The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Gold; HHonors Silver
I am flying AMS - SCL tonight on KL 701. At OLCI the cost of an upgrade to business class was ~ GBP 780. When I reached the Crowne Lounge earlier I asked about an upgrade and was quoted 40,000 miles. As I have plenty of miles and this is a long flight, I took it. I do wonder however, what is the rule of thumb for conversion of Flying Blue miles to cash?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I don't know to be honest. This past Saturday GRU-AMS no upgrade was offered during OLCI even though there were 4 seats in J and C classes. At airport checkin I asked and was quoted 74000 miles or 40000 + 300 EUR in cash.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ardecos
I am flying AMS - SCL tonight on KL 701. At OLCI the cost of an upgrade to business class was ~ GBP 780. When I reached the Crowne Lounge earlier I asked about an upgrade and was quoted 40,000 miles. As I have plenty of miles and this is a long flight, I took it. I do wonder however, what is the rule of thumb for conversion of Flying Blue miles to cash?
There isn't one, mileage upgrades are fixed, and based on the fare you are booked in, OLCI upgrades pricing can be anything, depends on the load.
For example AMS-CPT varies between ~350 when Y is overbooked, to 850 when it is lightly loaded.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I often fly out of JRO or DAR and depending on my client, I fly coach or business. If in Y I always ask for upgrade and it normally U$789 or 30.000 and €300 (yes euro... strange) when the flight is not full.

It is $289 when full or overbooked.

I have the number of the manager in TZ and always text him the day I fly so I am first in line if they have room.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:27 am

A question for other frequent flyers.

I have 8 award tickets booked (all under platinum label) to SXM and we are in EC. What are the chances we are (partly) upgraded to WBC? Or are we all low on the priority as it are award tickets?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
A question for other frequent flyers.

I have 8 award tickets booked (all under platinum label) to SXM and we are in EC. What are the chances we are (partly) upgraded to WBC? Or are we all low on the priority as it are award tickets?
I got upgraded more than once on an award ticket (flying on my own, or +1), but the chances of having 8 available seats in C (out of 18), and Y being so overbooked I think are slim to none.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
I got upgraded more than once on an award ticket (flying on my own, or +1), but the chances of having 8 available seats in C (out of 18), and Y being so overbooked I think are slim to none.
I thought so but perhaps they upgrade one of us. We will see. Most important was the fact that I could actually book award tickets in a school holiday for once!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:58 pm

The unbelievable just happened

I was upgraded at the gate on TLV-AMS, fare class L. I have been gold for a year.
Economy was overbooked and business had 4 seats open. My partner (no status) and I were upgraded at the gate, while online offer was 149 euros.
A friend with no status on the same flight got a lower offer than me, 113 usd and did not take it.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by veryexcite
I was upgraded at the gate on TLV-AMS, fare class L. I have been gold for a year.
Economy was overbooked and business had 4 seats open. My partner (no status) and I were upgraded at the gate, while online offer was 149 euros.
A friend with no status on the same flight got a lower offer than me, 113 usd and did not take it.
The only thing unbelievable here is that the OLCI upgrade offer was 149 and not <100, but sometimes they change it some time later to a cheaper price.
The 149 vs 113, could be due to that, or due to him paying for EC/Exit row seat, although I doubt those go for 50 for a short flight.

FWIW, I got upgraded from award tickets on this route in the past, once as a gold and once as plat.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:57 am

AMS-BHX Saturday evening: 69. Flight overbooked, got op-up (Gold + my Ivory travel companion).
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The usual € 129.-- CPH-AMS. 8/12 available.

12/18 EC + 6 EER taken as well. Economy is wide open, so the flight must suddenly be jampacked with elites, or pax willing to pay a Euro or so for every extra centimeter of pitch.

Edited to add that one other pax and I got a courtesy OpUp after the doors closed. Maybe because flight was delayed and we were parked at a remote stand waiting for an ATC slot. We arrived 46 minutes late. These days a few drops of rain is all it takes for things to go completely haywire at AMS. Good thing that the Harveys of this world don't visit this side of the Atlantic. All of Holland would probably drown, AMS included.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Aug 30, 2017 at 12:00 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:54 am

AMS-PRG, 119, someone really ought to tell KL that there is no middle seat
Attached Images  
Old Sep 10, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This one is interesting

Just went to check my seat assignment for an upcoming flight and got this:

04A Economy Comfort (payment in progress)

They have moved me from an EC aisle seat to an EC window seat, neither of which I have to pay for, and I can no longer change my seat.

I'll wait till OLCI and then give them a call if they are still processing this mystery payment.

Johan
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Just went to check my seat assignment for an upcoming flight and got this:

04A Economy Comfort (payment in progress)

They have moved me from an EC aisle seat to an EC window seat, neither of which I have to pay for, and I can no longer change my seat.

I'll wait till OLCI and then give them a call if they are still processing this mystery payment.

Johan
Can't explain the change of seat but regarding the payment in progress, it's something I see regularly after I've selected EC seats. It goes away after a bit and let you change your seat if you want to.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mirk
Can't explain the change of seat but regarding the payment in progress, it's something I see regularly after I've selected EC seats. It goes away after a bit and let you change your seat if you want to.
Funny thing is, I was automatically preassigned a seat in EC, and KL then took it upon themselves to move me from an aisle to a window seat. They sometimes do that when they increase the number of EC rows, invariably moving me to the A seat in the first EC row. So they were "processing payment" for a free seat that I never selected in the first place!

You are right though, it did go away. This morning the app still told me that "seat selection is not possible for this flight", but the website just allowed me to pick another seat.

Johan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.