Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
AMS-DXB at OLCI: GBP752 from cheap economy to business. Declined
Old May 23, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
Ams-cdg-jbo upgrade in lounge cdg € 525 16 may
Update: the upgrade gave me miles based on spend but no XPs
You pro-actively asked how much it'd cost to upgrade and they gave you this price?
Old May 23, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
EDI-AMS, KLC flight offered at 69 EUR. Last I looked, no takers.
EDI-AMS, Carpatair op flight day later, no offer. Flight has 5 Y seats free at T-24 on the seatmap, can't see J except that there's two rows of it apparently (vs. 1 row on E-Jet)
Old May 23, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
I am quite sure that KLM would have profited on giving XP to upgraded tickets. Today you only get the miles on upgrades, and with new FB that's a poor deal anyhow.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt
You pro-actively asked how much it'd cost to upgrade and they gave you this price?
yes, in the lounge in CDG. Proces was way quicker then in Crown Lounge (I almost never fly AF).

I got 4232 Miles for it to as Upgrade Economy to Business. The original ticket was a "werelddeal week" discounted ticket.

It was €529 and not €525

And I got the newer Business class product on 773er

(I was already upgraded for free to AF premium economy when I checked in in Amsterdam)
Old May 24, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
AMS-DXB at OLCI: GBP752 from cheap economy to business. Declined
Checked at the kiosk at AMS, with one of the ground staff looking on:
Me: 856 euros, wow
Staff (deadpan): Yes, that’s for a private jet.
Got to love that Dutch humour
Old May 25, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
EDI-AMS, KLC flight offered at 69 EUR. Last I looked, no takers.
EDI-AMS, Carpatair op flight day later, no offer. Flight has 5 Y seats free at T-24 on the seatmap, can't see J except that there's two rows of it apparently (vs. 1 row on E-Jet)
Flight went out full in Y with about 3-4 free seats in J.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
@ #2094 + #2097 :

I have to admit that I was not aware that the OLCI upgrade does not mean a change to the contract of carriage.

However, the issue has been settled. I got a call from KLM a few days ago. In addition to the refund of the OLCI upgrade fare, a certain amount of miles was added to my FlyingBlue Account, as KLM agreed it was not acceptable that I was left without answer for several hours after my request for rebooking from TK on 30/04 to KLM on 29/04.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
AMS-VIE (KL1839): 79 Euro. Strangely, after take-off, one platinum passenger* moved from the aisle seat in row 4 to an aisle seat in row 3, after paying 79 Euro by credit card. I hope the yoghurt and cold cuts were worth it!

* he asked the purser for a discount on the upgrade fare, and flashed his new platinum card. the purser didn't budge, so the guy took out his AmEx...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:21 am

Ams Nwi 30/5 €49
Nwi Ams 1/6 €49

one the 30/5 I was moved back from 3a as they required more seats as an earlier flight was cancelled or something else. There was a pretty drunken English Rockband in front who started singing ‘bar/drink’ songs when they could not get any alcoholics. But they where funny and polite and added some in flight entertainment for the rest of the flight.

interesting I have travelled to NWI for 20 years and this was the first time I actually saw customs and they checked everything especially looking for siggarettes and alcohol.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
interesting I have travelled to NWI for 20 years and this was the first time I actually saw customs and they checked everything especially looking for siggarettes and alcohol.
Somebody must have told them there was an English rock band on board.

Until KLC dropped the route, I used to commute to AMS from MMX. Very occasionaly there would be a passport check at the gate upon arrival at MMX. It took a long time for the coin to drop, but I finally worked out that I could predict these rare gate checks with almost 100% accuracy simply by looking around the cabin. A single non-Caucasian was all it took.

Johan
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
AMS-GIG (V class), 05/06, €529 for J.
Took it.

Last edited by newflyer27; Jun 4, 2018 at 7:20 am
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPH-AMS not offered, for the first time in ages. 0/8 available. Flight nevertheless went out with two empty seats. I got an onboard upgrade (plus a 1˝ hour delay because they screwed up when loading the hold luggage).

Johan
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLBGO
I am quite sure that KLM would have profited on giving XP to upgraded tickets. Today you only get the miles on upgrades, and with new FB that's a poor deal anyhow.
But they didn't give upgraded level miles previously when you got the upgrade "offer". You still only received the level miles accruing to the underlying ticket.

The "offer" excludes extra baggage allowance and extra XPs - if you want these, you can upgrade your ticket using the "normal" means.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Meneer Guggenheimer's experience actually doesn't confirm your doubt. He/she was upgraded, but noted a DL Gold was upgraded too. DL Gold is technically below KL/AF/DL Platinum.

Say what you want, but sometimes a random flight that's empty in terms of elite Medallions in the back (maybe most are already sitting up front for whatever reason) goes out AMS-SEA, and then you have another DL domestic hub-to-hub flight (e.g. LAX to ATL) where more than half the plane is Diamonds at certain time.

Point is, if you don't know who was Medallion, you can't say that DL picks KL elites prior to their own for op ups. It just simply isn't true. The system prioritizes DL elites, but at the end of the day the GA can do what they want. If a flight is Medallion lite, people get lucky...I flew CDG-NRT on AirFrance and was upgraded back when I was a DL silver. Lucky.
I once got upgraded on a KIN-ATL as a common man FB Silver. I couldnt believe it....must have been a tonne of very infrequent DL fliers on that particular flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.