Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Legitimate Way to Get Through JFK Security Sans BP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P

So with "real" airlines (no offense intended), you can book a full fare ticket, get your BP, go through security and then get your ticket refunded.

Any way to do something equivalent on B6?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:24 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Well, since B6 does provide actual transportation by way of flying, it does seem, to me at least, that they should be considered a "real" airline.

In any case, since B6 doesn't sell refundable tickets, there's no way to do this that way. You could always buy the cheapest ticket, and then just cancel it, and have the value of the ticket put into a credit (minus the $30 cancel fee), but that would assume you're going to use it within a year. I know some airlines will provide a security document if you're picking up an unaccompanied minor, but I'm not sure about B6. Why would you wanna do this anyway?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by stevenshev
So with "real" airlines (no offense intended), you can book a full fare ticket, get your BP, go through security and then get your ticket refunded.

There are regulations in place that purposely dont allow just anybody to go to the secured area. What you are trying to do is obviously trying to circumvent regulations that are in place to protect the traveling public. If you don't have a valid reason to be at the gates without traveling (such as picking up a UM, meeting a disabled traveler, etc.), then you have no place being at the gates. Security lines are long enough with people who are traveling, why make them longer with people who arent traveling??
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by mrhotelman
There are regulations in place that purposely dont allow just anybody to go to the secured area. What you are trying to do is obviously trying to circumvent regulations that are in place to protect the traveling public. If you don't have a valid reason to be at the gates without traveling (such as picking up a UM, meeting a disabled traveler, etc.), then you have no place being at the gates. Security lines are long enough with people who are traveling, why make them longer with people who arent traveling??
Actually TSA is starting to relax the rules, to allow non-fliers to the gates...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...2-07-tsa_x.htm

In any event, you outrage is completely unwarranted... Buying a full-fare ticket and then refunding it does not jeopardize security in any way; your name is still checked against the (admitted to be inaccurate by the head of the program) No-Fly List, and you are still fully screened at the TSA checkpoint. The only reason for the rule is to reduce congestion at the checkpoint. So your last sentence is a valid argument, but please don't try to imply that security is jeopardized or that you are hurting TSA's attempts to "protect the traveling public."
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:47 pm

Programs: V-Flyer Black

Well (not that it is officially allowed) but is possible on Southwest. Buy the refundable ticket and clear security then call and cancel. Money is refunded as soon as the charge post. Did once to put up my paycheck when I forgot my airport ID (was employed by an airline at the airport, could have got a pass but the agents were busy and I did not want to help. Hell at $7.00 a hour and delaying with .....y elites I could careless).
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Just asking theoretically. Say you want to pick up a UM at the gate. B6 doesn't even issue Gate Passes for this purpose (according to TA at JFK today). On a mainline carrier, or apparently on WN per the last post, you do what I posted in my OP. I was just wondering what to do on B6 if I don't plan to fly anytime soon (and therefore the credit is useless).
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:16 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, OnePass
Just asking theoretically. Say you want to pick up a UM at the gate. B6 doesn't even issue Gate Passes for this purpose (according to TA at JFK today). On a mainline carrier, or apparently on WN per the last post, you do what I posted in my OP. I was just wondering what to do on B6 if I don't plan to fly anytime soon (and therefore the credit is useless).
Have you called 1-800-JETBLUE yet? They are remarkably helpful, so if you explain your situation, I"m sure they'll come up with something.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I do not think this is correct. I have picked up my kids on Jet Blue at LGA and gotten a gate pass. I would imagine the rules at JFK should be the same as LGA. Last time was in April, so things might have changed.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by justageek
Actually TSA is starting to relax the rules, to allow non-fliers to the gates...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...2-07-tsa_x.htm

In any event, you outrage is completely unwarranted... Buying a full-fare ticket and then refunding it does not jeopardize security in any way; your name is still checked against the (admitted to be inaccurate by the head of the program) No-Fly List, and you are still fully screened at the TSA checkpoint. The only reason for the rule is to reduce congestion at the checkpoint. So your last sentence is a valid argument, but please don't try to imply that security is jeopardized or that you are hurting TSA's attempts to "protect the traveling public."
Just a reminder, the TSA is only testing going back to the non-fliers at gates concept and that they havent really relaxed any rules yet. Hopefully they decide the test was not successful and keep things the way there are.

Also, sorry if you felt I was outraged, I just get bothered when somebody knowingly circumvents a rule or regulation that is in place for a reason. Unless you are actually flying, picking up a UM, or in some cases meeting a severely disabled or an elderly passenger, then you have no place at the gates. And yes, I still say "unauthorized" people going to gates does affect safety as it adds to the workload of the already overworked TSA agents and that can results in mistakes, missed prohibited items in baggage, etc.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:39 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Circumventing the security measures that are inplace is not advisable! The last thing you would want to do is get the TSA on your case because they are bred for confrontation and would welcome the oppurtunity to make an example of somebody caught doing this. Like the sign at the zoo says, "Don't feed the hungry bears!"
Old Dec 23, 2006, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
...never mind...

Last edited by justageek; Dec 23, 2006 at 4:40 pm
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:07 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Taken from jetBlue's website:

Unaccompanied Minor Information - JFK
Photo identification is required for both parties who drop off and pick up an
unaccompanied minor. Unaccompanied minors will not be accepted without
the guardian's photo ID.

drop off information

Only one adult may accompany the child to the gate of their departing flight. It
is the TSA's decision as to whether a young child, in addition to the
unaccompanied minor, may pass through security with the adult. We
recommend that the guardian remain in the terminal until the flight has departed.

pick up information

When picking up an unaccompanied minor on a domestic flight, you can meet
them at the baggage service office on the lower level of the Terminal 6 arrivals
area. When picking up an unaccompanied minor on a flight from the Dominican
Republic or San Juan, Puerto Rico, you can meet them at the Terminal 4 arrivals
area. Please arrive at the airport no later than 45 minutes before the scheduled
arrival.

Gate passes will not be issued at JFK to pick up an unaccompanied minor.
The child will only be released to the person indicated on the unaccompanied
minor form or on the reservation and that person must present their
government issued photo ID.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
Circumventing the security measures that are inplace is not advisable! The last thing you would want to do is get the TSA on your case because they are bred for confrontation and would welcome the oppurtunity to make an example of somebody caught doing this. Like the sign at the zoo says, "Don't feed the hungry bears!"
its impossible to prove (or even detect) because you'd have a legitamite ticket.

cheers.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:34 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Granted, this doesn't help at JFK, but I had an illustrative incident on Saturday. My little sister was flying MDW-MSP-YXE (on NW). I wanted to be able to say goodbye to her at the gate, but she also had her best friend and her best friend's mom seeing her off. The NW agent of course said only one person could go. The mom told her daughter to go.

Thankfully, once it was decided which one of them would go, all I had to do was walk over to the Southwest self-check-in kiosk and reprint my boarding pass for the "flight" I was taking later that day, booked with a one-way Rapid Rewards coupon. Once through security, I phoned Southwest to inform them that unfortunately, I would not be making my flight...could they please redeposit my award? Done in 5 minutes.

Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:30 am

Programs: TrueBlue, OnePass
truthfully, i don't know why you'd want to enter JetBlue's JFK terminal. It really is nothing special at all. Maybe once the new terminal is built, I'd understand wanting a peak, but I wouldn't spend too much energy on trying to evade security to see a cramped terminal with very average dining and shopping, at best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.