Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue offers free trip to nowhere from JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond

United States - NEW YORK (Reuters) - Want all the hassle of air travel without going anywhere?

Step up for JetBlue Airways (nasdaq: JBLU - news - people ) Corp's trial of bag check and security systems at its new John F. Kennedy International Airport terminal, which is set to open in September.

New York-based JetBlue is looking for 1,000 of its frequent flyers to show up at JFK on Aug. 23 to check bags given to them by the airline, go through security and wait at the assigned gate for their imaginary "flight".

In return, the airline is promising unspecified "giveaways", free parking and lunch.

The U.S. No. 7 carrier is taking no chances with the systems at its new Terminal 5, following the chaotic opening of British Airways' Terminal 5 at London's Heathrow Airport in March, as baggage systems failed and staff didn't know their way around the new building.

Only last week, AMR Corp (nyse: AMR - news - people )'s American Airlines had to cancel flights from JFK after its baggage system software malfunctioned at a different terminal.

JetBlue, partly owned by Germany's Lufthansa, is no stranger to snafus at JFK, canceling hundreds of flights and stranding thousands of passengers last year after an ice-storm hit New York. (Reporting by Bill Rigby; editing by Carol Bishopric)

Copyright 2008 Reuters, Click for Restriction
Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Argggghhhhhh.

I'm going to be out of town that weekend. I would have loved to see the terminal as it gets closer to finished and snag some more photos of it.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:23 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

If I lived on Long Island, I would do this! Sounds like fun and the probability of winning a free ticket is great incentive. I'm sure some FTers will do it.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
How do we get invited?

I'm a Trueblue account holder and I'm in town on the 23rd!

Pick me! Pick me!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: trueblue
Where do I sign up?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Well, put me down as a curious cat when it comes to know how to be gaurenteed a spot on that flight. Speaking about how its for trueblue memebers, will the be trueblue points accrued for the flight?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
I just got the e-mail invitation. From the looks of it all TrueBlue member people in the NY area are likely to get it.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BTW, there won't actually be a flight involved from what I can see. You might make it as far as boarding a plane, but I think they really are looking to test the check-in, baggage and security facilities. I doubt they'd waste fuel getting a plane off the ground.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by defiance96
I just got the e-mail invitation. From the looks of it all TrueBlue member people in the NY area are likely to get it.
Nothing for me yet.

Is the link personalized/targeted, or a generic one?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:36 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Wow, this was quick! This afternoon I was part of a group of crewmembers (I would estimate about 300 or so) that did this same exact trial run. They told us about the larger one for TB members on 8/23. The one today was to prepare for the upcoming larger-scale trial discussed here. It was very interesting, and certainly helps the company choose effective check-in procedures for both self service kiosk/bag drop and full counter service.

PS - T5 looks AMAZING! Only thing missing is the signage, which might even be up by 8/23!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 6:10 am

Programs: United MP, AirTran A+, SW RR
Question

The question I have is, will you have to pay for your second checked bag on your flight to nowhere? How about upgrades to EML seats?

Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
The U.S. No. 7 carrier is taking no chances with the systems at its new Terminal 5, following the chaotic opening of British Airways' Terminal 5 at London's Heathrow Airport in March, as baggage systems failed and staff didn't know their way around the new building.
If only it were so simple. If you search in the BA forum you'll find some of the FT'ers went on three(?) similar exercises at LHR T5, and we know the results - "taking no chances" is grossly optimistic unless they're able to fully stress the systems over an extended period.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: Credit Cards
I cold be there too...

Invite me!

--Russ
Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, HH Gold
I think I could also be there. I'm in NYC this time.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA GLD
I'm in the NY area, but I was not invited. Bummer. Any more info about this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.