Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
I was on CPH-CDG recently and they had about 15 rows of their SAS Plus seating, with only two people sat there. The rest of the plane was pretty full.
On this particular flight, which I've taken more times than I can count, the load in EB is usually very light. The only exception is on cruise ship turnaround days in summer, when one can expect up to three couples of the semi-fossilized variety EB.

I'm really curious to see the EB load on an upcoming flight, where they have allocated the maximum of six rows, thus not offering any EC seats at all. KL therefore kindly assigned me a middle seat in regular Y, instead of one of 12 available EER seats. A LTPE benefit, no doubt.

24 EB pax on a midday Saturday departure to AMS, now that would be a new record.

Johan
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
will choosing and paying for preferred/comfort seats before OLCI affect op-ups/buy-up offers when it comes to OLCI?

have a PEK-AMS flight tomorrow (but seat selection already closed) and then AMS-PEK return next week, both in economy. wondering if i should pay for a comfort seat as a backup in case the buy-up offer is bad.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:25 am

AMS-JFK KL641 economy award - Eu849
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by natcin
will choosing and paying for preferred/comfort seats before OLCI affect op-ups/buy-up offers when it comes to OLCI?

have a PEK-AMS flight tomorrow (but seat selection already closed) and then AMS-PEK return next week, both in economy. wondering if i should pay for a comfort seat as a backup in case the buy-up offer is bad.
Never experienced it myself, but I think I remember reading a few times in the 100+ pages of this topic that already paid economy comfort supplements were (automatically?) deducted from the upgrade offer price. If you have the time, it could therefore be worth searching a bit within this topic.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by KL895
Never experienced it myself, but I think I remember reading a few times in the 100+ pages of this topic that already paid economy comfort supplements were (automatically?) deducted from the upgrade offer price. If you have the time, it could therefore be worth searching a bit within this topic.
Thats correct, I had it once, I paid €70 for an exit row seat, and got an upgrade offer at online checkin. The paid amount was deducted automatically.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by KL895
Yes this is correct. For a flight a few weeks ago had already paid for Economy Comfort and was offered $ upgrade to J and took it at the kiosk. Later confirmed with agent in Crown Lounge that price for J upgrade already had deducted Econ. Comfort amount.

I suppose this makes it operationally easier for them as there is no need for refunds. I'm always wondering does paying for Econ. Comfort increase op-up opportunities? Or is it really totally random?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
thanks all, sorry will do a search next time.

just checked in for PEK-AMS, and no buy-up offer at OLCI, and all the comfort aisles were taken. guess i'll stick to standard then. unless offered something at check-in counter.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by majik
I'm always wondering does paying for Econ. Comfort increase op-up opportunities? Or is it really totally random?
A few months ago I was upgraded at the gate, as were several other pax, including a colleague with no FB status. The only reason we could think of for the upgrade was that he had been desperate enough to pay for an EER seat upon discovering that his only other OLCI choice was a middle seat at the very back.

Johan
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
... he had been desperate enough to pay for an EER seat upon discovering that his only other OLCI choice was a middle seat at the very back.

Johan
This may become more common? On my flight yesterday all seats were shown taken, so no change possible, but the plane was only 80% full.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Originally Posted by Mol
SFO-AMS 834 euro at check-in, didn't take it. When verifying my economy comfort seating a few hours before departure, was offered again but now for 314 euro and took it. There were only 3 business seats left.

Never seen this before, with a second offer at a lower price, but I was surely happy with it!
This seems to be happening more often recently. WBC JNB-AMS at first offered at 849, not interesting. Then three hours before departure the offer dropped to EUR339. I did take that.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troje
This seems to be happening more often recently. WBC JNB-AMS at first offered at 849, not interesting.
Upgrade both ways for that amount and it comes to € 1,698.--

With a bit of planning and luck you can buy a J ticket for not much more, occasionally less.

Johan
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Upgrade both ways for that amount and it comes to € 1,698.--

With a bit of planning and luck you can buy a J ticket for not much more, occasionally less.

Johan
How many miles do you get with this kind of upgrade? what if the upgrade was complimentary?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by veryexcite
How many miles do you get with this kind of upgrade? what if the upgrade was complimentary?
In both cases you get the same amount of miles as your original fare.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 3:07 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Ditto
In both cases you get the same amount of miles as your original fare.
What if you're crediting to a different program? How does the fare class show up to (eg) Delta?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
What if you're crediting to a different program? How does the fare class show up to (eg) Delta?
It will most likely show you in a class that does not earn on Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.