The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:56 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gajan
My impression was that if you took a paid upgrade during OLCI you earn miles according to the new booking class (long haul usually 125%, intra-EU 250%).

You could always wait a few days and see what happens.
I once bought an upgrade on AMS-TLV (back when they used the 777) and I did indeed get business class mileage rather than the 25% I would have otherwise gotten.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rwSEA
I once bought an upgrade on AMS-TLV (back when they used the 777) and I did indeed get business class mileage rather than the 25% I would have otherwise gotten.
What was the charge?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Well, so far, I've only been given the miles for the original booking class (25%)! I just sent in the online claim form, but that will probably fail, as the machine will say, "You have already received your miles for this flight!"

If that happens, I'll try a nice little email to the folks at FB. After all, we're talking about over 10,000 miles here, if you take in the platinum bonus!

-- Henry
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
I'm guessing it wont work from the US..does anyone know if there are check in kiosks at MIA/ATL/JFK for KLM? Also if you can do OLCI from any of these 3 cities on KLM.com??
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by FreqTrav27
I'm guessing it wont work from the US..does anyone know if there are check in kiosks at MIA/ATL/JFK for KLM? Also if you can do OLCI from any of these 3 cities on KLM.com??
You can do OLCI but have to visit the desks for immigration/emigration purposes.

Last edited by KLflyerRalph; Jan 18, 2012 at 8:47 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
You can do OLCI but have to visit the desks for immigration/emigration purposes.
IIRC, don't they send you to DL.com to check in?

GenevaFlyer
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:39 pm

Flying MIA to AMS in a few weeks..luckily I got a seat in Economy Comfort as a Plat Medallion...keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade to business (but not holding my breath)

Can I use the lounge in AMS? I do not have a connecting flight..just flying the MIA to AMS portion in coach.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:29 am

Yes you can. Keep your BP.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: M&M, FB, Exec Club, SPG
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
IIRC, don't they send you to DL.com to check in?

GenevaFlyer
I've just been checking out the same thing as my wife is flying JFK-AMS on Sunday and for the sake of her happiness I'm trying to understand whether OLCI buy-ups are offered ex-US.

The KL website says:
From the United States
If you travel from the United States, and you want to check in online via KLM.com, you will be forwarded to the Delta Air Lines website. This means it is not possible to arrange extra baggage via KLM.com.

However, if you depart from Chicago, Miami, San Francisco or Washington DC, you can check in via KLM.com and arrange extra baggage if you want
It's not clear to me why those four airports are "different", but in any case I assume that DL.com is unlikely to propose KL buy-ups :-( . So for a JFK-AMS I assume the only (remote) chance of a "reasonably" priced buy-up is therefore via the self-service machine at the airport?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by Bluestar
...It's not clear to me why those four airports are "different", but in any case I assume that DL.com is unlikely to propose KL buy-ups :-( . So for a JFK-AMS I assume the only (remote) chance of a "reasonably" priced buy-up is therefore via the self-service machine at the airport?
Except that the lovely self-service machine is likely to be a DL machine ...

GenevaFlyer
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: KL Platinum
289 to Delhi from Amsterdam some time ago.

I had tried 48 hours before departure to upgrade with miles but was told WBC was sold out; then during online check-in 29 hours before departure there were at least half a dozen biz seats available.

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Wondering, does anyone of you has got this offer when travelling with a partner linked (done at OLCI or PNR) to your reservation?
Yes, although both my wife and I are Elite Plus. Don't know if that makes a difference. .

Last edited by Gajan; Feb 2, 2012 at 1:18 am Reason: merge posts
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:40 pm

Actually at Miami airport they have self service kioks at the AF/KLM check in and not part of Delta.

As an Elite Plus, I am allowed 2 pieces of luggage while flying in coach on AF/KLM/AZ? And the weight cannot exceed 50 pounds?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:18 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by FreqTrav27
Actually at Miami airport they have self service kioks at the AF/KLM check in and not part of Delta.

As an Elite Plus, I am allowed 2 pieces of luggage while flying in coach on AF/KLM/AZ? And the weight cannot exceed 50 pounds?
As an elite plus member you are allowed one piece extra of the cabin baggage allowance.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Upgrades and Premium Meals

I have been told that on some airlines, if you have ordered a special meal in coach, you won't be considered for any kind of upgrade (Paid or OpUp). This makes sense if you have special dietary requirements.

Does anybody know if this applies to the special meals (Italian, Indonesian, Dutch, etc.) you can now order? I wouldn't mind trying one on my upcoming YVR-AMS (and back) legs, but not if it zeros out my (admittedly already small) chances of an upgrade.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:48 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Does anybody know if this applies to the special meals (Italian, Indonesian, Dutch, etc.) you can now order? I wouldn't mind trying one on my upcoming YVR-AMS (and back) legs, but not if it zeros out my (admittedly already small) chances of an upgrade.
These are not special meals; they "are a la carte" meals. Are you talking about op-ups or paid UGs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.