Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Blue vs AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Jet Blue vs AA

I'm thinking of taking my first jet blue flight from SAN to JFK. i've always flown AA before and am a AA FF. Jet blue is a little less $$ but not sure it's worth not getting my miles. can any one tell me if jet blue would be a better option. both flights are non stop.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:03 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by joeyi
I'm thinking of taking my first jet blue flight from SAN to JFK. i've always flown AA before and am a AA FF. Jet blue is a little less $$ but not sure it's worth not getting my miles. can any one tell me if jet blue would be a better option. both flights are non stop.
You being a FF with AA, I'm assuming that you have status with them. So, let's compare the products upon that. With JetBlue, you will be on the A320 which seats up to 3 across on both sides of the isle. You will have upto 36' of legspace, depending on where you sit on the aircraft (check the website for which seats have what space). You will also receive 36 channels of DirectTV on your own TV, most aircrafts now XM radio as well, plenty of snacks and non-alcoholic beverages, and plenty of friendly smiles from the FAs, all for free. Alcohol is available for $5 per drink. The downside is that there is no meal service... just lots of free snacks.

With AA's front cabin, you'll have free drinks (alcoholic or not) and a meal services plus decent leg room.

The AA FA's can go either way for the warmth of the friendly nature (I've experienced both).

If you flying coach, I would do it. Not for points alone.

Give JetBlue a chance. Its worth it. I, personally do a decent amount of flying with Continental (which I like a lot better than AA) and I still fly JetBlue when I can because of the great product they offer.

(BTW - welcome to FT)
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
To me it all depends on whether or not you'll be in F or not on AA. If so, I'd take AA. If not, B6 is better than AA's coach product.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:09 am
Original Poster

thanks for the input. i'll be in couch on AA.
how do you pick your seats on B6's website. is it after you purchase the ticket? i haven't been able to find a seating chart or way to look at seats?

and thanks for the welcome.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
thanks for the input. i'll be in couch on AA.
how do you pick your seats on B6's website. is it after you purchase the ticket? i haven't been able to find a seating chart or way to look at seats?

and thanks for the welcome.
AFAIK, JetBlue still has this lame website defect where you can't check the seat maps until you purchase.

Others will correct me if I am wrong.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:37 am

You can still only book seats after buying your ticket, though you can call and ask about what is available. The hardest part about flying B6 will be the realization that you won't get any AA miles for the trip. Once you get past that the B6 Y experience will be much better than the AA Y experience.

As part of a "Welcome to FlyerTalk!" message I'll also suggest that you refrain from posting the same topic in multiple forums; that gets frowned on around here. The other one will likely disapper shortly
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:57 am
Original Poster

"As part of a "Welcome to FlyerTalk!" message I'll also suggest that you refrain from posting the same topic in multiple forums; that gets frowned on around here. The other one will likely disapper shortly
Today 6:16 am"

Sorry to all that i messed up with my first post. the AA people were not very happy with me. i was just trying to hear both sides of the story and still have yet to figure out how to do that. but i think i'll give B6 a try
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Jet Blue has a great product.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Sorry to all that i messed up with my first post. the AA people were not very happy with me. i was just trying to hear both sides of the story and still have yet to figure out how to do that. but i think i'll give B6 a try
Of course the AA people aren't happy. In coach, AA offers less leg room, slightly narrower seats, feeble entertainment options, and often surly staff. See seatguru.com for seating details, but to summarize, on the A320, rows 10 and 11 are exit rows, try for those at check in. Otherwise, rows 1-9 offer 36 inch pitch, the rows behind the exits offer 34, still better than AA, but a little tighter.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
As much as the positive things said about B6 are true most of the time, they all lose sight of the question you posed: Is it worth it if the fare on AA is higher? If the fare is nominally higher....I don't think its worth trying B6, particularly if you know your miles will be useable for future travel on AA.

In that case, I would stick with AA in your case, just as in my case I would stick with B6 (because thats where my current stash of points is.)

The niceness/benefits of B6 are not really that special at the end of the day.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by defiance96
As much as the positive things said about B6 are true most of the time, they all lose sight of the question you posed: Is it worth it if the fare on AA is higher? If the fare is nominally higher....I don't think its worth trying B6, particularly if you know your miles will be useable for future travel on AA.

In that case, I would stick with AA in your case, just as in my case I would stick with B6 (because thats where my current stash of points is.)

The niceness/benefits of B6 are not really that special at the end of the day.
Sensible reply. Since "point A" and "point B" are the same distance apart for anyone flying a non-stop, it's all about (a) money, and (b) whether the comforts of one equal the comforts of the other.

This regular AA flyer can put up with pretty much anything for 2-6 hours. After 6 hours (i.e., international), my discomfort grows exponentially. That's why I stick with AA, despite B6 being a better Y product and WN having greater frequencies on many routes: every summer, Mrs. CO FF & I settle in for 12-16 hours of F or J comfort as we head to Europe, paid for out of business travel (and credit card spend - but the cards are free).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.