Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why was the Flying Dutchman FFP called Flying Dutchman?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2010, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Why was the Flying Dutchman FFP called Flying Dutchman?

Why was KLM's frequent flier programme, before the advent of Flying Blue, called Flying Dutchman? I wonder, because old mariner legends concerning the ghost ship Flying Dutchman are not usually or necessarily associated with... good things. And generally, the sighting of the mythical Flying Dutchman is a sign of impending peril and can only be seen in foul weather (not something I would not to associate with an upcoming flight on a metal tube attached to metal wings filled with combustible fuel flying at 900kph at 30,000 meters over an ocean with a massive pressure differential relative to the external environment).

For example, the original legend has it that the namesake perished while rounding the infamous Cape of Good Hope (or was it Cape Horn?), but was later sighted by her sister ship as an apparent apparition, or ghost ship that quickly disappeared. A Dutch captain Fokke of the Dutch East India Company (VOC) was suspected of having made a deal with the devil, thus explaining how quickly he could sail from Amsterdam to Java, and making him a model for the fictitious Captain Van der Decken (and later Captain Sparrow of course). That captain was thought to curse the winds and damn himself to eternally roam the seas rather than admit defeat...

The only "positive" I can find in the story is the fact that Captain Fokke was able to travel so "quickly" (3 months to present-day Jakarta). Some marketing ploy? So... travel KLM and you will get to your destination fast and on time, but as a surcharge you'll have to sell your soul to Lucifer?

All forecasts of doom and tales of Judgement Day aside, I almost like the name. It at least has some element of history and travel in it. Much more inspiring than "Flying Blue" anyway, which pretty much has the inspiration equivalent to a hypermodern PR firm populated with 30-somethings wearing poorly tailored Italian suits, if that.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Why was KLM's frequent flier programme, before the advent of Flying Blue, called Flying Dutchman? I wonder, because old mariner legends concerning the ghost ship Flying Dutchman are not usually or necessarily associated with... good things. And generally, the sighting of the mythical Flying Dutchman is a sign of impending peril and can only be seen in foul weather (not something I would not to associate with an upcoming flight on a metal tube attached to metal wings filled with combustible fuel flying at 900kph at 30,000 meters over an ocean with a massive pressure differential relative to the external environment).

For example, the original legend has it that the namesake perished while rounding the infamous Cape of Good Hope (or was it Cape Horn?), but was later sighted by her sister ship as an apparent apparition, or ghost ship that quickly disappeared. A Dutch captain Fokke of the Dutch East India Company (VOC) was suspected of having made a deal with the devil, thus explaining how quickly he could sail from Amsterdam to Java, and making him a model for the fictitious Captain Van der Decken (and later Captain Sparrow of course). That captain was thought to curse the winds and damn himself to eternally roam the seas rather than admit defeat...

The only "positive" I can find in the story is the fact that Captain Fokke was able to travel so "quickly" (3 months to present-day Jakarta). Some marketing ploy? So... travel KLM and you will get to your destination fast and on time, but as a surcharge you'll have to sell your soul to Lucifer?

All forecasts of doom and tales of Judgement Day aside, I almost like the name. It at least has some element of history and travel in it. Much more inspiring than "Flying Blue" anyway, which pretty much has the inspiration equivalent to a hypermodern PR firm populated with 30-somethings wearing poorly tailored Italian suits, if that.
I know this story, but.... you're looking too deep.

I guess it is simple because KLM is Dutch and flies. So they are Flying Dutchmen (and -women). And so are their Dutch passengers...
Old May 30, 2010, 1:32 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Not forgetting the reference to Wagner's opera

The term flying Dutchman in Dutch became an amelioration ("geuzennaam": a Dutch term for a negative or derogatory name appropriated and reclaimed as a positive label of empowerment) so as to express the awe at conquering the skies (in stead of the seas) I guess
Old May 30, 2010, 2:09 am

Well, in all honesty, there are very few references to "Dutch" in the English vernacular that are not negative:

Dutch uncle: someone annoying who gives unrequested advice

Dutch courage: the "courage" one gets from drinking too much gin

Dutch act: suicide

Dutch comfort: cold comfort (things could always be worse)

Dutch defense: a sham defense

Dutch generosity: stinginess

Dutch headache: hangover

Dutch gold: an alloy of copper and zinc that tarnishes easily

Dutch widow: a prostitute

Dutch party: one where everyone pays their own expense or the host doesn't play host

Double Dutch: speaking in a way so as to not be able to be understood

(to be) In Dutch: in trouble, out of favor, in suspicion

IMO Flying Dutchman was chosen for the same reason we are being offered "forgotten vegetables" and "biological cheeses": the Dutch' infamous knack for self-overestimation and believing that they are better with their languages and their cultural understanding than they really are.
Old May 30, 2010, 2:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
According to Wikipedia:

The name Flying Dutchman has a convoluted history. In common with many steam and diesel engines such as the LNER A1's and BR class 55 Deltics, the Flying Dutchman was named after a famous racehorse, which had won both the Derby and St. Leger in 1849. The racehorse was in turn named after the famous Dutch Admiral Tromp.
My first thought when I saw the OP I was thinking of the steam train running back in Victorian Times and I actually thought the name was playing with the words flying and dutch...
Old May 30, 2010, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman
Not forgetting the reference to Wagner's opera

The term flying Dutchman in Dutch became an amelioration ("geuzennaam": a Dutch term for a negative or derogatory name appropriated and reclaimed as a positive label of empowerment) so as to express the awe at conquering the skies (in stead of the seas) I guess
Similar to a sobriquet, or linguistic re-appropriation in English... like Yankee, or redneck, or punk(er).
Old May 30, 2010, 5:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM

IMO Flying Dutchman was chosen for the same reason we are being offered "forgotten vegetables" and "biological cheeses": the Dutch' infamous knack for self-overestimation and believing that they are better with their languages and their cultural understanding than they really are.
Thanks for that, that is a really nice thing to say!
Old May 30, 2010, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
Thanks for that, that is a really nice thing to say!
Alstublieft!

My doing so was illustrative for another generally recognized common Dutch trait: brutal honesty and boorish directness bordering on rudeness.
Old May 30, 2010, 9:34 am

I imagine it harks back to early KL advertising campaigns (1920s) that show a KLM aircraft with a Dutch VOC ship under the slogan "The Flying Dutchman" It was used many time over the years.
Old May 30, 2010, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
I imagine it harks back to early KL advertising campaigns (1920s) that show a KLM aircraft with a Dutch VOC ship under the slogan "The Flying Dutchman" It was used many time over the years.
There we go! A constructive and interesting comment! Rarity these days...

This I did not know. Any links to old advertisements?

But even so... legends of pacts with the devil and portending doom did not factor into the decision?
Old May 30, 2010, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by erik123
Indeed, the company culture references are strong and date back to the time the company was formed. I have a framed reproduction from this original campaign hanging in our hall. The references to Flying Dutchman actually continued on and off for decades. The pre-Flying Dutchman club dating from 1956 which handed out skippers card to the good old boys network was also called the Flying Dutchman and there was later essentially no questioning what to call the FFP.

http://www.retrolution.dk/images/wp/...man_poster.jpg
http://imagecache.allposters.com/ima...ne-Posters.jpg
http://www.urbannebula.nl/?datatype=...de%20hollander
Old May 30, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Alstublieft!

My doing so was illustrative for another generally recognized common Dutch trait: brutal honesty and boorish directness bordering on rudeness.
I fear greatly to enter into a debate on Dutchness with such eminently qualified gentlepeople as yourselves, and Long Live KLM in particular. However, I have an opinion.

Brutal honesty: yes
directness: yes indeed

"boorish directness bordering on rudeness" never. the reputation in question is based on a reluctance to dissemble, not boorishness. Rudeness only applies if disingenuousness is a desirable trait. One of the reasons I have always delighted in my relationships with the Dutch, including two of my favorites bosses, is that one never need wonder what someone else is thinking. One always knows.

Many cultures will avoid clarity if there is a way to do so. That breeds confusion. Nobody is confused about his position with a stereotypical Dutchman.

I suspect most people who care much about the subject understand the slight duality in potential for imagery of Flying Dutchman. In this context there's no doubt what it means. It means I'll have good proper correct service in flight and I'll leave with another house!
Old May 30, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The pre-Flying Dutchman club dating from 1956 which handed out skippers card to the good old boys network was also called the Flying Dutchman
I still have a Junior Skipper of the Flying Dutchman Club membership certificate (signed by both the president and chief skipper!) from 1965, as well as the accompanying shiny pin with wings.

Johan
Old May 31, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Alstublieft!

Bedankt! Toch wordt ik als echte gezonde blonde Hollandse jongen over de hele wereld altijd met open armen ontvangen.
Old May 31, 2010, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
Bedankt! Toch wordt ik als echte gezonde blonde Hollandse jongen over de hele wereld altijd met open armen ontvangen.
Congratulations! I imagine that being tall, blue-eyed, bushy-tailed & handsome, ready for hugs and well-traveled to boot gives you an advantage. That and not being National goodwill representative Sven Kramer.

http://static.rnw.nl/migratie/www.ra...rch-redirected
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_467154.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.