Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

jetBlue pilots file representation petition with NMB

Old Nov 12, 08, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hasn't been published yet, from what I could find.

From another website:

http://www.usaviation.com/forums/ind...howtopic=44036
Old Nov 12, 08, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Our message was clear and sincere: We are fully supportive of our leadership; we have a deep appreciation for the special employer that JetBlue Airways is; and we wish to see our pilots and our airline remain deeply committed to each other while operating in true partnership via lawful negotiation. We outlined our primary issues with regard to our current process. Without support under the rule of law, providing for our pilots in a manner appropriate to their status as career employees often is not legally possible. This underscores our need to have a relationship based not on the benevolence of a leadership team that could transition at any time, but on a relationship where there exists a means to resolve our private discourses under the support of legal process. It is our processes that are flawed, not our people.
We need legal standing just in case something changes in the future. I understand it, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. It is certainly interesting to see phrases like "support under the rule of law" bandied about.

Last edited by sbm12; Nov 12, 08 at 9:06 pm Reason: Added link
Old Nov 12, 08, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
We have notified both our CEO Dave Barger and our Board of Directors in writing regarding our intended submission. Consistent with our stated goal of setting a new standard for employee labor relations, these actions were taken prior to the final submission of our petition. It was imperative for our leaders to receive this important information directly from the source, rather than from the media or from any third party. We feel very strongly in this regard not only because it is the right thing to do, but also because it indicates the type of relationship we have today and the relationship we wish to continue in the future.
Referencing color changes:

1. If you're trying to set a new standard for labor relations, then why is representation the next step?

2. That's indeed sweet that the pilots decided to tell management before news of it broke, but that's basically the pilots saying "We want you to know exactly who it is that is trying to screw you."
Old Nov 12, 08, 11:46 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Just wait until it comes down to a vote (if it reaches that)...I don't think we'll see it happen. Communication between Crewmembers and management is extremely open.
Old Nov 12, 08, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL View Post
Communication between Crewmembers and management is extremely open.
Which is why the move by the pilots is that much more confusing and IMO unnecessary.
Old Nov 13, 08, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
...it indicates the type of relationship we have today and the relationship we wish to continue in the future.
Well, if this gets traction, the type of relationship you have in the future is going to be a hell of a lot different from the one you have today, and it's not going to do JetBlue any good.

It is hard to read this as good news for the company or its customers.
Old Nov 13, 08, 8:34 am

Things might look good from the outside, but let me tell you that all is not well at Jetblue
There is abig rift developing between management and employees
Not like it used to be
That is what happens when you grow
Stay tuned
Old Nov 13, 08, 9:27 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
When a company is successful and growing, it's easy to maintain great employee relations. When times get tough and business remains static shrinks, all sorts of destructive forces appear. Backstabbing within management escalates as it becomes a game of musical chairs.

It's no fun to work in a company facing a cost squeeze and layoffs. Just like the airlines start looking for questionable ways to extract money from their customers, employees start looking for any and all ways to increase their income without regard to the long-run consequences. That's why people say that companies either grow or die.
Old Nov 13, 08, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL View Post
Just wait until it comes down to a vote (if it reaches that)...I don't think we'll see it happen. Communication between Crewmembers and management is extremely open.
Are you crazy. We presented the company with a very comprehensive PCRB ( Pilot Compensation Review Board ) report earlier in the year with indepth industry data comparing pay, retirement and numerous other concerns. The company ignored better than half the findings. We are at will employees, yet we are career employees. JetBlue wants to treat everyone as equal but unfortunately we are not. I could throw bags like a ramper on any given day but that same individual wouldn't have the ability to start an aircraft engine, let alone fly an Airbus or an E190. We want a voice in our future, a future where the company can't simply make up their rules without pilot input. I believe as an active JetBlue pilot that I have a good pulse on this pilot group and I for one welcome this move and look forward to working under a new Collective bargaining agreement. I will be voting yes and I predict that hundreds of my fellow pilots will be doing likewise. A pilot union can still have a good working relationship with management. Our current voluntary pilot committees are absolutely powerless and management know it.

Last edited by dietcoke; Nov 13, 08 at 6:48 pm
Old Nov 14, 08, 7:51 am

Programs: Mariott Silver, Hilton Silver, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, US Airways Chairman's Preferred Refugee
Originally Posted by bubba jack View Post
Things might look good from the outside, but let me tell you that all is not well at Jetblue
Not like it used to be
Stay tuned
Do you know something that we do not?
Old Nov 14, 08, 8:47 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by bubba jack View Post
Not like it used to be
Stay tuned
I'm not aware of any huge rift between management and employees. The pilots are trying to get a more solid holding with the company and ensure they are get a better say with the company. Many of our pilots, those that didn't come from the military, spent a huge sum of money studying and training to become a pilot. Many also started off at a smaller regional and then worked their way up to JetBlue. If I put that much time, money, and effort into my profession I would want some solid job security as well. If the pilots what to have a union speak for them then I'm behind them. We have some of the best pilots around and it's a pleasure to work with them.
Old Nov 14, 08, 11:07 am

Programs: B6,HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by dietcoke View Post
I could throw bags like a ramper on any given day but that same individual wouldn't have the ability to start an aircraft engine, let alone fly an Airbus or an E190.

Maybe the less skilled trades need to unionize also.
Old Nov 14, 08, 11:17 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
pilots & union

I think the pilots would want some protection in case B6 gets sold. If they did not have a union they may get the shaft during a merger .(It may not help much -- see the US/HP merger) but its better then nothing.
Old Nov 14, 08, 11:38 am

Programs: Starwood, HHonors
Communication might be "open" between the pilot group and management, but they sure don't listen.

The PVC is a joke.

I don't want to air the dirty laundry....But... after the findings of the Pilot Compensation Review Board (PCRB) this summer, deteriorating work rules and lack of merger protection I think we'll be seeing the first union on property.. soon
Old Nov 14, 08, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by ADMNY View Post
Maybe the less skilled trades need to unionize also.
I'm not here to bash your job. We all have different skills and positions within JetBlue. If the rampers want to unionize so be it. Indeed,there are already rumblings within the FA ranks. I am a pilot thus my primary concern is the interests of the pilots within JetBlue. Again, it is my belief that our current system of committees are absolutely powerless and are being used by management. Classic example is the PVC ( pilots values committee ). When I voted to elect members onto this committee I voted to have a tool in place to uphold our employee VALUES. They are simply a channel to air grievances through. This committee was not empowered by the pilot force to negotiate payrates and other areas of our compensation package. This is most definately outside their charter, yet management have been using them for this very reason. This is why we need a collective bargaining agreement. The bottom line is simple. Management can and have imposed workrules at will. Many of these rule changes have been opposed, adamantly, by the pilot group, yet we have absolutely no recourse when it comes to implementation. whats wrong with your most important labor group wanting a voice in their own future.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: