Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Nonstop routes discontinued? (BOS-PHX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: you name it, I'm on it

I took a flight a week ago, non-stop Boston to Phoenix and back, went to book the same route today for later this month and poof! the nonstops are no longer available?
What happened? All the sales rep said when I called to question was they have been discontinued. Huh? My flight back was absolutely PACKED, so I can't imagine the route wasn't selling well. Was loving that JetBlue offered the non-stop, so looks like now I'll be back to Southwest or AWA when I have to travel to the desert. Taking a layover through JFK out of BOS really is a major letdown.
All I can think is it must be fallout from bad publicity back in February.
What a shame because I actually liked flying this airline...for as long as it lasted, that is. Wonder what else they'll be cutting back on.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Airlines Gold
Loads

PHX loads in summer have been disappointing. There is talk of returning the flight in the fall. Additionally, we simply do not have enough aircraft online to support a disappointing route. We are essentially using PHX's a/c for our new SAN nonstop starting later this month.

Please be advised I am posting this on my personal behalf, it is not an official posting from JetBlue.

Last edited by JAX2BOS; Jun 6, 2007 at 3:08 pm Reason: Disclaimer added
Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
As JAX2BOS stated the BOS-PHX loads are very disappointing in the summer months as most travelers in the norteast head to Florida and the western coast. We where constantly seeing horrible low loads on the PHX flight hence the cancellation of the route. I suspect the route will be back in the fall when the loads pick back up. Even USAirways is having a horrible time finding customers to fill the BOS-PHX route so it's not just us. The only reason you won't see USAirways cancel the route is because PHX is a hub and offers connections.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Smile

I would imagine the flight was booked solid like the original poster stated because of the fares.

I flew to PHX from JFK in March and only paid $89 each way. Thats freaking cheap!

--Russ
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone have any insight into how full (or not) the JFK-PHX flights are in August?

I booked 6 months ago for $149 (a bargain at only GBP 75 !) but I see the same (Friday) flight is still selling for just $189. The seat map shows the plane about half full.

Is there any risk of the 2 flights that day being merged into one?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Does anyone have any insight into how full (or not) the JFK-PHX flights are in August?

I booked 6 months ago for $149 (a bargain at only GBP 75 !) but I see the same (Friday) flight is still selling for just $189. The seat map shows the plane about half full.

Is there any risk of the 2 flights that day being merged into one?
Probably not. This would only work if they decided to delay half the passengers and also only if the inbound flights that make up the two were also less than half booked and they didn't need to move the planes/crew in that particular order for scheduling reasons. Airlines really don't just cancel flights on the day of travel for low loads all that often, though it does happen occasionally. Still, I wouldn't expect that yours will be merged.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
I suspect the route will be back in the fall when the loads pick back up
It is January 2008 by now and the route map still does not show a BOS-PHX route. What'sup with that?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
It is January 2008 by now and the route map still does not show a BOS-PHX route. What'sup with that?
Because B6 hasn't enough leak the A320 aircraft. That's why B6 has been discontinuation in 2007. It doesn't come back nonstop from BOS-PHX. I knew the loads has been done extremely very well. If B6 could be reinstatement from BOS-PHX in mid-2008. It will be free up some A320 for others more specific routes. Maybe if E90 could be enough reachable in PHX will have limited weight restrictions.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Several months ago Southwest Airlines dropped several transcon nonstops, including some of my favorites. I'm pretty sure their reason was low profitability, not low load factors. Those flights were pretty full, but a flight full of people who paid $99 each to fly across the country isn't going to make money. That airplane can fly two profitable short-haul flights in the same time. At least that's my guess.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nsx
Several months ago Southwest Airlines dropped several transcon nonstops, including some of my favorites. I'm pretty sure their reason was low profitability, not low load factors. Those flights were pretty full, but a flight full of people who paid $99 each to fly across the country isn't going to make money. That airplane can fly two profitable short-haul flights in the same time. At least that's my guess.
I agree that very low profitability is a key concern. However, from an economical point of view, short haul flight shoulds be doing even worse: for instance the cost of operating a BOS-NYC flight is much higher than operating a train or bus on this segment while the time-advantage for travellers is almost nil considering the intrusive and endless TSA lines at both airports.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 5:48 pm

I flew PHX-BOS-PHX around 5 times and at least 4 of the flights I had the whole row to myself. The loads overall weren't terrible, I just lucked out it seemed. On one flight I do remember maybe only 60-70 passengers total. Everyone seemed to have a window or aisle seat.

I wish they would add it back, but I also want jetBlue to be healthy and not fly routes that will hurt their bottom line. My dream is they add Phoenix as a focus city but that is very very wishful thinking!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B6 has adds nonstop from BOS-PHX-JFK only for Super Bowl weekend

Hi all,

I have heard B6 has been adds more flight only for Super Bowl weekend from BOS-PHX-JFK. Here the news releasable from B6:

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/080123/134893.html

Thanks all!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi all,

I have heard B6 has been adds more flight only for Super Bowl weekend from BOS-PHX-JFK. Here the news releasable from B6:

Thanks all!
The redeye back to JFK is nice, though I wouldn't expect too many folks to be sleeping if the Giants win. That being said, it is interesting that they are only serving each city one way and each city either before or after the game. I guess they just don't have planes to spare, which is pretty evident since they cancelled the OAK-BOS to get the plane to run the BOS-PHX flight.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Talking

Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi all,

Thanks all!
We are running a Super Bowl flight BOS-PHX on the first. I've been rescheduled to work the BOS-PHX flight on 02/01. We where suppose to work BOS-OAK but that flight was cancelled and rerouted BOS-PHX with us ferrying the aircraft to OAK after we drop off a plane load of excited Patriot fans! So if your heading to the Super Bowl via BOS-PHX on 02/01, I'll be working the aft of the cabin!
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
We are running a Super Bowl flight BOS-PHX on the first. I've been rescheduled to work the BOS-PHX flight on 02/01. We where suppose to work BOS-OAK but that flight was cancelled and rerouted BOS-PHX with us ferrying the aircraft to OAK after we drop off a plane load of excited Patriot fans! So if your heading to the Super Bowl via BOS-PHX on 02/01, I'll be working the aft of the cabin!
Yes, of course. I knew it. B6 will eventually bring it back second dailies from BOS-OAK in the future. After that B6 will done all ferried flights from BOS-PHX to drop the pax off at PHX. On Sunday late-night once they are returns back to JFK during more extra section for Giants fans are flying back home to JFK. I'm sure if some of those fans are extremely happy to wins the entire games next Sunday. Hopefully I can be extremely busy weekend due to Super Bowl weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.