Does CPAP count as a carry-on item on KLM?

Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Does CPAP count as a carry-on item on KLM?

On most US carriers, a CPAP machine (a "medical assistive device") can be carried on in addition to the allowed carry-ons. Does anyone know KLM's policy on this? I'm traveling IAD-AMS-EBB (Delta booking, KLM metal).

Thanks!

mglvrug
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
As this seems to be a highly dependent medical question, I'd contact KLM and specifically ask them instead of purely base other FT's (often) assumptions unless someone is (or has been) in the exact same situation as you before. Even then I'd be checking with KLM to be honest.

Sorry that I didn't have an answer to your query.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
I remember reading somewhere else that someone had no problem flying with a CPAP on KL flights.

I would however advise you to check with them before departure.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:53 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Smile

Originally Posted by mglvrug
On most US carriers, a CPAP machine (a "medical assistive device") can be carried on in addition to the allowed carry-ons. Does anyone know KLM's policy on this? I'm traveling IAD-AMS-EBB (Delta booking, KLM metal).

Thanks!

mglvrug

As others have said, check with KLM.

And get a written note from your doctor explaining that the device is needed. This can be very helpful when going through security and also if you intend to use the CPAP on board the airplane.

I was looking into self-contained power options recently and found this guy who looks pretty good

http://www.cpaptravelbatterypack.com/index.html

They also have some batteries available at CPAP.com

You may have power at your seat or not - but if you have a battery unit like this you'll know you are in good shape to run your CPAP (without humidifier) for quite a few hours.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

I wasn't clear about what I was asking. I know I can get my CPAP through security (I fly with it about 150K/year). I do not have to use it on board--I can make do without it for a night. But it is a very fragile piece of equipment and I cannot check it. Therefore, I was trying to find out if the CPAP will be counted as one of the two permitted carryons (which would require me to put my computer bag inside my rollerboard) or whether it is allowed as an extra carryon (permitting me to take the rollerboard, computer bag AND the CPAP), as is true within the US.

I appreciate the advice to ask KLM directly. I'll send them an email.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:52 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
for what it's worth, I did a google "klm cpap" and the following thread came up as one search result

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3...third-bag.html

jnk wrote:So, is a so-called letter of medical necessity still needed, or no?

I haven't needed a letter on any flights in the US or between the US and Europe, but they did ask for it when I flew out of Turkey on KLM airlines. They even took a photocopy for their records.

Last edited by wbl-mn-flyer; Aug 10, 2010 at 3:42 pm
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, wbl-mn-flyer. I'll get a letter from my pulmonologist.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Just to close the loop. I had no problem with my CPAP on KLM outbound, either in the US or in AMS. I did get a note from my pulmonologist just in case, but no one even looked twice at the extra bag.

Thanks to you all.

mglvrug
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:14 am

Question

I have a long-haul flight coming up (Delta) - anyone had luck getting power available at your seat?

I have heard you can request this ahead of time, and that sometimes those requests will be honored.

I called the Delta Gold Line today and the put the request in my reservation but did not think that I would get power.

I will see about ordering one of those battery packs now...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:07 am

Wink

Does they have 24/7 agents to accommodate the reservation?

Medical CPAP
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:10 pm

Just to say that I have emailed KLM twice, with a delay of 2 months inbetween, because they make it clear on their form that they don't like 'reminders' and I STILL am awaiting a reply to see if I can take a CPAP machine onboard on a long haul flight and use it with battery power.

Disappointed with their customer service ... googling 'KLM cpap' brought me here!
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:20 pm

If I were you, I'd go with the following

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pre...m_cares.htm#p3

Medical Information Forms

If one of the descriptions below applies to you, please consult your physician prior to travel. In some cases, your travel agent or KLM reservations agent must complete Medical Information Form A(PDF, 305KB) and your doctor must complete and sign Medical Information Form B(PDF, 944KB). These should be in the possession of KLM no later than 48 hours before departure.

Passengers suffering from a contagious disease.

Passengers who, due to illness or a physical condition, display behavior that could potentially influence the comfort and well-being of the other passengers and/or the crew, or that could present a risk to the safety or punctuality of the flight.

Passengers who will need medical care or will be dependent on specific medical equipment during the flight.

By the way, I am a satisfied owner of this CPAP battery - http://cpapcharge.com/ - used it on a 15+ hrs flight between LAX-MEL and back
MareLuce likes this.

Last edited by wbl-mn-flyer; Mar 19, 2011 at 5:31 pm
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:05 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
FYI, the KLM form has moved to this page.

ETA: and is linked from this page.

Last edited by deirdre; Nov 30, 2011 at 5:23 am
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Alsacienne
Just to say that I have emailed KLM twice, with a delay of 2 months inbetween, because they make it clear on their form that they don't like 'reminders' and I STILL am awaiting a reply to see if I can take a CPAP machine onboard on a long haul flight and use it with battery power.

Disappointed with their customer service ... googling 'KLM cpap' brought me here!
They are not very responsive from their website. The best way is either to give a call or contact them through social media like facebook or twitter if you already have an account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.