Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Neeleman, on his own, trying to replicate JetBlue's success in Brazil

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz

Very interesting to say the least. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe this will be the 4th airline Neeleman starts up. $200 million cash raised so far - more than jetBlue for a smaller airline! He really belives in startup capital! Even though the article mentions no direct connection between jetBlue and this new venture, I think there will be some kind of partnership down the road if it takes off:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/business/...trying_to.html
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:27 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
Nice!

I'd like to go to Brazil.

--Russ
Old Feb 14, 2008, 3:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Even though the article mentions no direct connection between jetBlue and this new venture, I think there will be some kind of partnership down the road if it takes off:
The hard part about that would be getting between the two countries. It is a VERY long flight and neither carrier (B6 or Chetah) have planes in their fleet/planned fleet that could make that hop. Plus there's the issue of operational authority. I can't find the specifics right now, but I'm 99% sure that the US and Brazil do not enjoy open skies status. Closest I can find is this, which talks about increased frequencies, but not open skies. On the plus side, the US has recently negotiated open skies with Camaroon and the Maldives, in addition to last year's landmark deal with the EU. Still, I wouldn't expect to see any real partnership with B6 unless one of the two carriers changes significantly from their current/planned operational model.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Even though the article mentions no direct connection between jetBlue and this new venture, I think there will be some kind of partnership down the road if it takes off:
A B6 partnership with the 35 RJ's that he's buying? I dont think we'll ever be seeing that partnership.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
First off, he's not buying 35 RJ's. It's more like 36 E190's - which are full size jets. Secondly, I never predicted a multinational partnership on either of the two company's metal. What I meant was something along the lines of a domestic partnership and maybe some kind of deal with an airline that does fly between the two countries. DOWN THE ROAD, as in not tomorrow - more like years out if anything
Old Feb 14, 2008, 2:18 pm

What I meant was something along the lines of a domestic partnership and maybe some kind of deal with an airline that does fly between the two countries. DOWN THE ROAD, as in not tomorrow - more like years out if anything
So you're hoping that eventually B6 and the new carrier end up in the same global alliance? I think that any chance of that happening will have less to do with Neeleman and his assocation with both carriers than it will in have to do with the odds that a global alliance needs a Brazillian presence.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:28 am

More talk about this recently. Apparently it's happening quickly because of Neeleman's dual citizenship.

http://oglobo.globo.com/economia/mat...-426299184.asp
http://www.transparent.com/TLBlog/Po...ogAnnouncement
Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:34 am

That second article is pretty misleading (the first one is in Portugese so I don't know if it is misleading or not ). It suggests that jetBlue is starting a second airline in Brazil, not that Neelman who used to be the CEO is starting a new airline. Either way, an announcement is expected on Thursday, according to the story.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Maybe Neelman is trying to be the next Richard Branson and have little jetBlues in many different countries.....jetBlue Brazil anyone?
Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
That second article is pretty misleading (the first one is in Portugese so I don't know if it is misleading or not ). It suggests that jetBlue is starting a second airline in Brazil, not that Neelman who used to be the CEO is starting a new airline. Either way, an announcement is expected on Thursday, according to the story.
I agree it's misleading. In fairness, the first link is just a blog site about learning Portuguese and not a news outlet.

Mostly I was just commenting that there's news in Brazil, so apparently progress is being made.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
The Portuguese article is accurate, here is my own rough translation/summary of the article:

The American businessman and founder of Jetblue, David Neeleman, is opening a new airline which has been under review by the National Agency of Civil Aviation (ANAC) since last week. The Globo news agency reports that on March 27th will be an official announcement about the launch of the new airline. Jetblue is one of the largest LCC's in the USA.

The operating contact of the new company was brought to ANAC on March 12th. In this step they just examine it for legal irregularities. Only afterward can Neeleman submit his business plan to ANAC and request a certificate to operate an aviation company.

As is takes time to get these documents and Neeleman plans to launch the airline by the end of this year, it is possible that he may join or buy out a regional Brazillian carrier to accelerate the process.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:38 pm

JetBlue Airways Congratulates David Neeleman on New Venture

http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix....765&highlight=

Originally Posted by Press Release
"We congratulate David Neeleman, our founder, and his team on their venture to launch a new domestic airline in Brazil," said Dave Barger, CEO of JetBlue Airways. "David is an expert at exploring market opportunities in the airline industry and stimulating travel demand. Creating a quality airline product by partnering with Brazilian aircraft manufacturer Embraer will be beneficial to the growing Brazilian travel market. On behalf of JetBlue's 12,000 crewmembers, I wish him well in this new endeavor."
No real news, but the Neelman experiment is moving full speed ahead down south.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:41 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
No real news, but the Neelman experiment is moving full speed ahead down south.
I just got that in my e-mail box. At first, I was wondering what they were getting at, other than wishing him well. Now I'm wonder if there are thoughts of him leaving altogether.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:56 pm

I found some more info on the Brazil announcement...

From one article:
Neeleman also said he is discussing his future as chairman of JetBlue with members of the New York-based carrier's board, and suggested that a decision on his departure from the post could come within several months.

"My attention needs to be here," he told a news conference in Sao Paulo, where the airline will have its headquarters.
More information here as well.

Off to the Other N&S America Airlines or Newstand forums to stir up more info...
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
I found some more info on the Brazil announcement...

From one article:

More information here as well.

Off to the Other N&S America Airlines or Newstand forums to stir up more info...
This start up coupled with his possible leaving B6 might be why he's been selling a lot his stock in recent time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.