sales.

There must surely be a sweet spot somewhere.

Johan
I've seen OLCI offers go down closer to the flight time, I suppose for someone who doesn't fly often and have no clue what they will get from flying J the offer might be appealing.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Later today: VLC-AMS €179 again... Not in 179 years...
Xizm likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Friday 24 May TRD-AMS - was moved for free upon boarding from row 4 to 1C in an E190 together with another passenger who ended up in 1A . My guess is they had 3 biz passengers who they had to give the 1 and 2DF and 2 AC seats. Implying 2 seats left which they used for overselling economy and moving people with status forward (am plat). This time full biz meal service. But that nice salad and the extra wine would be by far the most expensive (light) meal/drink combo I had in Norway if you would do this by buy-up on OLCI (typically 90- 100 Euro; with Norway not being cheap on drinks at all). For me upgrading at OLCI makes only sense for long-haul.
Old May 25, 2019, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by atflyer
For me upgrading at OLCI makes only sense for long-haul.
I may disagree with this. It all depends on the price and the extra services amenities you get. I once bought a paid upgrade on LX for LHR-GVA for 50 EUR. I have no status in *A and this upgrade gave me priority check-in, priority at security, lounge access in LHR, priority boarding, middle seat blocked, a proper meal tray and Champagne. A super deal !!
Back to AFKL, if you are FB gold or plat and having a paid upgrade in E190 where they don't even block the seat near you means just paying for a slightly better meal and so this is indeed a waste of money. On a "long" medium-haul flight operated with B737 (KL) or A320 (AF) with middle seat blocked, it makes more sense up to let's say 80 EUR and certainly no more than 100 EUR IMHO.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I may disagree with this. It all depends on the price and the extra services amenities you get. I once bought a paid upgrade on LX for LHR-GVA for 50 EUR. I have no status in *A and this upgrade gave me priority check-in, priority at security, lounge access in LHR, priority boarding, middle seat blocked, a proper meal tray and Champagne. A super deal !!
Back to AFKL, if you are FB gold or plat and having a paid upgrade in E190 where they don't even block the seat near you means just paying for a slightly better meal and so this is indeed a waste of money. On a "long" medium-haul flight operated with B737 (KL) or A320 (AF) with middle seat blocked, it makes more sense up to let's say 80 EUR and certainly no more than 100 EUR IMHO.
Sure, if you have no status and 50 Euro for prio and lounge that is a good deal - but then I am FB gold so have this already.......Agree with your assessment of long/medium haul flights.....but then TRD-AMS is really not worth it in my case (being gold...).
Old May 26, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
was moved for free upon boarding from row 4 to 1C in an E190 together with another passenger who ended up in 1A . My guess is they had 3 biz passengers who they had to give the 1 and 2DF and 2 AC seats. Implying 2 seats left which they used for overselling economy and moving people with status forward (am plat).

Sure, if you have no status and 50 Euro for prio and lounge that is a good deal - but then I am FB gold so have this already.....
So what are you now really?
Old May 26, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
24/5 KL1246 CDG-AMS was offered to me for EUR 69. Didn't take it. But a drink refill in Economy Comfort was too much to ask for, the purser rejected that extra bit of service to me, because the short flight time. A first for me, normally crew is gladly refilling my cup on this same route.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
So what are you now really?
I was gold for ages and per 1 jan hit plat.....the argument I wanted to make is that if you have status, you have the fast lanes and lounge access and then intra EU biz only gives you a better meal and drink on the plane.....
Old May 26, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
24/5 KL1246 CDG-AMS was offered to me for EUR 69. Didn't take it. But a drink refill in Economy Comfort was too much to ask for, the purser rejected that extra bit of service to me, because the short flight time. A first for me, normally crew is gladly refilling my cup on this same route.
Had the same on a Helsinki-Ams flight recently when they were doing the coffee round. Maybe they were out of wine (being on the way back), maybe it implied an additional walk to the galley which wasn't convenient. Fair enough, I did not persist.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
ATH-AMS yesterday for €99 euro. Seemed like a decent price compared to other routes I’ve seen here. We did not take as we were able to get row 4 (3 rows of biz this flight) so we really just missed the larger meal and extra service.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPH-AMS €69.-- or 17,300 miles. Six out of 12 seats available.

Johan
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue
AMS - NWI - €149

And when you do upgrade and fly European Business to NWI you can ask for

Q: May I have a red wine?
A: Ehhhhhhh No. Only water, coffee or thea!

Q: May I have a Gin Tonic?

Q: May I have a ginger ale?

Q: May I have an other type of sandwich?
A: Ehhhhhhh No. This is what we have.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
And when you do upgrade and fly European Business to NWI you can ask for
Not even a soda?

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.