No Meals on my Award Flight !!

Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Platinum.
No Meals on my Award Flight !!

I have just booked an award flight from Luxembourg to Manila via Amsterdam.

The outward flights were booked as a Classic award costing 40,000 miles.
The return flights were booked as a Flex award costing 80,000 miles.

Both the confirmation screen and e-mail show the meals as follows:
LUX - AMS - No In-Flight meal
AMS - MNL - No In-Flight meal
MNL - AMS - 1 Dinner
AMS - LUX - 1 Snack

Does this mean that I am expected to endure a 13 hour flight with no food and drinks, or am I allowed to take my own meal with me.

A Tuna Baguette sounds like a good idea, but might be confiscated if the Tuna filling is classed as liquid. Likewise a bottle of duty free wine would be a great idea, but how would I open it, I have already had one Swiss army knife confiscated at the x-ray machine in Schipol.

Has anybody experienced this No-Meal situation?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Mucci des tres pathetiques
Originally Posted by Davee58

MNL - AMS - 1 Dinner
AMS - LUX - 1 Snack

Does this mean that I am expected to endure a 13 hour flight with no food and drinks, or am I allowed to take my own meal with me.

A Tuna Baguette sounds like a good idea, but might be confiscated if the Tuna filling is classed as liquid. Likewise a bottle of duty free wine would be a great idea, but how would I open it, I have already had one Swiss army knife confiscated at the x-ray machine in Schipol.

Even KLM haven't stooped that low yet. It's obviously an online error.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Of course u will get a meal on your ams-mnl.
Don't be silly.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetfan
Don't be silly.
I think KL are the ones being silly here, scaring their loyal FB members like that.

Johan
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I think KL are the ones being silly here, scaring their loyal FB members like that.

Johan
KL and IT (no, not the airline)... Not a match made in heaven.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Long time between posts, Davee58. What kept you away from the party?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Don't worry. You will get your snack on the LUX-AMS leg and a snack/lunch, dinner and breakfast on the AMS-MNL flight.

At the moment, KLM.com has reached a new low. I have flights showing not_confirmed on one page and confirmed on another. Others show 0 price on one page and double the price on the next screen. My favorite is the passengers tab:

Requests Status
ssr.NSSW.label ssrStatus.UC.label

all down the right side.

I had an attendant look at me funny when I stated that klm.com was known for being one of the worst in the industry (problems getting seats booked on long-haul). She said she had never heard that before. I guess she isn't on Flyertalk
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
This could all be because of the booking code that KLM uses for your award flight and that it is not recognised by the system's computer as an 'actual' booking class.

Of course you will be fed. Don't believe in what the computer says... unless its says, "No".
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the re-assurances, but I will will e-mail KLM, just to confirm the facts. The KLM economy class food is hardly inspiring, but the thought of spending 13 hours with no food, and only drinking only water from a cardboard cup is fairly dire.

This makes me realise how much better it would be if I could take my own meal on board.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Mucci des tres pathetiques
Thanks for the re-assurances, but I will will e-mail KLM, just to confirm the facts. The KLM economy class food is hardly inspiring, but the thought of spending 13 hours with no food, and only drinking only water from a cardboard cup is fairly dire.

This makes me realise how much better it would be if I could take my own meal on board.
http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prep...oard/index.htm

So four different people have taken the time to reply to your post, all emphatically confirming you will receive a meal, and yet you still feel the need to email KLM? Tell me, how many people responding would have been enough to satisfy you with the answer given?

What was the point of your post if you're just going to email KLM anyway? Why not just go on the KLM website where it will even tell you that you'll be fed?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5

MNL - AMS - 1 Dinner
AMS - LUX - 1 Snack

There is a meal. Must be some glitch between AF/KL's website and Amadeus' retrieve for meal services.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kamal Toe
http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prep...oard/index.htm

So four different people have taken the time to reply to your post, all emphatically confirming you will receive a meal, and yet you still feel the need to email KLM? Tell me, how many people responding would have been enough to satisfy you with the answer given?

What was the point of your post if you're just going to email KLM anyway? Why not just go on the KLM website where it will even tell you that you'll be fed?
Several people have replied stating that I must be mistaken, but nobody who has actually experienced the "No Inflight-Meal" situation on an award booking.

Obviously I would like to be certain what the situation is. My booking specifically states "No Inflight Meal", Why??

"What was the point of your post if you're just going to email KLM anyway? "
Because I wish to share the views of experienced flyers like yourself, I thought that was the whole reason for Flyertalk...

btw The link you provide to KLM catering is a fantasy view of the KLM in-flight food.
From memory the standard offering is "Chicken or Beef", and I always select the wrong one...
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Several people have replied stating that I must be mistaken, but nobody who has actually experienced the "No Inflight-Meal" situation on an award booking.

Obviously I would like to be certain what the situation is. My booking specifically states "No Inflight Meal", Why??

"What was the point of your post if you're just going to email KLM anyway? "
Because I wish to share the views of experienced flyers like yourself, I thought that was the whole reason for Flyertalk...

btw The link you provide to KLM catering is a fantasy view of the KLM in-flight food.
From memory the standard offering is "Chicken or Beef", and I always select the wrong one...
this happens all the time. I have a C-class flight from FRA to BOS where is reads no meal and 1PC. Sometimes is pulls errorous data from somewhere. Don't work yourself up over an IT glitch.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: EK Silver, LH SEN, CX Gold, UA 2P, DJ Silver, Sixt Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
This could all be because of the booking code that KLM uses for your award flight and that it is not recognised by the system's computer as an 'actual' booking class.

Of course you will be fed. Don't believe in what the computer says... unless its says, "No".
"COmputer says NOOO!"
Old Aug 2, 2010, 1:20 am

Programs: KL (silver), BA
glitches with Award tickets and them displayed on the website happen frequently. I had a similar No Meal one last year when I upgraded to J via miles on a KL IAD/AMS. You get similar issues on upgraded flights with crediting your base miles.

The good thing: in case you do not get a meal you can get chocolates, candy and crackers at the galley during KL flights of that length

Cheers, Tjobbe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.