The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by florin
These are not special meals; they "are a la carte" meals. Are you talking about op-ups or paid UGs?
Sorry -- I said "Premium Meals" in the title but didn't repeat that.

As far as op-ups or paid UGs -- I'm talking either. I'm not worried about a refund on the meal if lightning strikes -- just don't want to be removed from the possible list because I bought an "a la carte" meal.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I have been told that on some airlines, if you have ordered a special meal in coach, you won't be considered for any kind of upgrade (Paid or OpUp). This makes sense if you have special dietary requirements.

Does anybody know if this applies to the special meals (Italian, Indonesian, Dutch, etc.) you can now order? I wouldn't mind trying one on my upcoming YVR-AMS (and back) legs, but not if it zeros out my (admittedly already small) chances of an upgrade.
Would they not just bring it to you in your new seat? Doesn't seem like a big deal, although I can also see why this might raise a question about the possibility of causing problems.

On the flip side, perhaps they might be more likely to offer the upgrade since you seem to be willing to pay for extras on the flight?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: FB
Just got the offer to upgrade to WBC on my AMS - BUD flight for €119 per person. A bit too steep for me personally... especially seeing that I doubt that my flight will be equipped with WBC.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Just did OLCI for my IAD-AMS flight tomororow evening. They asked $1978 (!) to upgrade to C. Definitely not worth it.

Looks like the flight is around 70% full based on the seat map, so I'll just hope to get a seat in the way back with an empty seat next to me.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
So it is offered es-US. Only not that cheap!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:34 am

I'm flying TLL-AMS-IAD tomorrow and was hoping to buy an upgrade for the AMS-IAD leg, but I can't even check in online. The TLL-AMS leg is KL3003 which is a code-share operated by OV (Estonian Air).

When I go to OLCI, I get this message: "It is not possible to check in online for this flight. Please use a self-service check-in machine or go to the check-in counter at the airport."

So am I basically out of luck because the first leg of my flight is not operated by KL? I also tried "Manage My Booking" on the site, but there's no option to choose seats on there.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by jfidler
I'm flying TLL-AMS-IAD tomorrow and was hoping to buy an upgrade for the AMS-IAD leg, but I can't even check in online. The TLL-AMS leg is KL3003 which is a code-share operated by OV (Estonian Air).

When I go to OLCI, I get this message: "It is not possible to check in online for this flight. Please use a self-service check-in machine or go to the check-in counter at the airport."

So am I basically out of luck because the first leg of my flight is not operated by KL? I also tried "Manage My Booking" on the site, but there's no option to choose seats on there.
You could always try 'reprinting' your BP at one of the transit station robots in AMS - that may give you the option to buy an upgrade.

-- Henry
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Henry III
You could always try 'reprinting' your BP at one of the transit station robots in AMS - that may give you the option to buy an upgrade.

-- Henry
Or just do a seat change -- that is what the agent in AMS told me to do in a similar situation.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Henry III
I ended up doing this when arriving in AMS from TLL. I went to the self-service transfer and was given the option to upgrade to Eco+ (or whatever it's called) but I didn't take it. I think it was around $100. No option to upgrade to C. The nice thing is I could change my seats around and get a new BP. So about an hour before departure, I moved around to a seat far in the back with two empty seats next to me. The flight went by well with the extra room.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Half a dozen colleagues checked in for AMS-MNL today. They were offered:

4 WBC seats at € 304
17 Economy Comfort seats at € 110
5 emergency exit row seats at € 70.

No takers!

Flight presumably heavily overbooked in Y, there were hardly any free Y seats even when checking in as sec.nr. 100 or so

Johan
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Do let us know how many were op-upped at the gate!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Half a dozen colleagues checked in for AMS-MNL today. They were offered:

4 WBC seats at € 304
17 Economy Comfort seats at € 110
5 emergency exit row seats at € 70.

No takers!

Flight presumably heavily overbooked in Y, there were hardly any free Y seats even when checking in as sec.nr. 100 or so

Johan
Considering the length of the flight I would be more than willing to pay E304 for an upgrade to WBC.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
Considering the length of the flight I would be more than willing to pay E304 for an upgrade to WBC.
I agree, but Filipino seafarers who are expected to bring every single hard-earned cent home would not.

Johan
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Do let us know how many were op-upped at the gate!
I'm afraid I can't tell you, as I was on a different flight today, and those now en route to MNL are not sophisticated enough flyers to have noticed or even cared.

Johan
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: FB, SPG, AccorHotels, Hertz, Avis
I Got offered an upgrade on AMS ->BRE for 79 EUR today. Obviously a waste of money. I was flying BRE AMS NCL AMS BRE but the upgrade was only offered for the one return leg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.