Buy-Onboard testing to begin

Old Jan 22, 09, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Exclamation Buy-Onboard testing to begin

Starting on the 28th of Janurary and running through the 31st of March we will be test selling a large variety of items onboard the aircraft. These items will be sold in additional to our normal assortment of complimentary snacks. The normal snacks are not going away nor are they being reduced. The mostly commonly request from customers is more of a meal option on the longer flights. The test will only be conducted in a limited number of markets and is only available on the Airbus 320 due to the space requirements needed to store the items. Here is a list of the cities and the flights that will have the new buy-onboard option.

JFK-LGB
221, 209, 215, 217

JFK-MCO
59, 65, 821

JFK-PBI
77, 101, 143

JFK-SJU
717, 701, 703

LGB-JFK
202, 204, 212, 216

MCO-JFK
78, 156, 46

PBI-JFK
832, 840, 144

SJU-JFK
718, 706, 704

On these flights an announcement will be made and menus will be handed out before the drink service starts. Remember we aren't getting rid of the free snacks so you won't have to pay anything to get a snack. These are just out as an upgraded option if you so choose. Below is a list of the food options along with a description and the price.

Jack Link's Beef Jerky Snack - $5
The original beef jerky with lean strips of 100% beef, smoked over mesquite and packed with protein.

Peeled Snacks Fruits & Nuts - $5
A mix of dark chocolate, pears, apricots, almonds and walnuts

Sahale Snacks Almonds - $5
Whole almonds, orange blossom honey and naturally dried cranberries toped with salted seeds and sea salt.

See's Candies - $11
This gleaming sliver gift box holds a half pound assortment of See's famous chocolate confections.

Decadent Box - $8
Indulde yourself with Mediterranean olives, baked tortilla chips, salsa, crackers & Italian cream cheese, salami and Newman's Own Organics Sweet Dark Chocolate Orange Bar.

Healthy Box - $8
Energize yourself with crunchy trail mix, Emergen-C vitamin drink mix, apple chips, almond crandberry bar and Belle Creme cheese spread and crackers.

Kids Box - $8
For the kids, Dole Tropical Mixed Fruit, Pringles Minis, Newmans Own Organics Raisns, Clif Kid ZBaR Blueberry and Clif Kid Organic Twisted Fruit Strawberry. Toy Included.

Turkey & Gouda Sandwich on Dark Wheat - $8
Turkey with Gouda, lettuce, mixed pickled sweet pepper strips. Served with mayonnaise and mustard on the side.

Roasted Vegetable Wrap - $8
Spinach wrap with roasted vegetable medley, Swiss cheese and lettuce. Served with a side of balsamic vinaigrette.

Santa Fe Style Ceaser Salad - $8
Romaine lettuce and individually packed salsa ranch dressing, roasted white chicken meat, corn, four cheese blend and tortilla strips.

Fresh Fruit with Yogurt - $5
Apples and grapes served with creamy plain yogurt and crunchy granola.
Old Jan 22, 09, 5:49 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Buy on board

Sounds interesting . I like having the vegetarian option . Having the meal option would come in handy on the longer flights. I hope the logistics work out for B6.
Old Jan 22, 09, 6:16 pm

Programs: Frontier Early Returns, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue
Jetblue has needed this for awhile especially on the long flights.

Last edited by Jerseyguy; Jan 23, 09 at 5:31 am
Old Jan 22, 09, 10:45 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Interesting...I guess it was only a matter of time. My guess is that if the #s are good, we'll see it introduced mainly on transcons and long Caribbean routes. I don't see this working as well on the NE-FL runs for some reason.

The variety is very nice. But, for one item - beef jerky - am I the only one who thinks this stuff looks and smells nasty?! Please share your input on this 'odd' choice! As far as everything else, it looks great.

I hope that it's possible for the business partner to clearly label all ingredients and allergen warnings on these products - as one who is severely allergic to tree nuts (consuming only - can still be in cabin with them around), I hope that others with various life threatening food allergies will be able to easily identify ingredients and any possible traces of certain allergens on these products, just like on the standard snacks.

In addition, just a suggestion to the company - maybe test out one kosher meal option?
Old Jan 23, 09, 4:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL View Post
In addition, just a suggestion to the company - maybe test out one kosher meal option?
The veggie options should cover that. The folks that care more than that probably won't BoB anyways.
Old Jan 23, 09, 5:12 am
Original Poster

The variety is very nice. But, for one item - beef jerky - am I the only one who thinks this stuff looks and smells nasty?! Please share your input on this 'odd' choice! As far as everything else, it looks great.
I was just saying that I don't think the snacks are going to do very well. I think the sandwiches and the boxes will do well but the snack options might be a light seller

I hope that it's possible for the business partner to clearly label all ingredients and allergen warnings on these products - as one who is severely allergic to tree nuts (consuming only - can still be in cabin with them around), I hope that others with various life threatening food allergies will be able to easily identify ingredients and any possible traces of certain allergens on these products, just like on the standard snacks.
All of the Inflight Crews have a handout that specifically states what is in each product and what allergies could be affected so it can be avoided.
Old Jan 23, 09, 12:51 pm

With this possibility of cheap domestic upgrades going away on DL this may just be enough to swing me over to B6
Old Jan 23, 09, 6:37 pm

I was in a company meeting today where we covered this topic. Crewmembers who have tasted the items rave about all of them. We did talk about the Kosher option and labels. We'd love your feedback here as well as on our web site.

I hear the olives are wonderful with red wine.
Old Jan 24, 09, 5:39 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Kosher meals

I remember that some of the vendors in T6 sold kosher meals. Did they sell well ? Has any other airline tried to seel the Kosher meals on board ? You may want to try it during the passover holiday , when the demand for kosher would be higher (you would be need kosher for passover items then ) ? More people would go for the kosher items during that time period .
Old Jan 24, 09, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmg42000 View Post
You may want to try it during the passover holiday , when the demand for kosher would be higher (you would be need kosher for passover items then ) ? More people would go for the kosher items during that time period .
Slightly OT but this made me remember a trip I took during passover several years ago, back when airlines offered things like special meals on domestic flights. I ordered the kosher meal and received a "normal" kosher meal, roll and all. That was both annoying and entertaining.
Old Jan 24, 09, 10:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy PLT, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I am glad to hear this, I hope it is successful. Some of the food items sound very good. I want the santa fe caeser salad.
Old Jan 24, 09, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

I was in BOS the other day when they did a tasting for all of the crewmembers and I was very impressed with the options. The folks in FSC seem to have really thought this out and put in some major effort into this. I think this will do well, especially on the transcon flights. The short and mid ranged flights might not see much sold but I would buy one if I was on a transcon flight! Most of this is priced cheaper than many airport options.
Old Jan 24, 09, 3:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy PLT, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I say scrap the snacks, the free ones are good enough.
Old Jan 24, 09, 6:57 pm

Programs: Starwood, HHonors
Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
I am glad to hear this, I hope it is successful. Some of the food items sound very good. I want the santa fe caeser salad.
the salads are made by 'ready pak' or something like that, I've seen them in the grocery store before.
Old Jan 24, 09, 8:43 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
I didn't see it mentioned yet, but also note that the buy on board food will replace the premium beverage offerings on the flights on which they are tested. This is due to storage, as the current premium beverage cart will be replaced with a BOB food cart. Unfortunately, this means you can't have Rockstar, Vitamin Water, a Lemon Drop, or any other Stirrings drinks with your turkey sandwich.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: