Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Sample sale - What was jetblue thinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

How could a firm based in New York, run a one day sale on Yom Kippur?

Would they run a one day sale on Christmas Day or Easter Day?

Jetblue really dropped the ball on this one.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Long Distance
How could a firm based in New York, run a one day sale on Yom Kippur?
I agree. Pretty bad form.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
They have one day sales every week on Monday through Twitter. This week it was just more destinations but it was in place of the twitter sale. They have been doing this for months now.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I'm a bit ignorant about it other that what I read on Wikipedia about Yom Kippur. Is it common to abstain from computer usage on this day?

At least you don't have to go down to the airport to buy a ticket!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
They have one day sales every week on Monday through Twitter. This week it was just more destinations but it was in place of the twitter sale. They have been doing this for months now.

You can't compare "cheeps" (which are a joke to me) to a systemwide sale.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:17 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
You can't compare "cheeps" (which are a joke to me) to a systemwide sale.
I agree with you 100%!

Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the year for Jews and many people DO NOT go on the computers on that day.

It would be similar to targeting a sale for only people who work at the Vatican on either Christmas or Easter.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Krustov
I'm a bit ignorant about it other that what I read on Wikipedia about Yom Kippur. Is it common to abstain from computer usage on this day?

At least you don't have to go down to the airport to buy a ticket!

Yom Kippur is the holiest day on the Jewish calendar. It is expected that we spend the full day in temple and fast for 24 hours. While not everyone spends all or part of the day in temple, and I am in the group that does not go at all, I do no work, no shopping, etc., on Yom Kippur. It is a day to spend with family and reflect on the past year.

There had to be a significant number of employees absent in Jetblue's Forest Hills office yesterday observing the holiday.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
It would be similar to targeting a sale for only people who work at the Vatican on either Christmas or Easter.
In what way was this sale targeted?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Question

I'm curious as well; why should a business (not religiously affiliated) be expected to work around the religious holidays of all humans on earth? The US Postal Service still delivers, Macy's still offers sales, grocery stores are open for business.

I could understand your point if Jet Blue were operating in Israel, but anywhere else, frankly - a non-issue.

Just my $.02
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coastalguy
I'm curious as well; why should a business (not religiously affiliated) be expected to work around the religious holidays of all humans on earth? The US Postal Service still delivers, Macy's still offers sales, grocery stores are open for business.

I could understand your point if Jet Blue were operating in Israel, but anywhere else, frankly - a non-issue.

Just my $.02
The don't have to work around, they SHOULD work around.

Why would you want to limit your customer base? They did not run a sale not to sell tickets.

Why would you want to alienate a portion of your customer base? I was annoyed this morning when I saw that I missed out on this.

You are trying to build your business travel out of JFK, hmmmm, a nice percentage of those business travelers are Jewish. A sale based on flights only on Tuesday and Wednesday, a great way to get business travelers to make numerous reservations and hopefully become "JetBlue" fans.

Should I continue or is that enough?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not if you're going to keep trying to make an issue out of something that really should not be getting your panties in a bunch.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:15 pm

Why would you want to alienate a portion of your customer base? I was annoyed this morning when I saw that I missed out on this.

Why do airlines run web only sales when many people do not have access to a computer or the internet?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 9:37 pm

By that logic, should the stock market be closed on Yom Kippur as well?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 2P, NWA & AirTran A+ refugee
You are trying to build your business travel out of JFK, hmmmm, a nice percentage of those business travelers are Jewish. A sale based on flights only on Tuesday and Wednesday, a great way to get business travelers to make numerous reservations and hopefully become "JetBlue" fans.
They are trying to build up their customer base everywhere, not just out of JFK. Are airlines based in the middle east not supposed to run fare sales during daylight hours during Ramadan?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flatlined
Are airlines based in the middle east not supposed to run fare sales during daylight hours during Ramadan?
Big difference, since most observing that holiday continue to work during those hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.