Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Workers Accused Of Identity Theft

JetBlue Workers Accused Of Identity Theft

Old May 2, 2007, 8:40 pm

I'm a fan of jetBlue, and I admire many of jetBlue's unique qualities and strengths, but I must admit that my confidence in jetBlue has diminished over the past six months. I must also admit that I am paying more attention to details in my travels on jetBlue then I had in the past, and I can't help but notice numerous signs of a very weak infrastructure. It seems that David's Dream was OK when jetBlue was a fraction of its current size. When I reflect on jetBlue's beginnings, I am reminded of Midway Airlines when it was at it height, and operating a Raleigh-Durham hub. Midway did a very good job operationally (but not financially) as a one hub airline with a manageable number of spokes. jetBlue did a good job when it was of similar size to Midway Airlines at its height. It seems that jetBlue's infrastructure has never caught up to its growth of personnel, stations, and flight operations. I'd be curious to know how large jetBlue's internal security department is, and the credentials of and sophistication of their staff.
Old May 2, 2007, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
I'm just wondering why the customers did not cancel their credit card to begin with...
IMO, the customers were not responsible by forgetting their credit card. The first thing I do after ANY transaction ANYWHERE is check if I have my walle with credit card in it.
Blaming the victim?

In my experience, when a customer leaves without his of her card it is because the clerk neglected to hand it back to him or her.

If you think about it, how likely are you to set your credit card back down on the counter once it has been returned to you? Most people will immediately put it away as soon as it is back in their hand.
Old May 2, 2007, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bam Bam
Perhaps if they had an effective Corporate Security Department, the "ring's" actions could have been stopped, or at least, mitigated earlier.
Bam Bam, I'm happy to see you back again and I genuinely hope you are well. I must admit I take exception to the tone of your post. You appear to question the interigity and expertise of JetBlue's corporate security department. I'm pretty such that you know nothing about this particular department so you really cannot question their effectiveness. I know very little about the credit card fraud that did take place although to our company's credit it looks as if our security department did cooperate and work with the appropriate authorities. Additionally I just surveyed the profiles of the 10 main players who make up the bulk of our corporate security department and it was reassuring to see that jetblue have hired some impressive security personel. The majority of our security personel have 20 - 30 years experience with law enforcement agencies such as the FBI, NYPD and New York State Police. As honest law abidding citizens I think we should be thankful and feel more secure that these quality people are on our side.

Last edited by dietcoke; May 2, 2007 at 8:55 pm
Old May 2, 2007, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Perhaps if they had an effective Corporate Security Department, the "ring's" actions could have been stopped, or at least, mitigated earlier.
Since you know next to nothing about the details of this incident I don't see how you can make such an assertion.

The fact is the ring's actions were mitigated thanks to the actions of jetBlue.
Old May 2, 2007, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
And, similarly, I find your consistent need to commend JetBlue at every turn, minimizing and negating the reporting of the very real problems going on at the carrier, to be just as illogical.
Where am I commeding jetBlue at every turn? Read this thread. I used words such as "not acceptable" and "crime" in this case. I said management is NOT responsible for a few bad apples in the bunch. That's not commending jetBlue.

You only post on FT in the jetBlue forum when bad news - no matter how big or small - arises. That says something about your overall attitude.
Old May 2, 2007, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Top Tier
Blaming the victim?

In my experience, when a customer leaves without his of her card it is because the clerk neglected to hand it back to him or her.

If you think about it, how likely are you to set your credit card back down on the counter once it has been returned to you? Most people will immediately put it away as soon as it is back in their hand.
It's not blaming the victim/customer. However, the customer should have been responsible to at least notice their credit card was not given back to them. It's all about street smarts. I'm not perfect...no one is. The crime commited by the jetBlue employees is terrible as it is. However, the customers should have been somewhat more alert.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
I really am surprised, though, that the article quoted above would include the suspects' names. Even though the authorities may have pretty good evidence of their guilt, I really think withholding the names until, at least, they are on trial would be fair.
I'd be surprised if they weren't named especially once given the 'perp walk'.
Old May 3, 2007, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by j3823x
I'd be surprised if they weren't named especially once given the 'perp walk'.
When people are charged with criminal activity, they're named, and the media can report it. There's no such thing as withholding the identities of criminal defendants "until they are on trial." (Remember the Duke lacrosse team rape allegations -- all those defendants were named when charged, then charged were dropped a year later.)
Old May 3, 2007, 6:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by BearX220
When people are charged with criminal activity, they're named, and the media can report it. There's no such thing as withholding the identities of criminal defendants "until they are on trial."
Quite true. My PD has a press board with all arrests, and it can be reviewed by any member of the media that walks into the building. There are some things that can't be released (i.e. names of juvenile arrests, victims of sexual assaults), but adult arrests are public.
Old May 3, 2007, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
It's not blaming the victim/customer. However, the customer should have been responsible to at least notice their credit card was not given back to them.
There is no however here. And yes, when you say that the customer "should have been responsible," you are blaming the victim. That is the definition of blaming the victim.

Why can't you just say that the B6 employee screwed up and leave well enough alone?
Old May 3, 2007, 7:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
There is no however here. And yes, when you say that the customer "should have been responsible," you are blaming the victim. That is the definition of blaming the victim.

Why can't you just say that the B6 employee screwed up and leave well enough alone?
Why cant you just say that whomever did such an act should get the book thrown at them and leave B6 out of it! B6 had Nothing to do with this, it was the people not the company.
Old May 3, 2007, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by craz
Why cant you just say that whomever did such an act should get the book thrown at them and leave B6 out of it! B6 had Nothing to do with this, it was the people not the company.
Because that's not the way the world works and you know it? @:-)
Old May 3, 2007, 8:09 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Let's keep this civil and clear of any food fights. We had a problem with this last night and it should not happen again. If it does, the thread will closed.
Old May 3, 2007, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
The B6 employee(s) did more than screw up, they acted in a concerted, criminal manner.

But to blame jetBlue's management before the fraud ring was uncovered is simply ludicrous (magiciansampras: You are not the one who made this assertion).

As others have posted this kind of activity--unfortunately--happens constantly. Additionally, JFK has been the site of many notorious criminal entreprises over the decades, of which perhaps the most notorious was the Air France cargo operations infiltration by organized crime for almost twenty years.
Old May 3, 2007, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
The B6 employee(s) did more than screw up, they acted in a concerted, criminal manner.

But to blame jetBlue's management before the fraud ring was uncovered is simply ludicrous (magiciansampras: You are not the one who made this assertion).

As others have posted this kind of activity--unfortunately--happens constantly. Additionally, JFK has been the site of many notorious criminal entreprises over the decades, of which perhaps the most notorious was the Air France cargo operations infiltration by organized crime for almost twenty years.
Agreed.

My feeling on this one is that this need not be a big story for B6, since fraudulent activity like this happens with all kinds of corporations from time to time. The way to make it a big story is to insinuate that somehow the customer should have been more responsible (you aren't the one making this claim).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.