FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Pricing with Jet Blue: Are first offered prices the best? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/843498-pricing-jet-blue-first-offered-prices-best.html)

Bishope2 Jul 10, 2008 6:41 am

Pricing with Jet Blue: Are first offered prices the best?

Greetings,

My wife and I are considering Jet Blue for travel in April. This would be our first experience with Jet Blue. Knowing that they have not extended their schedule yet I signed up for the TrueBlue membership to get advance notice of the extension. I took this advice from reading the boards. Thanks to everyone.

Anyhow. Unsure as to how Jet Blue prices fares, maybe someone could answer this question. If I catch the extension when it opens, will the first posting of fares be the best offer from Jet Blue? Or should I play the game and wait to see if they drop?

Thanks

JetBlueFA Jul 10, 2008 7:12 am

It has been the case that the first fare buckets to be released, when the schedules are extended, are the higher fare buckets.

dinosims Jul 10, 2008 10:34 am

What JetBlueFA said....

However, on jetBlue, if the price for the same itinerary goes down sometime after you bought the ticket, you can call up and receive a voucher for the difference - sort of a low price guarantee.

tfc3rid Jul 10, 2008 10:40 am

Originally Posted by dinosims (Post 10012629)
What JetBlueFA said....

However, on jetBlue, if the price for the same itinerary goes down sometime after you bought the ticket, you can call up and receive a voucher for the difference - sort of a low price guarantee.

But is there a fee attached to it?

JetBlueFA Jul 10, 2008 10:45 am

I think there was but I believe that the fee has been done away with.

tfc3rid Jul 10, 2008 10:49 am

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA (Post 10012699)

Thanks... Good to know...

I'm working on booking a FL trip, 10 days from Oct. 31 to Nov 10 and thus far, JetBlue is about $350 R/T... I'd rather fly JetBlue but the 350 makes me cringe...

sbm12 Jul 10, 2008 11:39 am

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA (Post 10012699)

No fee for the exact same flights. Or $100 for any other change.

somedude24 Jul 10, 2008 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 10013065)
No fee for the exact same flights. Or $100 for any other change.

This policy has come, and gone, and come back, so I'd be careful not to rely upon it. As far as I know, jetBlue's just about the only one left that will honor a lower fare at any time (not just within 24 hours of booking) without a fee. Let's hope this policy is here to stay this time.

the phoenix Jul 12, 2008 9:10 pm

Wow, glad I read this thread. I've been holding out buying a ticket, (on AA or CO) waiting for B6s new dates to open. But if higher fares are highest, I wonder if its worth waiting anymore.

jetBlueNYFL Jul 13, 2008 12:35 am

Originally Posted by the phoenix (Post 10024872)
Wow, glad I read this thread. I've been holding out buying a ticket, (on AA or CO) waiting for B6s new dates to open. But if higher fares are highest, I wonder if its worth waiting anymore.

If it's worth it is for you to decide. But keep in mind that AA and CO's fees may cost you more in the long run - especially if the fare declines. Also, you would not be getting the JetBlue experience.

nerd Jul 13, 2008 12:54 am

dupe!

nerd Jul 13, 2008 12:54 am

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL (Post 10025249)
Also, you would not be getting the JetBlue experience.

Yeah. Let us know how the experience is. ;)

jetBlueNYFL Jul 13, 2008 12:59 am

Originally Posted by nerd (Post 10025281)
Yeah. Let us know how the experience is. ;)

My experience is usually great, thanks. ;)

And for the few times that it's not, because air travel is far from perfect, JetBlue makes it up to the customer.

sbm12 Jul 13, 2008 7:08 am

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL (Post 10025249)
If it's worth it is for you to decide. But keep in mind that AA and CO's fees may cost you more in the long run - especially if the fare declines. Also, you would not be getting the JetBlue experience.

And which of the CO fees is higher than a JetBlue fee? Other than the ticket repricing - which is issued as a voucher for B6 so you've spent the money anyways, but at least you get another partial flight out of the deal - the CO and B6 fees are very, very, very similar across the board. AA charges for the 1st checked bag, but the other fees are pretty close.

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL (Post 10025284)
And for the few times that it's not, because air travel is far from perfect, JetBlue makes it up to the customer.

The VAST majority of the time that there are problems with air travel it is because of delays. The vast majority of delays are ATC/weather, particularly at JFK. And JetBlue is no better - and arguably worse in some cases - at compensation for ATC/weather delays. Even their much ballyhooed BoR isn't all that phenomenal compared to what other carriers usually offer. I give them credit for writing it down and publishing it, but they really aren't all that different than many other carriers in terms of providing compensation for MX delays.

And to top it all off, there is a chance that CO/AA fares will go down as well if the flights aren't selling. So the OP could wait a month and find that the fares dropped on CO/AA too. I'd take a look at one of the historical fare pricing tools and see what the range is for the flight you're looking at. If there is someone selling a fare and the price is reasonable, I'd buy it. It would seem right now that the industry is trending higher in fares, so chances of super low fares suddenly appearing are low, IMO.