The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
€32??!!!

That's a bargain for LIS-AMS!

Were you already in a high fare bucket?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, HHonors Gold
Got €36 for AMS - LUX, but the flight being KLM Cityhopper not worth it - as the catering is the same as in eco. For the return, the price was €160....... well, KLM can always try!
Anyway, the buy-up system is is very good way of giving away as few opups as possible. This particular flight was overbooked in eco, with just 2 seats left in Euro business. So if you wonder why as an elite you don't get as many upgrades as we used to.. this is the answer.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dutchbird
For the return, the price was 160....... well, KLM can always try!
And it no doubt pays to try, because each and every sucker who falls for it provides extra revenue at very little cost to KL.

Johan
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dutchbird
Got 36 for AMS - LUX, but the flight being KLM Cityhopper not worth it - as the catering is the same as in eco. For the return, the price was 160....... well, KLM can always try!
Anyway, the buy-up system is is very good way of giving away as few opups as possible. This particular flight was overbooked in eco, with just 2 seats left in Euro business. So if you wonder why as an elite you don't get as many upgrades as we used to.. this is the answer.
In J on Cityhopper flights you get the box with a cold meal.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
bump - can anyone offer an idea of the SIN-DPS route?

Originally Posted by OLYflyer
Any idea what kind of $//SGD it would take to upgrade at OLCI on the short SIN-DPS leg? I am not originating in or continuing on the way back to AMS (just doing SIN-DPS-SIN). We are already booked in 9A,9B on the 777 and decided not to up-fare and burn a Delta SWU for these short flights - even though I could do it for about $120 each r/t+ SWU, but this thread has peaked my curiosity about what the cost might be.

Might be fun to book J @ OLCI going one of the directions and ride EC on the other to compare. J cabin is showing "O=9" for both of my flights only a few weeks away.

SIN-DPS: J9 C9 D9 I9 Z9 O9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 K9 H9 L9 Q9 T9 E0 N9 R9 G0 X9
DPS-SIN: J9 C9 D9 I9 Z9 O9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 K9 H9 L9 Q9 T9 E0 N9 R9 G0 X9

Apologies if this is covered somewhere in this thread, my searches for "SIN", "DPS", "Singapore", "Bali" came up empty

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:57 am
ixs

Programs: Many
Had an interesting offer on yesterday's YVR-AMS flight: 130 CAD buy-up from booking class K and then 32.500 miles for C. Done at check-in.

This looked to be available regardless of load factor.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:10 am

Programs: DL FO
Your upgrade is regarded as a redemption. The 130CAD is the buy up to the lowest upgradable with miles fare. Then, you paid with your miles as if you booked in Y, B, M or U.
I think it is different than the buy-up at OLCI because it will always be the same price.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:04 am
ixs

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by GuillaumeD
Your upgrade is regarded as a redemption. The 130CAD is the buy up to the lowest upgradable with miles fare. Then, you paid with your miles as if you booked in Y, B, M or U.
I think it is different than the buy-up at OLCI because it will always be the same price.
I know how it's handled and seen by the system.

But the fact that you can buy-up to upgradable class I'd still consider that fitting for this thread.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I got my first buy-up upgrade at OLCI today for tomorrow's IST-AMS flight @ US$138. The interesting thing is that I know its a 737 operated flight, but yet when I click on the offer to upgrade , it says its a WBC seat with the following offerings :
Upgrade to World Business Class

• 190 cm (75 inch) sleeper seat
• Recline: 175 cm (69 inch) + massage option
• 3-course menu
• Personal interactive entertainment system
• Laptop connection, audio books, language courses
• Privacy canopy
• Free newspapers and toiletries bag
• Souvenir Delft blue miniature house
Now I didn't know that KL has installed WBC on some of their 737s! Is it only to their IST or Middle Eastern flights? How are they gonna squeeze in a 75 inch sleeper seat on a 737?

Why does the OLCI do this?

I took the offer BTW.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 27, 2012 at 5:51 am
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I took the offer BTW.
Keep a screenshot, and claim a 100% refund after the flight on the basis that you have been misled about what to expect.

Johan
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Keep a screenshot, and claim a 100% refund after the flight on the basis that you have been misled about what to expect.

Johan
Thanks. I did. But how are they going to see that its their computer error and not my doing .. I didn't do a screenshot on the check-in process where you click on the explanation of an upgrade on the "i" and it says "Upgrade to WBC".

Oh wait, hang on... the Print Boarding Pass page did say :

Documents to print:

Boarding pass
GUY BETSY
Include receipt: upgrade to World Business Class
Include: trip summary
GUY BETSY
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:06 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
But they CAN provide you with a WBC experience:

Upgrade to World Business Class

190 cm (75 inch) sleeper seat
--> they'll let you lie on the floor (in the aisle) after take off and before landing
Recline: 175 cm (69 inch) + massage option
--> they'll occasionally step you as they pass by and this counts as the massage
3-course menu
--> you get 3 sandwiches instead of 1
Personal interactive entertainment system
--> look out the window; you can interact with it by closing/opening the shade
Laptop connection, audio books, language courses
--> you can plug in your laptop, where you have your own audio books, language courses
Privacy canopy
--> they'll toss a blanked on top of you
Free newspapers and toiletries bag
--> you make your own toiletries bag out of the free newspapers (or just use the barf bag... after all it doesn't mention that the bag has to actually contain something)
Souvenir Delft blue miniature house
--> that could be arranged
Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well so much for the WBC experience... They even ran out of pillows cos some woman decided to make a bed for herself and her child in 3A with all available pillows from the overhead lockers. I didn't get the Delft miniature house either!

Now who do I address this to...? Customer Service or Tikceting Hall at AMS?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by florin
But they CAN provide you with a WBC experience:

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
They even ran out of pillows cos some woman decided to make a bed for herself and her child in 3A with all available pillows from the overhead lockers.
Amazing! Surely the cabin crew could and should have intervened?

Write to Customer Care, with a printout of the Print Boarding Pass page.

Johan
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
You do get business class mileage on KLM if you have a PAID upgrade.
Well, here's another downer on my "WBC" experience... I still got my measly 25% of miles for the IST-AMS sector (originally booked in "N" class) when I had bought and paid for the upgrade !

Time to cash in on all my miles and say sayonara to this programme.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.