jetBlue Guides Market to Q1 Loss

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
jetBlue Guides Market to Q1 Loss

From Forbes.com
http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/0...markets11.html
In the aftermath of a full-scale operational collapse that resulted from an ice storm on the East Coast last week, beleaguered low cost-carrier, JetBlue Airways said Wednesday that it now expects a first-quarter operating loss.

The Forest Hills, N.Y. - based company said it now expects a first-quarter operating margin of negative 4% to negative 2%, compared with its previous estimate of 2% to 4% (profit.)

In general, when a company expects a negative operating margin, it's a sign that its projected sales are running behind its operating costs.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:30 am

Programs: Too many!
Originally Posted by KevAZ
From Forbes.com
http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/0...markets11.html
In the aftermath of a full-scale operational collapse that resulted from an ice storm on the East Coast last week, beleaguered low cost-carrier, JetBlue Airways said Wednesday that it now expects a first-quarter operating loss.

The Forest Hills, N.Y. - based company said it now expects a first-quarter operating margin of negative 4% to negative 2%, compared with its previous estimate of 2% to 4% (profit.)

In general, when a company expects a negative operating margin, it's a sign that its projected sales are running behind its operating costs.
I can't imagine this comes as a surprise to anyone. The real question is if they can stop the bleeding at 4%.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps the name might morph to jetRed? I am sure that Neeleman is feeling quite blue.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage, NWA Worldperks, SWA Rapid Rewards, Hilton HHonors, TripRewards
Perhaps the name might morph to jetRed? I am sure that Neeleman is feeling quite blue.
I still think Neeleman is in denial.

I like that, "jetRed."

The problem JetBlue faces is that this loss comes at a time when they will also, if they really want to fix their internal problems, have to make massive cash outlays to shore up a very broken system.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like that.

Problem is, jetRed would better describe an airline whose primary initial equity investor was a Republican backer, and not a Democrat.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Many of B6's enthusist as well a few others in the aviation business are eagarly anticipating the quick demise of Virgin America. Aren't thier colors predetermined to be red? Just a thought...
Old Feb 21, 2007, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Seat13c
Many of B6's enthusist as well a few others in the aviation business are eagarly anticipating the quick demise of Virgin America. Aren't thier colors predetermined to be red? Just a thought...
It's interesting to note the presence of a few obvious Virgin America supporters who also seem to be deeply critical of jetBlue. Of course, I understand why anyone would be critical of jetBlue after what happened on the "Valentine's Day Massacre," myself included.

Personally, I am very supportive of Virgin America getting off the ground and providing jetBlue and all the other airlines with some terrific competition.

In many ways, VA is an adaptation of the B6 business model, with the addition, of course, of 55" seat-pitch FC. Otherwise it would essentially be a premium LCC, just like B6, offering many of the same amenities (although, in all fairness, many of those were Richard Branson's innovations in the first place).

VA & B6 togehter would go a long way to build and solidify the new market segment of the premium LCC and help to create some competition for the legacies to really start improving their coach cabin product.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

No B6 Heifer Hauler service for me, thanks. I am very interested in Virgin America's F product however. ^ ^
Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:43 am

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Explain:

Why did JBLU lose 15% of stock value in the last 30 days?
That happened before VD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.