Delayed Bag from AMS...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:06 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Question Delayed Bag from AMS...

So my bag didn't make it!

When checking in at CDG I the checkin agent didn't put a priority tag on the bag and I queried this with him. I was told that this was a priority area (go figure) so I chose not to make a fuss as the bag was already on its way down the conveyor belt :-(

Anyway, flight was delayed, but made the connection to HEL which also was delayed.

Loads of connecting PAX eventually came on the plane well after scheduled take off, so KL knew what they were doing (well sort off).

At HEL no bag so it was reported with the handlers and we got a copy of the report. Was told that the bag would arrive in a day or two, BUT we were also told that there was a backlog of around 3,000 bags going from AMS to HEL alone! We were also told that the bag would be delivered at our final destination which is much further North. There were loads of bags tagged with PRIORITY btw!!!!!

So, what now?

Here's -30 Deg C and all out winter clothes are in the bag along with presents and other stuff. It's so bl**dy freezing outside that you have to mix petrol in the diesel and I have nothing propper to wear.

I was told that we could spend up to EUR 100 per person for the first 24 hours which won't get us very far with Finnish extortion prices.

Anyway, just want to know what happens with regards to compensation after the initial 24 hours as KLM doesn't give any info on the matter (surprise) on their website and what I should do as I partly blame the incompetent and arogant check-in agent at the Premium check-in desk at CDG 2F!

ADDITION: Checked the online status and nothing new. Bag NOT located but could be that the system is not always updated!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A colleague arrived in AMS two days ago, by train instead of plane from FRA. So far, nobody has been able to tell his where his bag is, could be, or might be.

Johan
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Cher Cupart - I'm sorry to hear of your luggage woes, as I know how much these things can spoil the seasonal festivities. But: don't despair! As your post suggests that (a) you are in Finland and (b) that you are heading 'much further north', then I suggest that you take a detour to Rovaniemi, where you can (almost always) retrieve your lost property from the very friendly, rather chubby bag-handler with the red coat and big white beard!

-- Henry
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My colleague received an e-mail from Avia Partners, who informed them that the bag might or might not be at AMS, they had no way of knowing, but that they were certainly not going to search for it. He was welcome to come and do so himself, though.

Johan
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:33 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks for the tip Henry III (I was counting on you to come to my rescue)... Anyway, will see what the man in red says.

Alos, thanks for the update Johan. The lost-bag web site still shows the status as, erh, nothing! I seriously doubht that the bag will ever make it to Finland this time so will ask them to return it back to Paris. For some reason AMS airport can't cope with irregularities very well. I guess they knew the airport was "closing* down or at least operating on a lower scale which would have left employees with time on their hand to get organized...

I'm also going to write a letter with some well chosen words as I do believe there would have been a "better" chance of the bag arriving on time had it not been for the moron check in agent at CDG!

Thanks again for your posts
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:59 am
ixs

Programs: Many
It would be to late to pick it up but there's a list of the luggage currently in AMS. Youcan find it at http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prep...LM201002007200 and search with CTRL-F for your tag id.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 1:38 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks ixs for the info.

UPDATE: I checked the PIR trace page on KLM and it seems like my bag is now apparently "At Airport". Only thing is we don't know if it's at HEL or OUL... Trying to call the local baggage handlers (good luck I say being 25th of Dec and all) and get a message saying: All agents are busy at the moment. Please call back later"... I will!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 2:01 am

Programs: DL SM Diamond, AA Ex. Platinum, Ph.D in STFU
Originally Posted by Cupart
Thanks ixs for the info.

UPDATE: I checked the PIR trace page on KLM and it seems like my bag is now apparently "At Airport". Only thing is we don't know if it's at HEL or OUL... Trying to call the local baggage handlers (good luck I say being 25th of Dec and all) and get a message saying: All agents are busy at the moment. Please call back later"... I will!
In all likelihood its at CDG, not HEL or OUL. Based on your story, the chances that the bag was even loaded on your CDG-AMS flight are slim to none. CDG has over 50000 bags sitting there, and the baggage handlers have been striking, but no one at AF or CDG want to admit that.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At AMS they currently have 700 bags "left over", whose owners cannot be identified.

Johan
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tale of woe

Johan
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by johan rebel
At AMS they currently have 700 bags "left over", whose owners cannot be identified.

Johan
Yep, what I hear these are bags without bag tags, although not only of KLM and partners but off all the airlines who operate from Schiphol.
Probably stuck in snow/rain and torn off in the process?
Or not stuck very well by the check-in agent.
So some word of advise: make sure your address is on (or in) your bag.
I know some horror stories of robbers noting addresses of families departing for holidays and then cleaning out their houses during absence.
That stops many people from attaching their address, although you can also reverse the address or indeed put it on the inside of your bag.
At least it increases your chances of being reunited should the airline tag be torn off.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetfan
make sure your address is on (or in) your bag.
I'd recommend just listing your frequent flyer program membership number(s). That should be sufficient for the airlines to trace you, and make it just a little more difficult for crooks and criminals to do the same.

Johan
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I'd recommend just listing your frequent flyer program membership number(s). That should be sufficient for the airlines to trace you, and make it just a little more difficult for crooks and criminals to do the same.

Johan
Indeed!
Mine has frequent flier number as well as my mobile phone number so hopefully not easily traceable for thieves!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: DL FO
I went to Thailand for my Christmas vacations and my bag was delivered 3 days late. So, I had unforseen expenses. I thought I could claim this money back but I did not find on KLM website where I have to send the bills.
Am I totally wrong or they deleted this info from their website?

Cheers and happy new year!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:46 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by GuillaumeD
I went to Thailand for my Christmas vacations and my bag was delivered 3 days late. So, I had unforseen expenses. I thought I could claim this money back but I did not find on KLM website where I have to send the bills.
Am I totally wrong or they deleted this info from their website?

Cheers and happy new year!
When I had this a few months ago, I was told that I should claim the expenses at the KLM office in the country where I live and departed from. In your case that would be in France? If so, I would give AF a call, assuming they deal with all such issues related to KLM, and ask them how to submit your claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.