Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Heavily Contested Bogota Authority

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heavily Contested Bogota Authority

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2008, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TrueBlue, HHonors
As I am not familiar with the source of MAH4546's O&D #'s, I was curious as to the scope of the catchment. Does the number(50 o/d pax daily) relate only to the MCO area? I assume they are compiled by the number of onward connections to, in this case BOG, at intermediate airports from the orgin of MCO. Do these numbers take into account connecting pax from Tampa, Sarasota, Daytona and other nearby cities (that may have originated from their home airport and made an onward connection to BOG wherever they chose to connect) that would find it more convenient to drive the hour and a half/2 hours to take the direct on B6 than to connect on another airline? Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Mimi Imferst
As I am not familiar with the source of MAH4546's O&D #'s, I was curious as to the scope of the catchment. Does the number(50 o/d pax daily) relate only to the MCO area? I assume they are compiled by the number of onward connections to, in this case BOG, at intermediate airports from the orgin of MCO. Do these numbers take into account connecting pax from Tampa, Sarasota, Daytona and other nearby cities (that may have originated from their home airport and made an onward connection to BOG wherever they chose to connect) that would find it more convenient to drive the hour and a half/2 hours to take the direct on B6 than to connect on another airline? Thanks.
No, they do not take into account such passengers. Nonetheless, such passengers would not add much.

MIA and FLL account for 49% of all traffic between the United States and Bogota. New York (all airports) accounts for, IIRC, 23%. Houston around 7%, Los Angles is approximately 5%, and Washington, D.C. is around 4%. The rest of the country is 17%.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAH4546
No, they do not take into account such passengers. Nonetheless, such passengers would not add much.

MIA and FLL account for 49% of all traffic between the United States and Bogota. New York (all airports) accounts for, IIRC, 23%. Houston around 7%, Los Angles is approximately 5%, and Washington, D.C. is around 4%. The rest of the country is 17%.

Interesting information. I hadn't considered the role IAD might play in this route. No direct flights from there to BOG and conx. available on B6 to MCO.

It seems that we will have to wait until final approval is granted(possibly another 2 weeks) before we see how this route is scheduled and priced.

Most prices I have encountered for flights to BOG one month prior from travel date from NYC, DC and Miami run in the high $600's to mid $700's rt.

It will be interesting to see both Jetblue's fare structure and schedule(another redeye?) for this route.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:22 am

Programs: 1K, Diamond
How long until the new MCO-BOG route is on the route map as being planned? Currently, the map doesn't even show South America. Maybe the artists are designing S. America? Perhaps while they're at it they could fix Florida so the Big Bend is a bend and not a straight line.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GreenTrees
How long until the new MCO-BOG route is on the route map as being planned? Currently, the map doesn't even show South America. Maybe the artists are designing S. America? Perhaps while they're at it they could fix Florida so the Big Bend is a bend and not a straight line.
No, not yet. B6 hasn't announcement for MCO-BOG is not activated the routes map yet. Probably its should be waits for several weeks. Then you can bookable ticketed online real soon. B6 will able showing up the routes map for MCO-BOG shortly.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:46 am
Original Poster

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,1654463.story

With the announcement of MCO as a focus city some information about connecting traffic has been brought to the forefront by Jetblue leadership:

"JetBlue has discussed connecting possibilities with German airline Lufthansa and Ireland's Aer Lingus, each of which has business partnerships with JetBlue. Both overseas airlines also launched nonstop service to Orlando in the fall.

"There's been every bit the amount of dialogue on Orlando as there has been on New York," Barger said.

There also some speculation and discussion on this in a previous thread about the holes in *A service to the Caribe and Latin America.

Still no word from the DOT on the final award...

Last edited by Mimi Imferst; Mar 22, 2008 at 4:15 am Reason: Fix links and quotations
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:50 am
Original Poster

AV, who had been given authority to serve BOG-MCO and had been planning to initiate service has placed the route on the shelf for the time being. Instead, the airline would like to serve Washington, DC direct from BOG and is currently waiting for approval.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:14 pm

*bump*

Does anybody have any news regarding the MCO-BOG route? I haven't heard anything for a few weeks! and with all airlines wanting to get the Colombian additional frequencies and AA problem, I cannot believe none of them have made any annoucements/advertising yet! hmmm...

Of course, the exception is NK with the FLL-CTG route which should start early next month. However, they haven't made much noise and their advertising is almost non-existent, at least here in the NYC area. Good luck to them though. How are those bookings looking? I snag a LGA-FLL-CTG and back for $390 all-in in Oct
Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:00 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
I recall Barger mentioning something about it in the call on Tuesday. I think he just referenced that it's still alive.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:04 am

When the bog flight comes in, any speculation on whether it will still be one true blue award? I'm assuming yes because as far as I know there is no where in the system that is more than one?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by JCinNYC
*bump*

Does anybody have any news regarding the MCO-BOG route? I haven't heard anything for a few weeks! and with all airlines wanting to get the Colombian additional frequencies and AA problem, I cannot believe none of them have made any annoucements/advertising yet! hmmm...

Of course, the exception is NK with the FLL-CTG route which should start early next month. However, they haven't made much noise and their advertising is almost non-existent, at least here in the NYC area. Good luck to them though. How are those bookings looking? I snag a LGA-FLL-CTG and back for $390 all-in in Oct
American Airlines is suing the Department of Transportation in the D.C. District Court of Appeals. Until the case is settled, nobody will be able to start these routes.

Spirit is doing ridiculously well on FLL-CTG, and look for AA to follow.
Old May 21, 2008, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Keeping this as current as possible given the slow flow of information:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/3991333/

This thread from a.net offers nothing new save a photo of the interior of Jetblue's ticketing office in Bogota.

The AA case B6 is waiting to clear in order to recieve final approval is sitting in the DC Court of Appeals. I have been scanning their calendar and have not been able to find this case scheduled all the way through June. I believe DOT filed a motion to dismiss AA's claim back in late March which would be a more procedural issue and probably not included in the calendar but I have not found any mention of the outcome of that either (if there has been one yet).

Another little tidbit of information: The route was proposed to the DOT with origination in JFK and a stop in MCO continuing to BOG (7:05pm departure from MCO) and a return through MCO (5:05 am arrival to MCO) with continuation to JFK. I guess that makes it a redeye, no?
Old May 21, 2008, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mimi Imferst
Another little tidbit of information: The route was proposed to the DOT with origination in JFK and a stop in MCO continuing to BOG (7:05pm departure from MCO) and a return through MCO (5:05 am arrival to MCO) with continuation to JFK. I guess that makes it a redeye, no?
Yep - a redeye that leaves BOG around 1:00AM, then. No thanks!
Old May 21, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by nerd
Yep - a redeye that leaves BOG around 1:00AM, then. No thanks!
It leaves around 1am because it's a south-north flight, as opposed to west-east. With JetBlue's service and connecting route possibilities, in addition to stimulating some O&D traffic, watch this flight be packed every night...even at that strange hour.
Old May 21, 2008, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
It leaves around 1am because it's a south-north flight, as opposed to west-east.
And that was exactly the math I used when I came up with the ~1:00am figure.

Actually, it's probably more like 1:30am, since it's only a 3 1/2 hour flight, and it would depart at 12:30am when the US is observing daylight savings time (they don't change the clocks in Colombia).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.